STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
EM intern here. Scored a 248. Very relieved.. I thought I did poorly, test was very difficult I thought I messed up a ton of the CCS cases. I did about 80% of u world and half the u world ccs cases. In hindsight I may have been nervous also because I took this test not as seriously as I feel it should be given how difficult the questions were. Curve must be huge. Anyway goodbye USMLE!
Any background on how you were scoring on UW %-wise? Also, did you take UWSA and if so what was your score on that. Taking this thing soon and not thrilled about it given I'm slammed in residency and am not even close to getting through UW. TIA.
-Z

I just finished my first day.
Felt like I got worked over. Def more guessing/educated guessing than step 2.
How poorly do you really have to do to not pass?
I finished most of U world on random with like 73% correct but the real test felt overall harder and more questions had multiple answers that I could have justified

I just finished my first day.
Felt like I got worked over. Def more guessing/educated guessing than step 2.
How poorly do you really have to do to not pass?
I finished most of U world on random with like 73% correct but the real test felt overall harder and more questions had multiple answers that I could have justified

Felt the same, probably pretty poor, and I can't imagine a >70% UW average ending up as a Step 3 failure.

Don't know if you did the UWSA, but I actually had 50% range block scores on UWSA itself (was in the low-mid 60% range on the actual UW qbank), and the UWSA historical comparison had me at around 220 with that. Go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Day 1 was rough. Thanks to the USMLE for making me feel like an idiot. Lots of Qs I could narrow down to 2. Everyone keeps telling me Day 2 is better. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Passed! 219. Dropped 40 points but I'm still happy given my lack of effort. Don't sweat this test even if you make tons of careless/judgment errors throughout the test, have issues with timing, whatever. There's enough slack in the system to make it all work out if your UW%/past step exams are decent going in.

I got the same score! Man I am so relieved. I was almost certain I failed the thing after leaving the testing center and never imagined I would get that score (and it's not even a good score!). I'm a 3rd year neuro resident so I was pretty far removed from peds, ob/gyn, and a lot of medicine stuff. All I did was uworld questions (59% correct, untimed, random sets usually 10-20q), made extensive notes on all of the questions and reviewed those notes the week before the test (optimally wanted to go over incorrect questions before but was on busy rotations so couldnt't), did all of the CCS cases twice, and looked over the Crush USMLE chapters on peds and ob/gyn just because those were my shakiest subjects.

I guess the test does have a massive curve! I seriously can't believe I passed.

day 2 done.
could sets of the MCQs were easier, but overall still hard I thought.

I think all but like 3 of the CCS cases were okayyy.
But on 3 of them, I literally couldn't get the case to end.
Thought I was missing something obvious, kept re-evaluating stuff. Then when that wouldn't work and I tried an intervention "Patient refused". wtf.

Here's to hoping that I won't be taking this garbage a second time.

Any background on how you were scoring on UW %-wise? Also, did you take UWSA and if so what was your score on that. Taking this thing soon and not thrilled about it given I'm slammed in residency and am not even close to getting through UW. TIA.
-Z
I scored I think 68 or 69% on the u world I did and didn't do the self assessment. I wouldn't worried dude test def generously curved I felt pretty darn bad about it like I said previously. It was the lowest step score I got of all 3 but I also put the least effort into it and I think scored pretty well for that (as if that matters anyway).

Wow just finished my Step 3... i feel like i got F@#$@# spanked.... No joke this exam was a trip. ~~~ I just hope i pass... 3 weeks and a score of 190 is all im hoping for now...

Felt the same, probably pretty poor, and I can't imagine a >70% UW average ending up as a Step 3 failure.

Don't know if you did the UWSA, but I actually had 50% range block scores on UWSA itself (was in the low-mid 60% range on the actual UW qbank), and the UWSA historical comparison had me at around 220 with that. Go figure.
Hi what UWSA historical comparison are you referring to? I scored about 50% on most blocks and the UWSA score I got was a 257. I'm very confused by this. Please help anybody (taking test very soon). Thanks.
-Z

Hi what UWSA historical comparison are you referring to? I scored about 50% on most blocks and the UWSA score I got was a 257. I'm very confused by this. Please help anybody (taking test very soon). Thanks.
-Z

Their three-digit score is what I meant. It's a comparison score, not "officially" a prediction even though it tends to have moderate to strong predictive value going by many posts here.

