Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LookOutFox

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3rd year here. I'll probably go MD residency, so I took the USMLE step 1, obvi. Now that it's over with, I keep hearing from other students that I'll have to take step 2 CK. Is that true? Am I going to have to take step 2 CS as well? Cuz if I do..... grrrr..
 
What I've heard is that you need to take the Step 2CK, but do not need to take the CS. Hell, that would be an extra ~$1,200.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some programs require CS, e.g. UT Houston IM says "All applicants must take the USMLE. We do not accept COMLEX as your only exam. All applicants should take both portions of the USMLE Part 2 by December 31st, 2014."
 
Most programs don't require that you have taken CS/PE before your interview. All that matters is that you pass when you take it in 4th yr. Worst case scenario, you interview and ask them what they'd prefer. If they say they need to see CS taken and passed, you should have enough time to take it and submit the results before ROL (although that would be a huge pain and waste of money).

As costales said, some programs might spell it out, but that can't be that common. As always research programs you're interested in.
 
I will echo what many have said. If you took Step 1 you should take Step 2 CK, most programs will want it. Plus what's a few more pennies in the bucket at this point 🙁, well that and sitting through another long exam.
 
I will echo what many have said. If you took Step 1 you should take Step 2 CK, most programs will want it. Plus what's a few more pennies in the bucket at this point 🙁, well that and sitting through another long exam.

This is totally specialty dependant