STEP about one month out, starting to freak.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Took another NBME: 211

Stupid required school COMSAE I forgot about lol: 55X

1 week out and UWSA2 and free120 to go!
I never hit the 230 mark on NBMEs and got 249 on the real thing. UWSA was closest. You’re on the right track.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I just took Step and COMLEX, I can agree with the above poster to just take it one question at a time. Don't dwell on hard questions, answer to the best you can and move on. I don't know how I did yet, but take solace in the fact we studied our butts off and did what we had to do to prepare. You're going to do great.
Yeah I hear that! I'm trying not to psych myself out now too much, I keep thinking, "Man what if they ask everything in a way I don't get or they test heavily on my weaker topics?"

I know that's irrational thinking so I just try and push it away.

I never hit the 230 mark on NBMEs and got 249 on the real thing. UWSA was closest. You’re on the right track.
That's encouraging to here!! Just looking for that score where one's chances for surgery start to increase enough to match (community and former DO programs at least).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing for my frame of mind on test day was just knowing that it was ending. I’d never have to study like that ever again. Even if I didn’t know what was happening on a question I was just like “Pfft! Don’t know that and probably never will. Suck it nbme!”

Reactions: 3 users
The best thing for my frame of mind on test day was just knowing that it was ending. I’d never have to study like that ever again. Even if I didn’t know what was happening on a question I was just like “Pfft! Don’t know that and probably never will. Suck it nbme!”
I remember that feeling during the MCAT, especially during the last section.

I can recall the final 25 minutes or so when I was burning out and not comprehending anything saying "This nightmare is going to be over in less than 30 minutes no matter what at this point."

I imagine hearing "Hello darkness my old friend..." when I walk into the testing center tomorrow morning since it is the exact same location I took the MCAT lol.

Just took UWSA2 and got a 239! Feeling stoked right now and hoping I'm not one of the massive over predictors lol.
Uwsa2 is the most predictive from what i’ve seen. Uwsa1 overestimates and nbme underestimates. You’re in a great spot!

Reactions: 1 users
What's done is done now. No going back, I can only hope for the best!

You really do come out of there saying "I have no idea how that went.".

COMLEX in a few days now. Boy I can't wait for that one...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Uwsa2 is the most predictive from what i’ve seen. Uwsa1 overestimates and nbme underestimates. You’re in a great spot!
Funny, cause I did better on the NBMEs than UWSA 1. Finally coming around to taking this monster exam in 2 weeks as I'm getting ready to start 4th year.

Not sure if it's normal or not but I woke up this morning feeling really shi**y for some reason. Like I'm going to open up my score in a few weeks and see something low or just lower than what I was shooting for. I'm sure this will subside a bit in the upcoming days but it all just struck me now.

Not sure if it's normal or not but I woke up this morning feeling really shi**y for some reason. Like I'm going to open up my score in a few weeks and see something low or just lower than what I was shooting for. I'm sure this will subside a bit in the upcoming days but it all just struck me now.
Bro I scored in the 250s and was positive I failed. This is a normal feeling. What’s done is done. Move on.

Reactions: 4 users
UWSA2- 7 days ago : 230
UWSA1- Today: 230 again!!!
NBMEs 25-30: scores 195-213
Free 120 planning to take it Saturday
4 days away from the big headache !!
Doing questions, questions, questions !! Any advise from you guys to increase/ maintain the score?? I’m
Aiming 230+ On Tuesday!!!

Thank you all, appreciate your advise!!

UWSA2- 7 days ago : 230
UWSA1- Today: 230 again!!!
NBMEs 25-30: scores 195-213
Free 120 planning to take it Saturday
4 days away from the big headache !!
Doing questions, questions, questions !! Any advise from you guys to increase/ maintain the score?? I’m
Aiming 230+ On Tuesday!!!

