Step 2 CS: What does YOUR school think about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puffy1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten word that the failure rate for Step CS in trial runs thus far has been between 10% to 12%, far higher than the predicted failure rate of 5% proposed by the NBME. In some schools that don't have a standardized patient program, the failure rate has been as high as 18%.

Also, with only five testing sites in the US, it seems as if it will be extremely difficult to 1) schedule an exam early and 2) retake the exam and obtaining a score before graduation if you fail the first time.

Most schools (I believe) are requiring that their students pass both components of Step 2 to graduate. Are there any rumblings/concerns that any of you know of at your school about Step 2 CS?

Members don't see this ad.

It is quite the outrage at my school and not only amoung students. We have several faculty members who are still fighting hard to get the ******ed test revoked.

i still find it amazing that people are calling it a ******ed test...we take a standardized test to evaluate our basic science skills, i think it is entirely appropriate to also evaluate our clinical skills. and, the higher than predicted fail rate shows that there are even more people lacking in these basic skills than anticipated. perhaps this will inspire schools to better prepare students!

i do agree that the cost and inconvenience are ridiculous. that should be changed. if that is your only problem with the test, than i am on your side 100%. there is no reason it should cost so damn much, and no reason it cannot be given at every US med school a couple times a year at least.

but, the test is likely here to stay. get the cost down, yes. more locations, absolutely. but, i have yet to hear a reason why physical exam skills deserve to be less evaluated than basic science skills. so what if you think that the PD course your school makes you pass should be enough? your school teaches you pathology as well, but you are required to demonstrate knowledge of that through the USMLE. this test is just the USMLE for another essential skill. if you can't pass the test, it is certainly not the fault of NBME for requiring you to take it.

learn the skills. pass the test. simple.

Someone in this forum (can't remember who) once suggested that individual residency programs ought to be given the ultimate decision as to whether or not an applicant's Step 2 CS score even matters. Therefore, if one program liked the CS exam (or felt it was accurate) but another program didn't agree with it (or felt it wasn't necessary), then they could both go about it their own way (requiring vs. not requiring).

I think this is a nifty idea, but probably not one that will ever be utilized

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Stinger86
Someone in this forum (can't remember who) once suggested that individual residency programs ought to be given the ultimate decision as to whether or not an applicant's Step 2 CS score even matters. Therefore, if one program liked the CS exam (or felt it was accurate) but another program didn't agree with it (or felt it wasn't necessary), then they could both go about it their own way (requiring vs. not requiring).

I think this is a nifty idea, but probably not one that will ever be utilized

there is no score for CS, it is graded pass-fail.

it isn't up to the residency programs because standards for licensure depend on the NBME.

The only thing that bothers me about this new test is the cost. The fact that so many people are failing this test is sad. I'd be interested in seeing if certain programs are having more of a problem with this exam compared to others.

At my school, not only are we bitter about the cost of the test ($975), but also the airfare needed to fly to LA ($300+). :(

if you are graduating in 2005 you can't take step 3 until you complete both parts of step 2
that's nbme rule

the real question is if the AMA is gonna pursue litigation and lock this thing up in courts for a while.

personally i think attendings should evaluate these qualities
schools should require their attendings to do this during rotations
using actors in a test is a cheap cop-out

I am currently a first year resident who thank god does not have to deal with the new Step 2 CS exam but who did have to pass a similar OSCE exam to graduate. (Ive already passed Step 3 as well) Besides the cost and travel issues, the main problem is that this exam is not standardized and objective because it depends on an actor's evaluation of how you relate to them.

Although I did better than average at my school, I got points taken off by many evaluators (actors) because I did not appear to take the exam seriously/ did not have the appropriate disposition for the situation. The problem is that medical students, unlike the evaluators who are actors (although some evaluations are done by people behind a one way mirror), are not actors. I can't pretend that the person in front of me is a real patient when I know full well that they are not real patients. If I could, I would be in Hollywood, not in the hospital everyday.

Thats my 2 cents