Step 2 CS mistakes feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shannon13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I took my exam a while ago and expecting results very soon.
Despite trying very hard I can't focus on anything.
I've read pretty much every booklet and according to them I'm doomed.

I'm an IMG with no problem with English. I was very nice, empathetic, I believe.
I tried to talk to them as if they were my real patients.

My point is I didn't summarize the history. I didn't counsel on HT and weed/etoh (used very rarely but it was a tenager).
I also never asked: How does it affect your life?
I remember talking about work in case of fatigue, diarrhea etc but some cases I just asked qs related to the cc. That's it.

I always thanked, said sorry and was calm, confident.

I'm really afraid I failed the CIS portion :(

Is there anyone here who had similar problems and managed to pass?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I had similar problems and managed to pass.

On a more serious note, CIS (unlike ICE and SEP) can't be objectively (and more importantly, realistically) evaluated by the people you've been practicing with. The entire grading system for this component is so vague that the best you can do is assume that if the patient didn't "rage quit" on you - you've performed fine. Just like all of your predecessors - I missed questions, forgot to force myself into displaying ridiculously obvious empathy and didn't bother asking about the way one's diarrhea put him/her into an existential crisis.

The common wisdom is to acknowledge that nothing can be done at this point and try to suppress anything CS-related until the score arrives. Best of luck along the way, you passed. (If you're really freaking out, there's another USMLE-forum(s) which will remain unnamed in which there's an entire subforum dedicated to the sharing of "what did I do wrong on the exam and what was my outcome")

Reactions: 1 user
I had similar problems and managed to pass.

On a more serious note, CIS (unlike ICE and SEP) can't be objectively (and more importantly, realistically) evaluated by the people you've been practicing with. The entire grading system for this component is so vague that the best you can do is assume that if the patient didn't "rage quit" on you - you've performed fine. Just like all of your predecessors - I missed questions, forgot to force myself into displaying ridiculously obvious empathy and didn't bother asking about the way one's diarrhea put him/her into an existential crisis.

The common wisdom is to acknowledge that nothing can be done at this point and try to suppress anything CS-related until the score arrives. Best of luck along the way, you passed. (If you're really freaking out, there's another USMLE-forum(s) which will remain unnamed in which there's an entire subforum dedicated to the sharing of "what did I do wrong on the exam and what was my outcome")

Thank you for your input.
I should be getting my scores in a few days so I will just try to stay calm and positive.
Patients liked me (I think), most of them most smiling or at least, okay, when I was leaving.
Btw, I agree, this is so ridiculous. How can you ask someone how does your kidney stone affect your life? Haha.
We will see... Thank you!

Hey, I'm an AMG close to graduation. Had to retake the CS unfortunately. I'm a decent student (top 25% of my class) and always get great evaluations from attendings etc.

I failed the ICE portion (barely) and I couldn't begin to tell you why. Other than one work up section of one note that I left blank. Maybe physical exam wasn't thorough? I dunno.

To say one way or the other for you is just so difficult. I've read so many stories of people doing terrible things (like not even doing a physical exam) and still passing. I can't imagine how running out of time on one note caused me to fail if someone passed without examining a patient at all...

I've also read that counseling is a big part of the CIS component. How big? Who knows?

Point being... you can really only wait and see. I think the test is far too subjective. It doesn't help that the patients are actors, and you're trying to logically come up with a medical treatment plan for someone with no medical issues.

Hope you don't have to pay the fee again. Believe me it's even more annoying the second time around. Either way you'll get through it, I'm sure. Best of luck!