USMLE Step 3 exam in 3 days!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainFantastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

My exam is in a few days and I'm quite stressed about it. I want someones opinion of what they think of these assessment scores and what they would do and if they have any advice for me.

Kaplan 1st time ave ---> 59%
Kaplan 2nd time ave ---> 67%

Uworld 1st time ave ---> 57%
Uworld 2nd time average ---> 75%

UWSA Step 3 ---> 450/204 (58% correct)
NBME 4 --- > 400 (52 wrong)

I have to take it by December and I have my dates as 20th and 29th December. Should I be confident enough to take the exam? I understand there is a huge risk because of my borderline scores but at this point I'd honestly take a 196 and be done with this exam.

Anyone who has taken the exam, how heavily tested is prognosis questions and if there is a method to answering those questions other than from memory? I feel like so many questions on uworld are so vague, I'm wondering if the exam itself is as bad? Not sure how data could be collected but how many people with these kinda scores have passed and how many have failed?

Any advice is very much appreciated.Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

My exam is in a few days and I'm quite stressed about it. I want someones opinion of what they think of these assessment scores and what they would do and if they have any advice for me.

I have to take it by December and I have my dates as 20th and 29th December. Should I be confident enough to take the exam? I understand there is a huge risk because of my borderline scores but at this point I'd honestly take a 196 and be done with this exam.

Anyone who has taken the exam, how heavily tested is prognosis questions and if there is a method to answering those questions other than from memory? I feel like so many questions on uworld are so vague, I'm wondering if the exam itself is as bad? Not sure how data could be collected but how many people with these kinda scores have passed and how many have failed?

If I were you I'd focus on CCS and aim to get the performance to the higher performance area. Some people who have gotten borderline scores (but who passed) and those that got close to 220 could've scored higher if they did better on their CCS performance more to the far right.

If you can get your Day 1 and Day 2 MCQ performance to at least borderline, you can pass this test if you do well on CCS. In other words, the CCS will get you past the 196 mark if you can at least do borderline on MCQs on Day 1 and Day 2. If you do below borderline on Day 1 and 2 MCQs, the better you need to do on the CCS to balance it out and get a passing score.

It's easier to do well on CCS with practice than MCQs in my opinion especially if you are borderline. Focus on Uworld ccs and expect cases that aren't on uworld.

By practicing uworld ccs you will know how to approach any patient with a variety of symptoms. And for those other cases that may not show up on uworld, you just use your knowledge you gained from practicing uworld ccs and from Step 2 to diagnose And treat the patient.

Last edited:
There were prognosis and risk factor questions which you can look up on Medscape. The thing is with your time crunch, you should focus on high yield diseases and who knows what they will ask.

Last edited:
Hey,

Your NBME score correlates to a 210. Current mean is 225 with a SD of 15. Your UWSA is 204 which is good considering some people have scored much less (180s, 190s) and have done well on their exam.

I would say take it but make sure you do the best you can possibly do on CCS since it can only boost your score the better you do on it. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the positive and detailed feedback. I have a week in between both test days so I plan on doing all the CCS cases on uworld. I do hope it all works out for the better. I guess at this point I should be confident and not doubt myself and see how things turn out. Thanks again.