Step 1r's: Any Advice for an M1-->M2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeDocinNYC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so in my last free summer of med school, my friend says I should be starting to study now for the boards. I would like to know a) if thats true, b) what I should study (i.e, path, pharm, human behavior [haha]) c) what review material was the best in terms of preparing you for the actual test and d) how many months in advance did you begin to prepare and hours/week.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

wannabeDocinNYC said:
Ok, so in my last free summer of med school, my friend says I should be starting to study now for the boards. I would like to know a) if thats true, b) what I should study (i.e, path, pharm, human behavior [haha]) c) what review material was the best in terms of preparing you for the actual test and d) how many months in advance did you begin to prepare and hours/week.

A.) I respect your friends' opinion, but I have to disagree. You are going to need a break before you start second year, because once it starts, you are going at full throttle.

B.) Having said that though, if you do insist on doing something over the summer, I would review the *BASIC* sciences. Step 1, from my experience, tested the broad concepts of basic sciences - cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology, mechanisms of disease, and pharmacologic/therapeutic PRINCIPLES. You obviously learn the diseases and pharm during your second year, but you really have first year to really nail down the basics.

Know the basics (cell/molecular, biochem, physio) inside and out, and your second year (and boards) will go as smoothly as possible. And most importantly, enjoy your summer.

C/D) PM me for what I used for boards, i'm on my lunch right now and can't talk too long.

wannabeDocinNYC said:
Ok, so in my last free summer of med school, my friend says I should be starting to study now for the boards.

If they really said this, (s)he is not your friend.

wannabeDocinNYC said:

There is no reason to study this far ahead, you will not remember any of it when it really comes down to it. Year 2 is where you learn most of the frequently tested topics anyway.