Their three-digit score is what I meant. It's a comparison score, not "officially" a prediction even though it tends to have moderate to strong predictive value going by many posts here.
I don't understand how the heck I scored 257 on UWSA when I only got about 50%? Is this an error?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna keep it short since the old test has already ended....
IM resident (2nd yr)
UW 65% using tutor untimed mode, finished 80% of it, actually did a dozen cases and read the answers for a couple dozen more
Step 3 score 245
Step 1 & 2 scores between 245 and 255
The first day was particularly tough. The questions were ridiculously long, lots of unnecessary detail, multi-step questions, some pathophys and basic science stuff, drug ad and abstract interpretation questions that take forever, lots of guessing and rushing to finish on time ...generally pretty brutal. The second day was a breeze. Very short straightforward questions, lots of one-step diagnosis or simple two-step management questions, no drug ads, abstracts or heart sounds. The cases were fairly straightforward and predictable (you can guess what the person had immediately in all the cases except one that was a bit of a zebra).

Good riddance to the USMLE!

Psych PGY-3. Scored 242. Did about 80% of qbank on tutor mode with a score of about 70%. Did only the nbme ccs practice cases.

Giving back, having posted similar for both Step 1 and Step 2. I realize that people coming to this thread from now on will be taking the "new", November 2014 and onward exam, but I feel like past experiences are still valuable given that only some, not all, of the exam is changing from what I understand.

I'm an American MD and an emergency medicine upper level.

Step 1: ≥ 240
Step 2CK: ≥ 240

UWSA: ~220 about two weeks out

Step 3: ≥ 230

I passed comfortably and above average for the exam but dropped substantially from my Step 1 and Step 2 scores, reflective of comparative time spent prepping.

Prep: purely UW. About a 63% average on timed/unused questions. Did about 3/4 of the bank interspersed over 5-6 weeks preceding the exam, with long stretches without a single question completed. Played through 1/2 of UW's CCS cases and read scoring/synopses of the rest. Overall, spent much less time prepping for Step 3 than either Step 1 or Step 2. UWSA above.

Exam day 1: Rough. On par with the sinking feeling many described here. Many long stems. Abstract and drug ad questions are often convoluted, imo, and chew up time. Occasional esoteric subject matter, as well as some more truly primary care questions that I have forgotten since med school. Some very straightforward questions. Overall, marked as many as half of the questions in some blocks, maybe a third in others.

Exam day 2: Better. Most question stems were shorter. Felt like there were more frequent "easy" questions interspersed with moderately difficult and difficult ones. Sim software still a little awkward to use despite using UW's CCS interface. Most sim cases ended early. The shorter, 12-minute cases, less so. Very easy to forget simple but important nursing orders. Endings felt more abrupt than in UW CCS. Ended the day early with some long breaks between cases.

Postmortem: Had no idea how I did at the end of day 2. Felt awful after the exam and hated having to wait. Felt like there were a lot of nuances in CCS cases that would have been "gimme" points had I prepped more thoroughly for it. That said, no bar on performance report crossed into "lower" performance.

Things I wish I had done despite passing:

1. Started UW earlier to finish the bank and do incorrect questions, and to do all CCS cases.
2. Scheduled a day or so off after the exam, if possible.
3. Taken the exam early in intern year. Step 3 as a senior resident isn't fun.

So long, USMLE, and thanks for all the fish. Future takers: good luck!

Took exam sept 25/26

US MD at a TY going into Rads next year
Step 1 >250
Step 2 >250

Step 3 - 250

I 'studied' for about 7 days. Only two of those days I really put in good time (On the weekend), the other 5 was during the week where i'd do like an hour of questions. Finished about 2/3 of USMLE world and a little more than half of the CCS world cases. Didn't use books or anything else.

I left the first day feeling like I got SPANKED. Guessed on way too many. Lots were vague and could have convinced myself for more than one answer. I thought day 2 felt about the same.
The cases were mostly straight forward but I had 3-4 that I could not get to end no matter what I did - patients even refused some of the treatment/intervention I was trying at the end because I had no idea.

Freaked out for a good 3 weeks that I was going to be re-taking it.
Thank god that garbage is over.

It's been a long time since I posted so here goes. I am a PGY-2 Psychiatry resident and just got my step 3 results yesterday. Read through MTB3 2-3 times while doing UWorld. Did UWorld once completely with a 55% average in tutor mode. Reviewed the wrong questions once. Took the UWSA and got a 210 one week before the exam.

Step 1: 230s
Step 2CK: 230s
Step 3: 216

My score would've been higher if I had not done so poorly on CCS. Please don't take this part of the exam lightly, prepare for it well.

