Step 2 CS- possible petition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keyathome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone is in my position but I figured I might ask around and see. I failed step 2 cs and passed on the retake and I am going to apply for fellowship soon. I did very well on the rest of my step exams but I think the step 2 cs attempt will probably filter me from a lot of fellowship programs. Given that the nbme is canceling step 2 cs permanently, I think there is a chance that the nbme may get rid of this exam from the records altogether? I emailed them but haven't heard a reply yet, not sure if they decided on this. If there are others in my position, maybe we can get together and send some kind of petition to the nbme that may help sway them? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if anyone is in my position but I figured I might ask around and see. I failed step 2 cs and passed on the retake and I am going to apply for fellowship soon. I did very well on the rest of my step exams but I think the step 2 cs attempt will probably filter me from a lot of fellowship programs. Given that the nbme is canceling step 2 cs permanently, I think there is a chance that the nbme may get rid of this exam from the records altogether? I emailed them but haven't heard a reply yet, not sure if they decided on this. If there are others in my position, maybe we can get together and send some kind of petition to the nbme that may help sway them? What do you guys think?

Who did you email? Fellowships/NBME? The exam is permanently done and whatever the replacement will be will be likely a completely different exam scored differently and everything. Now whether programs decide to use Step 2 CS for fellowship is another story. I think you'll be A-OK. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of other people who might want their CS scores on their transcripts. The USMLE isn't going to remove anything. They stopped the exam, there will be no more results. But a petition, or a lawsuit for that matter, won't change anything.

There are plenty of other people who might want their CS scores on their transcripts. The USMLE isn't going to remove anything. They stopped the exam, there will be no more results. But a petition, or a lawsuit for that matter, won't change anything.
yeah people can really brag their amazing score Of their step 2 CS. As we know there is a big range of score you can see...

I'm a little sad to see the Step 2 CS go, am I in the minority?! I thought it was nice to have a test, where you could actually see the applicant think on his/her feet, speak English, write a quick note, and not be a total dolt.

Yes you are. It was the biggest waste of effort/time/money.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a little sad to see the Step 2 CS go, am I in the minority?! I thought it was nice to have a test, where you could actually see the applicant think on his/her feet, speak English, write a quick note, and not be a total dolt.
Wat

Back when i took it was $1200...imagine buying gamestop with that chunk of change back then.

And a waste of several hours for studying plus going to the exam

Reactions: 5 users

I know I know. That was one of the biggest critiques of the CS . . . that it was nothing more than a 'cash grab'. I agree, but look, everything we've been through has been a total cash grab (all of the other tests, the review courses, qbanks, school itself, licensing, CME, BC/MOC, etc). We've been exploited up the wazoo.

Calling out the CS specifically for its expense is like complaining about the expensive condoms in a Nevada brothel.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I know I know. That was one of the biggest critiques of the CS . . . that it was nothing more than a 'cash grab'. I agree, but look, everything we've been through has been a total cash grab (all of the other tests, the review courses, qbanks, school itself, licensing, CME, BC/MOC, etc). We've been exploited up the wazoo.

Calling out the CS specifically for its expense is like complaining about the expensive condoms in a Nevada brothel.
This sounds like Stockholm's syndrome to me.

If we've been "exploited up the wazoo" why would should we want more pointless tests that take more money we don't have?

That's like saying a person shouldn't complain about an abusive relationship since they've been abused in the past before.

Reactions: 5 users
ok, I guess I will just send an email to nbme, I figure it can't hurt and if there are others in my position, please private message and I will also cc you on the email

ok, I guess I will just send an email to nbme, I figure it can't hurt and if there are others in my position, please private message and I will also cc you on the email
Any time you spend on this pointless exercise is time wasted that could be spent doing something that could actually help your fellowship application, like a case report, poster at national conference, etc.

Even jazzing up your personal statement for an extra 30 minutes would ultimately help your fellowship application more than writing this silly email.

I mean, why stop at CS? Since step 1 is now pass/fail why don't you also ask them to block your step 1 score from being seen?

Reactions: 1 users

Meh. The cost was a pain. But it's also that there are so few sites. And you have to pay for airfare/travel, hotel, food, etc. Step 3 basically said "screw it, just use a computer".
Then again, gave me an excuse to enjoy Philly.

The test is a good one; it does assess basic skills required to be a functioning physician. The scenarios are also very common (no zebras or anything). Completely agree it is incredibly overpriced, though. Had it been $500 or so it would have been fine.

The Step 2 CS is the most scammiest Test in the History of Test Examination. Literally Had no Point and after 100millions of dollars raked in, no evidence to prove the the test was worthwhile. I only ever saw ONE paper published in JAMA or the Journal of Academic Medicine that indicated that Students that Fail the CIS portion MAY have a hard time in intern year.. Other than that no other solid evidence for it.

Further I am willing to be the test has some interesting truths about it. Let just say that that information is kept tight to the chest and the NBME wont be letting THAT go anytime soon....

Then when the NBME saw the incredible money making opportunity that existed, then expanded it to US Grads.. SMH. People complaining about why the NBME president (a man that presumably has not teaching appointment and does teach medical Students or Residents) earns over $1MM, a salary greater than some University Deans or Presidents and far greater than you know....... actual clerkship directors or Residency Program Directors.

And I have heard some of the silliest arguments for why CS failures should still count and boy I will tell you, coming from Whole Doctors. My Guy, THE NBME is telling you, by their actions, about how they feel about the test. I don't need to suppose or imagine anything. They, by their own hand, permanently cancelled the test. If this test was SO Important, So Vital, So necessary to the training for Medical Doctors they why is it that and Entire Medical School graduating class is now going without the benefit of it?? The fact is that Most Doctors that have ever trained in the US did not have the benefit of CS and they did just fine