Step 2 release?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicatMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - appreciate any advice you can give me!

I got my score back this week. My step one was 242, but my step 2 went down to 238, both 99. I'm applying for internal med and have a number of good interviews (Duke, Mayo, etc), but I already released my scores having selected the release option back in september ...and so I was wondering to what degree does this affect my chances at my desired programs? I was concerned about it and was hoping others could shed light on this type of scenario. thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on great Step 1 and 2 scores! Honestly, with a 4-point difference, I think you're fine. You already have great interview offers and you've proven that you're consistent with your USMLE scores. Hope you're having fun on your interview trail!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh you poor thing. a 242 down to a 238. they'll prolly pull all ur iv's.
you're a ******

It will have no negative effects. Honestly, those are both very high scores for internal medicine, and essentially the score is unchanged from Step 1 to Step 2.

I do agree it's a bit of silly question, though. Sometime who has gotten through PGY3 and could get interviews at IM programs that good should probably know the answer to this. The OP should relax and focus on her interviews instead of worrying about what others will be thinking of her test scores...those will likely not play a role at this point.