270+ step 1 and 2
step 3 247

time studying? ain't got no time for that. winged!

Hello All,

Im a PGY-2 General Surgery Resident at a very prestigious surgical residency. Some background information: I took Step 3 in 2014, and failed by 1 point (Scored 189.. so painful to fail by 1 point). That time, I studied 9 days, finished 60% of Uworld with an 54% average. Did all the CCS cases. I listened to everyone, as they say "its an easy test" or "I didn't study for it" which may be true of residents who are in primary care, E.D. or Internal medicine, but as a surgical resident, I don't get exposed to a lot of the topics that are relevant to the test. Also, studying on my schedule with amount of hours I work, it was a terrible choice not study in advance and take this test lightly.

This time around, I studied 3 solid weeks (was on a research rotation), Uworld average 64%, timed, random Read MTB once, I felt it was a good overview, but did not have a lot of the specifics, but was still good for a non-internal medicine, primary care resident. USWA 227, 2 days before the test. My step 1 score was high 220's, Step 2 CK was 230's. Just got step 3 back, and scored 209.

The first day was miserable, with long stems, not enough time. The second day was more manageable, however still difficult. CCS cases ended early, but it was difficult to remember all the nursing orders and little points like that, which can make the difference.

Im happy that I passed, and done with this test forever. I wish you all the best in the future. Do not take this test lightly, as it is not a cake walk. Definitely study for the CCS cases, and definitely utilize Uworld to the maximum. I used the "niraj's 100 golden rules for CCS" which i felt was helpful.

Best of luck, to all future test takers. I hope no one ever has to go through failing this test, its just an awful experience filled with anxiety and doom when you don't know how things are going to work out.

And... done w/ Step 3 (hopefully).

Briefly, initially scheduled myself to study for a period of 4-wks, however, that turned out to be a total of 2-wks, instead.

Only used UW qbank and CCS; couldn't really amount to reading any books (it looked depressing to stare into the pages of MTB.)
The first of Sept, I took my ITE, which I thought would've prepped me well from an endurance standpoint (I was wrong.)
Nonetheless, completed 74% of UW w/ a cumulative score of 65%; went over the CCS cases x 1.

Day 1 of the exam; mixed feeling... some questions were good, some were easy, and some came out of left field (as in every other Step we've taken).
I felt fatigue set in during my 4th and 5th block, where I found myself having to reread the majority of the cases cause I was so out of it; and this is w/ me already in the habit of ready the actual question first and then the stem. I would run into the 5-minute screen for the majority of every block w/ still the drug-ad q's to complete. This was a little anxiety producing for me, as I've never had an issue w/ time management on any of my previous Step exams... but I was able to complete each block. Like everyone else, walked out w/ mixed feelings about it.. LOL (darn you, you USMLE!)

Day 2 of the exam; much better questions, however, some weird anatomy q's that were completely and utterly inappropriate for the nature and degree of this exam (at least I think... LOL); but for the most part, the questions were much better than they were on Day 1 of the exam. A lot of the "locked-in" question sets pretty much let you know if your initial answer was correct or now as they describe the subsequent management on the part 2 of the each question set, which was nice.

The CCS cases... the software was identical to UW (props to them). The cases were a bit weird at first; the majority of the cases ended w/in 4-5 minutes; and this included me counseling, etc. But for 2 of the cases, I just kept plugging away, not sure what in the world was going on, until in one, it came to me; but I was able to finish those in 8-10 elapsed minute (not sure of the outcome, however).

All in all... I just feel good about being down w/ the USMLE examinations, and hopefully for good (we'll see in 3 weeks).

In retrospect, some of the questions are beyond the scope of what UW presents. I'd say that this applies more so for OB/GYN and Peds q's, which by the way, every other darn question on the exam was "... 28 week's gestation..; ... 36 week's gestation..." :mad:.

At any rate, UW does more than enough in preparing you for this exam, especially w/ familiarizing yourself w/ the CCS software. Wish everyone else who is taking the exam (or recently finished it) the best of luck, and hopefully we can all put USMLE behind us for good in 3 weeks. Cheers and enjoy!

P.S. will update w/ score :cool:

Final score: 235 :)

Just got the score report. I will give a short version of my experience. I would be happy to give more details if anyone is curious.

IM PGY-2
Step 1: 260s
Step 2: 270s

UW: 76% first pass timed random 48-question blocks, also completed all UW CCS cases. Started studying about 8 weeks out with a progressive increase in intensity.

