Step 3: Does it matter which state you register through???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluorescein

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an intern in a different state than where I'll be doing ophtho residency. Does it matter which state I register for Step 3 through? You have a choose a state board and I'm finding it confusing. It seems it doesn't matter where you take the actual exam (ie. could take for state I'll be doing ophtho in while I'm still here as an intern) but that it may be easier to go through my current state/program. How does this usually work???

Would love some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for step 3 when I was still in Pittsburgh, PA. I applied for it under the state of Connecticut simply because they don't require any postgraduate training in order to take step 3 (I took it before internship).
I then took the actual test in North Carolina. Then, I moved to Texas to do my internship!

So, it doesn't matter where you take it and under what state you take it. But it's always to double check with your program director.

Hope that helps.

It doesn't matter at all....

Your scores for all three steps will be held by the Federation of State Medical Boards (www.fsbme.org). When it comes time for licensing, you will authorize the board (FSBME) to release your score report for verification to either the institution who is sponsoring your license or to the state board when you end up applying for your permanent license.