Thank you all, appreciate your advise!!
At this point, I’d just look at sketchy micro/pharmacy cards (if you do anki). Make sure you can write out all of your stats formulas cold. And just keep rewatching pathoma ch 1-3.

The point this close to d-day is NOT to master new material. It’s to make sure you ace the stuff you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I’d just look at sketchy micro/pharmacy cards (if you do anki). Make sure you can write out all of your stats formulas cold. And just keep rewatching pathoma ch 1-3.

The point this close to d-day is NOT to master new material. It’s to make sure you ace the stuff you know.
Thank you ! I agree with you. Thank you for the advise, I just want to confirm that I’m not addressing it in a wrong way at this point.

I also got 210-220 on NBME's.... I hear they dramatically underpredict... 225 on both uwsa and 78% free 120.

Got 540 on comlex ONLY studying for USMLE.

I think with your free 120 and sick uwsa2 u will do very well.

I also got 210-220 on NBME's.... I hear they dramatically underpredict... 225 on both uwsa and 78% free 120.

Got 540 on comlex ONLY studying for USMLE.

I think with your free 120 and sick uwsa2 u will do very well.
I’m hoping so!

The questions I know I got incorrect are what remain on my mind so it’s hard to think you did well when that’s what you focus on post-exam.

I have my exam next Monday. Scored 232 on UWSA1 and 228 on UWSA2. Never broke >210 on the new NBMES (took 26 and 30). I'm freaking out lol.. Goal is 235+ but what do I know now at this point. Just wanna be over with this exam and take whatever the punches it throws at me

I have my exam next Monday. Scored 232 on UWSA1 and 228 on UWSA2. Never broke >210 on the new NBMES (took 26 and 30). I'm freaking out lol.. Goal is 235+ but what do I know now at this point. Just wanna be over with this exam and take whatever the punches it throws at me
Getting my step back in 2 days. Will let u know what I get lol

Welp my fears came true unfortunately...

Score: 224

• Care
Congats man! That's awesome :thumbup:

Gen surg is about 50% with 224 so I know I'll have to apply broadly and really be realistic.

Hey man you did your best. Don't let a number define you, you'll be a great surgeon
Thanks man, I've never been a great test taker which is why I began prepping for this thing so early. I just wish I had something more to show for it.

I agree that numbers should not define students, I'm just worried about them PDs and score cutoffs lol.

Thanks man, I've never been a great test taker which is why I began prepping for this thing so early. I just wish I had something more to show for it.

I agree that numbers should not define students, I'm just worried about them PDs and score cutoffs lol.
Congratulation on finishing it and PASSING this beast exam. I understand your frustration, especially since you unperformed significantly from your practice exams. Do not, however, let this one stupid multiple choice exam get in your way of becoming a great surgeon. If PDs have eyes and ears, they will see your work ethics during rotations/Sub-I and take you into their residency programs over other people w/ just high step1 scores but nothing else to contribute to their programs. Get some rest today and start rowing to your dream again starting tomorrow.

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulation on finishing it and PASSING this beast exam. I understand your frustration, especially since you unperformed significantly from your practice exams. Do not, however, let this one stupid multiple choice exam get in your way of becoming a great surgeon. If PDs have eyes and ears, they will see your work ethics during rotations/Sub-I and take you into their residency programs over other people w/ just high step1 scores but nothing else to contribute to their programs. Get some rest today and start rowing to your dream again starting tomorrow.
Thanks for your words, definitely appreciated 👍

Now what’s concerning is a number of programs that are saying you need a minimum 225-230 to apply. Several of these were former DO programs that I anticipated on being able to AT LEAST apply to. According to FREIDA.

Last edited:
Thanks for your words, definitely appreciated 👍

Now what’s concerning is a number of programs that are saying you need a minimum 225-230 to apply. Several of these were former DO programs that I anticipated on being able to AT LEAST apply to. According to FREIDA.
That sucks man. Totally expected 230 ish based on your uwsa scores. You’ll be auditioning like crazy in 4th year. But it ain’t over yet.

