USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I had it like this when I failed and I have it like this now so really I do not think is a real trick but the majority of people have it like this and the majority of AMG 99% pass so it is not a trick
I failed it so I can tell it does not work

Attachments

• BBDFAA7D-41C3-43C3-8A6F-C9FC663D0C89.jpeg
    BBDFAA7D-41C3-43C3-8A6F-C9FC663D0C89.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 258
I forgot as soon as the score was out saying i failed the yellow box came out and I started the new application

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's just the gray box. It has to say "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." And you should still be in your eligibility period. Because why would it force you to start a new app completely if you're within your eligibility period if you failed.

Once you take your test, pass or fail, your eligibility period ends. You have to sign up all over again.

Can you link the information? I took the test 2/18 and 2/19 this Wednesday will be the 4th wednesday..
Step 3 – Delay in Score Reporting
If you need to receive Step 3 scores before March 25, 2020, the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) recommends that you take the exam no later than December 31, 2019.
Most Step 3 scores are reported within four weeks of testing. However, because of necessary annual modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees who test in early 2020. The target date for reporting Step 3 scores for examinees testing in January and February 2020 is Wednesday, March 25, 2020.
No USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, or Step 3 examinations will be administered January 1-14, 2020.
Examinees should monitor the USMLE website for the latest information.

Someone posted earlier that usually scores are released one week prior to the “target dates” with delays, but who knows at this point

Last year there was a score delay as well. The target date was for the last week of March, just like it is for this year.

Scores were released a week earlier than expected for last year (go to page 12 of this thread if you need confirmation).

Meaning, for those individuals whose status on FSMB says 'Expired,' there is a possibility that scores will be released at midnight (EST) tonight.

This is total guesswork btw lol based on some digging around in these posts. If it happened last year, it could definitely happen this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How about me, my permit link expired but status in progress for 3 weeks
This is rather extreme. Something definitely glitchy with the website - and I think this should give you hope because it is inconceivable that your test was scored 3 weeks ago.

PASSED!!!!!!! Scored a 209. See my other thread for details of my experience. Trick worked for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Passed 238

UWSA2 215
UW first pass (50% completed) 68%
Pretty much no protected study time
Did half of CCScases.com and found it very helpful, and printed off UW CCS case scenarios for the flight over to the US to do the exam

Sayonara USMLE

Reactions: 1 user
Found out I matched on monday, passed step 3 today

UWSA1 4 weeks out was 182.
UWSA2 2 weeks out was 220
UW% was 61

Step 1 - failed first time, second time 205
Step 2 - 248
Step 3 - 232

WOOO

Reactions: 1 users
Found out I matched on monday, passed step 3 today

UWSA1 4 weeks out was 182.
UWSA2 2 weeks out was 220
UW% was 61

Step 1 - failed first time, second time 205
Step 2 - 248
Step 3 - 232

WOOO
Mind sharing how you prepared and for how long?

Mind sharing how you prepared and for how long?
I took step 2 in August so things were relatively fresh. I studied for 6 weeks using Uworld qbank x2, and I did biostats and CCS as many times as Possible. I read master the boards twice I think.

Can anyone explain the “trick” to me? Took my second day on March 13, so this Wednesday would technically by the third Wednesday.
There are three parts to the trick:
Part 1 - your permit disappears the week that you get your result (usually 2-5 days before)
Part 2 - on the fsmb exam services section, when you click on eligibility extension, you should not be able to extend eligibility.
Part 3 - your exam status should change (I think it should stop saying approved or something)

sorry I’m not great on the detail. The only trick that actually works is that your permit should disappearin the days leading to your result

with the FSMB website down (can't do anything step 3 related, it'll prompt a covid 19 page and tell you to check back April 2nd), I don't think you can use any trick. my permit link is gone, my day 2 was March 9. I dont even know where my score will be lol

with the FSMB website down (can't do anything step 3 related, it'll prompt a covid 19 page and tell you to check back April 2nd), I don't think you can use any trick. my permit link is gone, my day 2 was March 9. I dont even know where my score will be lol
It will be on the nbme website