Step 3: 257

After 5 days of testing, ~$3000 (not including prep materials), and countless hours of study, I am happy to say goodbye to the USMLE forever. Next step, ABIM. It never really ends...

I'm not sure if this will be helpful due to the new exam format but I'll give a quick recap since I frequented this thread.

Step 1: 265
Step 2: 269

I used Uworld exclusively. Went through the questions once on tutor mode. Read through the explanations that I got wrong. Finished at 71% Did all CCS cases one time through. Sometimes I would repeat them really fast immediately after I completed them just for muscle memory purposes.

Step 3: 253

Not great but not bad. See you later USMLE :)

Giving back to the thread:

PGY 2 Path resident, admittedly remember very little clinical knowledge/skills. I took the exam 9/22-23. I used some old 2009 Premier Review lectures and notes someone gave me. I also did 100% of UWorld with an average score of 55%. Also did all CCS cases. I spent 3 months studying on easy rotations, but only for about 2-3 hours a day. I think it would be better to compress it into 4-6 weeks of longer days, but I can only study for so long at one time. I passed with a 203. Crappy score, but who cares? It's Step 3.

Any recent updates? I'm basically going to wing Step 3.[/QUOTE
when are you taking it? I have mine in 10 days and havent seen many new posts about the new exam! sooo frustrating:( Please let us know how urs goes!! Thanks and good luck:)

The FIP section is kicking my ass. I suck at stats. My UW FIP avg is 55%. ACM 66% (overall, 62%). Step 3 is like 3 exams in one it feels like now lol

for people like me who went unmatched and would like to take step 3 to boost their application for next season, any additional advice besides that given in this thread? Sorry if I've overlooked a specific post that is addressing my question. Failed Step 1 once (barely passed on second try), Failed CS once, 246 on CK @ first attempt and definitely ready to get Step 3 out of the way. Your time is appreciated.

I passed. So glad the nightmare is over.

A little bit about me: PGY2 in Peds and a mediocre test taker. Barely passed Step 1 and had to repeat CK.

I finished World with 56% average. On UWSA, I got a 211. On the real thing, I got a 200; so a little bit worse than expected but still a Pass!

I am a mess on test days and I actually didn't finish 2-3 blocks by 1 or 2 questions. But still it was enough to make it through. Good luck!

Passed, >230

4 weeks semi serious studying. Took about a week between the 2 testing days
U world average 68% random untimed tutor
Went through CCS cases once

Step1 >250
Step2 >250

Felt bad coming out of there, glad this is over. Probably should've spent more time with CCS, that was lowest section. Good luck all, get it over with ASAP

Last edited:
Just got my score back today. Wanted to pass along some data as I left that test feeling terrible and like I failed it (as absurd as it may sound).
Step 1 >250
Step 2>260
Step 3 - 255
I kind of half studied for a week or so over Christmas +/- alcohol involved +/- TV. Then dedicated a week to studying which only included Uworld and the CCS practice cases. My average was in the mid 70s I believe. I hated the CCS cases and really felt ambivalent about them on the test day. It's just so hard to tell if you are doing well or not. I did have 2 cases which clearly went poorly including a vag bleeding case in someone without atypia (?) on bx and a pHTN cases were I'm pretty sure I didn't put an IV in... Overall, my advice would be to do as much of the Uworld cases as you can, don't stress about other sources, do the CCS Uworld cases just so you know how the software works, and be confident.

Did U World Qbank 68% (roughly) timed, dragged out over months studying on the evenings of lighter rotations, skipping it on the tougher ones. Did the practice test, which gave me a score of 225. Did about 2/3 of the U world cases the last week, often rushing through them.

Due to scheduling conflicts, couldn't take the test in my home city, had to drive a couple hours to take it over two weekends. First weekend was probably the worst test day in a while. Ate at some nasty diner night before first day. Caffeinated heavily at a gas station and bought some low quality snacks. Signed in, did the ridiculous pat down/fingerprinting, and started the first block.

5 minutes in, felt stirrings within. Ignored them, chugged through questions. Stirrings progressed into powerful feelings of internal pressure. Kept chugging. Feelings of internal pressure progressed into stabbing cramping pain. Gritted teeth, devoted half of attention to test, the rest to maintaining rectal tone. Pain became severe. Became overcome by fear. Fear of becoming a Prometric legend, and/or bowel rupture. Finished block early, with 15 minutes to spare. Very hastily signed out.

