USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Took my test 3/12 and 3/13. Sunday, 4/4 nbme website permit link gave me an error message and was unavailable. Monday 4/5 the permit link disappeared altogether. Tuesday, 4/5 my fsmb status changed to expired and looked like the picture below, gray box without any yellow box to re-apply. Before this, the status said approved and there was a gray box at the bottom stating " Your USMLE Step 3 application has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application. " I never saw a yellow box to re-apply. Hopefully this trick works!!

Attachments

• usmle step 3 img.png
    usmle step 3 img.png
    68 KB · Views: 416
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has this "trick" been working after Prometric reopened, since the eligibility period was automatically extended until Dec 2021? My eligibility technically expired in April so FSMB still says Approved but the gray box at the bottom says application has expired but due to COVID I wasn't able to take the exam until June. So even before I took the exam, there was a gray box that said your application expired, but in the top it says Approved. Just wondering if others were in same boat before getting their score and how the trick played out

Has this "trick" been working after Prometric reopened, since the eligibility period was automatically extended until Dec 2021? My eligibility technically expired in April so FSMB still says Approved but the gray box at the bottom says application has expired but due to COVID I wasn't able to take the exam until June. So even before I took the exam, there was a gray box that said your application expired, but in the top it says Approved. Just wondering if others were in same boat before getting their score and how the trick played out

I am sort of in the same boat, except before they extended the eligibility for everyone, I started filling out a request to extend my eligibility myself through the FSMB website. I currently says the status is "Approved" and at the bottom in a gray box shows "You have an Eligibility Extension request that has not been completed." Not sure what this means in regards to the "trick".

I got my results last week and my permit actually didn’t change status until early Monday morning (like 3 am-ish. I was waking up basically every hour and checking)
Gotchya, good to know. I’ll just try to wait until tomorrow morning instead of checking all day/night. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still don't understand the trick but for those who tested week of June 15 scores should be out (got mine).

so my permit disappeared, its monday, FSMB status says Approved, my eligibility expired June 30th cant extend BUT the Gray box below says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." with no yellow apply link. Im confused, Please let me know what ya'll think.

Yup, same here, it’s expired. But what worries me is my eligibility period is expired, and for some people the yellow apply link showed up after the results show up, hope that’s not the case. Hope everyone passes, best of luck everyone.

Status: expired without a link. I thought you have a link vs not before the results release.... that is the “trick.” ????

Praying we all pass!
Honestly it don’t make sense to me but I guess we’ll find out tonight if it works or not. The anxiety is on another level for me.

Yup, same here, it’s expired. But what worries me is my eligibility period is expired, and for some people the yellow apply link showed up after the results show up, hope that’s not the case. Hope everyone passes, best of luck everyone.
did the trick work for you?

It's 12:19 a.m. on the 4th Wednesday after my exam (Dec 22) and my score just went up. My permit link was up on Monday (MLK day) but went down earlier yesterday (Tuesday) and the FSMB application expired with no link to reapply at the same time.

PASSED @ 221. Dead average, but all I needed was a pass. So happy!

Sayonara, USMLE!

My only advice to everyone... Review your stats, read through and practice ccs cases, and for goodness sake's DON'T INTUBATE ANYONE!

Gotta go to sleep. My patients are getting a sleep deprived but happy and licensable doctor tomorrow.
Why don't incubate? I had a case didn't improve until I intubated her and I believe that it may be denied by patient or his family if unnecessary.

Why don't incubate? I had a case didn't improve until I intubated her and I believe that it may be denied by patient or his family if unnecessary.

Maybe they were getting at the idea that invasive procedures (edit: when not indicated) may dock you points. On an unrelated note, my Prometric proctor told me one student had SEVEN people DIE during her 13 CCS cases. Glad I didn't have that experience

I am sort of in the same boat, except before they extended the eligibility for everyone, I started filling out a request to extend my eligibility myself through the FSMB website. I currently says the status is "Approved" and at the bottom in a gray box shows "You have an Eligibility Extension request that has not been completed." Not sure what this means in regards to the "trick".
mine says the exact same thing in the gray box, although status turned to expired this AM. I think my score will be out this week. extremely nervous to find out if i passed or not. I'm hoping you passed!!

No need for any tricks... I took my Step 3 August 25-26 and got my score result today, a mere two weeks later. I didn't do as great as I wanted, but I passed. Good riddance, USMLE

Took my 2nd day on Wednesday September 16, 2020, permit link went down on Sunday, Status expired on Monday with no link to reapply (I’m skeptical because only 2 weeks have passed from last examination day)... Does this mean I passed and will get my results at midnight? Anybody else expecting results today at midnight?

Took my 2nd day on Wednesday September 16, 2020, permit link went down on Sunday, Status expired on Monday with no link to reapply (I’m skeptical because only 2 weeks have passed from last examination day)... Does this mean I passed and will get my results at midnight? Anybody else expecting results today at midnight?
Me!
Edit: passed!

Last edited:
Took the 2nd part Wednesday the 16th. Didn't check when the permit link went down or status expired. But it did have no link to reapply.
I had to check the candidate website but I passed!! Thank goodness It's over

Hi guys for step 3: when i click on my permit it say's Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.
What does this mean? nervous please advise.
When i go to fsmb... status is approved.. i really dont see any link to reapply.
registration status on https://apps.nbme.org/ states "complete"

day
Hi guys for step 3: when i click on my permit it say's Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.
What does this mean? nervous please advise.
When i go to fsmb... status is approved.. i really dont see any link to reapply.
registration status on https://apps.nbme.org/ states "complete"
when did you do your exam

it is on IWA site where you print your scheduling permit. In your case, I think you might have to wait till next Wednesday because you recently took your exam 1 week ago