USMLE Step 1 Scored/PF Derm Top Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickjab1212

Reaction score
If you attend a top medical school, all else equal, should you elect to take Step 1 scored or PF - planning to apply derm.

assuming average grades medical student, I'm trying to weigh the chance of missing the mark scored. I have significantly more time to study for step 2 and have done well on all Shelf exams.

Members don't see this ad.

If you attend a top medical school, all else equal, should you elect to take Step 1 scored or PF - planning to apply derm.

assuming average grades medical student, I'm trying to weigh the chance of missing the mark scored. I have significantly more time to study for step 2 and have done well on all Shelf exams.
Whats top? T10? Id take it P/F and crush Step 2 (250-260+). Research Step 2 and clinical grades are the big 3. I applied IM so I dont know much about Derm but my app for IM was extremely competitive and ended up with quality interviews so I know for sure those three things are priority. If you do well in those on top of your top med school status youll have a great chance at Derm in my opiniom

Reactions: 1 user
Whats top? T10? Id take it P/F and crush Step 2 (250-260+). Research Step 2 and clinical grades are the big 3. I applied IM so I dont know much about Derm but my app for IM was extremely competitive and ended up with quality interviews so I know for sure those three things are priority. If you do well in those on top of your top med school status youll have a great chance at Derm in my opiniom
This is good to hear. I've been tirelessly reading post-after-post on how changing Step 1 to P/F will ultimately lead residency opportunities to be favored towards school reputation, so it's reassuring to hear research+Step2+clinical grades have more significance than school prestige.

This is good to hear. I've been tirelessly reading post-after-post on how changing Step 1 to P/F will ultimately lead residency opportunities to be favored towards school reputation, so it's reassuring to hear research+Step2+clinical grades have more significance than school prestige.
I agree that school prestige matters a lot and id put that in with the top three for sure. School rep will matter a lot going forward in my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that school prestige matters a lot and id put that in with the top three for sure. School rep will matter a lot going forward in my opinion
If this becomes the case, it just increases the pressure of pre-med students and their respective MCAT score much more, becoming more like the correlation between prestigious law school admissions and its inevitable relation to big law opportunities. My hopes are PD's and APD's shift their focus from Step 1 to Step 2 CK for evaluation, but only time will tell.

Reactions: 1 users
If this becomes the case, it just increases the pressure of pre-med students and their respective MCAT score much more, becoming more like the correlation between prestigious law school admissions and its inevitable relation to big law opportunities. My hopes are PD's and APD's shift their focus from Step 1 to Step 2 CK for evaluation, but only time will tell.
From what I've been told, it's more important to hit a threshold for these scores (now Step 2CK), then the process can be sort of random. It comes down to who is designated to look at your app, or connections that fast track this process. I believe the way that PDs can sort apps is by using filters (medical school, # research articles, # step 2ck score, # volunteer activities, MD senior, etc). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
So if this is correct, I assume they will have a pile of sorted by Step 1 & Step 2ck, then one for p/f & Step 2ck. just a guess