Spent next block in wash of endorphins, and a near stupor of sweet relief. Spaced out a bit. Had to rush to finish.

Decided against eating low quality snacks. Spent day hungry and fearful.

Day 2: Very busy week, didn't study. Brought breakfast/lunch from home, avoided diner of doom. Sleepy and grumpy from previous week, found second day MCQ relatively easier, chugged through them. Found cases a little perplexing (basic idea seemed straightforward, but sometimes couldn't make case progress, or would sometimes have cases resolve after 2 minutes).

Score came back today: low 240's. Breakdown showed low pass on CCS.

Good enough. Take home point: Even with all that misery and inconvenience, lack of dedicated study time, it just isn't that bad of a test. I would study hard for it iff one is anticipating applying into a competitive fellowship. Otherwise, just doing Qbank/cases on your off time is good enough.

Last edited:
Did only Uworld questions x1 (58% overall), and CCS questions x1.5. Felt like I was guessing on the entire exam and got a lot of serial questions wrong. Scored 205.

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1: 242
Step 2: 250

68% first run through qbank on random, untimed.

Took the new step 3 sleep deprived (was trying to transition to days after a 10 night stretch).
Felt awful about the test realized multiple mistakes I had made
CCS went fine. All cases ended early with the exception of 1 which gave me a hard time

Score back today: 228

Not great, but thrilled to pass and be done with these tests

Hi all. Long time lurker, short time poster. Giving back.

Background: allo graduate from American medical school, PGY2 resident in upper middle tier academic internal medicine residency.
Step 1: 250s
Step 2: 250s

Step 1 and Step 2 I should preface, I studied for quite a lot more than I did for Step 3.

My test preparation was difficult as it was undercut by a family wedding (during which I was doing jack in terms of test prep), death in family, and difficult clinical rotations. Spent about two weeks intermittently studying during that time. However, I had an elective afterwards followed by vacation during which I studied more intensely. However, I must say my effort was quite terrible; I can't fathom how I doubled down so well for Step 1 (and even to some degree for Step 2). I used MTB, which was less helpful than I felt some made it out to be, as it had absolutely no biostats and the ethics section was woefully incomplete.

UW average percent score not really relevant here as I did tutor mode. I didn't have the energy or time to go through UW in a timed fashion. UWSA score in mid 240s.

Anyway, day one of testing was beastly difficult. Lots of pathophysiology questions (including some drug mechanisms which required me to hearken - probably unsuccessfully - back to step 1 material), but not a lot of overtly straightforward "basic science" material. Quite a few biostats and ethics questions, thankful that I studied the biostats well. Most of the questions were medicine related, with a fairly wide range. Second most prevalent were OB-related for the most part. I did not find the drug ads or the abstracts nearly as difficult as I expected, surprisingly. However, the various 3-4 step questions involving difficult management, mechanisms, etc, while I could usually guess at them, were still quite hard. I walked out feeling defeated, and relieved, but with extreme trepidation that I had yet another bloody day of testing ahead.

Day two was much faster and felt much easier. The shorter sections and relatively easier questions were great. Most were straightforward diagnosis and management questions. No biostats or ethics. The CCS cases were... okay, but bizarre. I finished nearly all of the cases in 4-5 minutes, even the 20 minute ones; on at least 2 or 3 I did not enter in a final diagnosis. The actual management within each case seemed to go ok. There was a peds case to which I didn't know the answer, but I gave the kid antibiotics and he at least initially seemed to get better. On about half the cases I got absolutely no feedback by the end as to how I did.

Needless to say, after hearing about the score blackout, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my score had been released yesterday.

Step 3 score... 240s. Very close to my UWSA average, surprisingly.

Either way, I'm glad that's done. Too bad I have the ABIM in a year. At least I never have to try and memorize peds again.

Step 1: 241
Step 3: 255

Step 3 studying: started 1 month out. Read all of MTB x 1. Completed ~80% of UW questions with 73% correct. Did all of the UW CCS cases. Took the UW practice exam 1 week prior with estimated score of 251.

Step 1: 241
Step 3: 255

Step 3 studying: started 1 month out. Read all of MTB x 1. Completed ~80% of UW questions with 73% correct. Did all of the UW CCS cases. Took the UW practice exam 1 week prior with estimated score of 251.

If you don't mind me asking, did u recently get your score (april)?

Also was ID a very commonly tested on your actual exam? On UW qbank, ID is the most frequently tested topic (~ 12% of total Qs ), more than Cards and GI! Just wondered if this distribution was representative of the actual exam.