That sucks man. Totally expected 230 ish based on your uwsa scores. You’ll be auditioning like crazy in 4th year. But it ain’t over yet.
Thanks man.

I don’t even know what back up plan to have now. IM? Psych?

Im feeling crushed.

@Surgery D.O. is there a “home” program or a general surgery program affiliated with your school? If so I would try to do a rotation there my third year even if it’s another core site, just try to make it work out, this way you get some FaceTime with the PD.. and then go back there for a SubI your 4th year… it would help in having a fall back option if you impress the PD..

@Surgery D.O. is there a “home” program or a general surgery program affiliated with your school? If so I would try to do a rotation there my third year even if it’s another core site, just try to make it work out, this way you get some FaceTime with the PD.. and then go back there for a SubI your 4th year… it would help in having a fall back option if you impress the PD..
There are.

I unfortunately did not end up at one for for my core rotations. I can try and see about that though.

I was also just told not to take cut offs listed on Frieda as a hard and fast rule. One of the programs I was looking at had 225 as their cut off and my buddy said to ignore that. Can anyone comment on this?

There are.

I unfortunately did not end up at one for for my core rotations. I can try and see about that though.

I was also just told not to take cut offs listed on Frieda as a hard and fast rule. One of the programs I was looking at had 225 as their cut off and my buddy said to ignore that. Can anyone comment on this?
Doesn’t matter, just do one rotation there, I know people who did this from my school…. Cutoffs can be overcome with letters and/or SubI rotations..

Thanks man.

I don’t even know what back up plan to have now. IM? Psych?

Im feeling crushed.
Not a surgical type. I won’t pretend to understand the types of things that scratch that itch. Most people think going into a procedural specialty will be “good enough”. But nothing’s ever “good enough” for you guys/gals. If that’s you then it’s cool. Just be the best GD auditioner they ever saw.

Not a surgical type. I won’t pretend to understand the types of things that scratch that itch. Most people think going into a procedural specialty will be “good enough”. But nothing’s ever “good enough” for you guys/gals. If that’s you then it’s cool. Just be the best GD auditioner they ever saw.
I’m only an incoming 3rd year but have already been told the same thing actually.

I ended up getting a 237. That was exactly my average of my UWSA1 and 2 scores. Good job everyone. We did it

I ended up getting a 237. That was exactly my average of my UWSA1 and 2 scores. Good job everyone. We did it
what was your uwsa1 and uwsa2, if I may ask?

I took Step 1 last year and got a 229 after getting a 245 on UWSA1 (before dedicated) and a 256 on UWSA2, so I totally know the feeling. The thought that I should have scored better has stayed with me throughout the year but it's been a great motivation to do well on rotations and shelf exams. Feel free to PM me if you just want to vent to someone.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I took Step 1 last year and got a 229 after getting a 245 on UWSA1 (before dedicated) and a 256 on UWSA2, so I totally know the feeling. The thought that I should have scored better has stayed with me throughout the year but it's been a great motivation to do well on rotations and shelf exams. Feel free to PM me if you just want to vent to someone.
Oh my dude/dudette I'm so sorry to hear that!!! That is ridiculous!

I've been reading stories like this and can't figure out what happens. I've been chasing the mice in my head about it the last few days. I know I will get over it but yeah it really stings.

Got 76% on Free 120. Exam in one day :/ Ready to be over with this exam already. Wish i didn't burn out in the mid way of my dedicated period (wasted like 2 weeks) but i guess regretting won't make any difference! Good luck to anyone who is still preparing for this exam and see you all on the other, better side :)

Got 76% on Free 120. Exam in one day :/ Ready to be over with this exam already. Wish i didn't burn out in the mid way of my dedicated period (wasted like 2 weeks) but i guess regretting won't make any difference! Good luck to anyone who is still preparing for this exam and see you all on the other, better side :)
I got 78% on 120 and scored 227. Good luck!