Step 3 and fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GassiusClay

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe I missed the sticky on this.

Does Step 3 play an important role in getting a fellowship? Or is it one of those secondary factors if they are looking at 2 candidates who are about the same?

I just took Step 3, and with my luck, I ended up getting a little sick late the first day. I trudged through since I couldn't reschedule at that point. I made it. I passed. Only received a 92 versus the high 90s on the first two tests. So, am I screwed if I ever did try applying for something like GI or Cards? Or they just care if you pass?
 
Regarding Cardiology fellowship, I interviewed at UMDNJ where I was told that my low step 3 score 79 is a negative factor though I had 98 and 96 on Step 2 and Step1. However I think you are in better position with 92. So for future aspirants be serious about all the exams to make yourself competitive.
 
what about the importance of step 3 for less competitive fellowships (i.e., infectious diseases)?

should i even take it if my program doesn't require that it is taken right after PGY-1?