STEP about one month out, starting to freak.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeon D.O.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker but first time poster on here.

My STEP is about 33 days out and am beginning to lose my mind a bit. Maybe this is me reaching out in hopes that someone will tell me everything will be ok, which I understand the world does not owe me.

I am on my 2nd pass of UWorld and 55% done. I the first 45-50% on system based and average was about 70%. Now I am on random which I knew I would definitely struggle with a bit at first and now I am at 67% and starting to worry.

I plan on taking my first NBME or UW full length either tomorrow or the next day but I could really use some words of encouragement. I am not a rockstar student and looking for 230+ / 575+

Thanks SDN, I hope this post does not come off the wrong way.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I missing something? I don't think you're doing bad OP. Above 65% I thought was fine especially if you are not shooting for something like 250+.

Get a full length under your belt and see where you're at. You still have a dedicated month.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you delay Step?
Why should he delay step? I think he'll be fine. He's averaging above average on UW. He just need to take some practice tests.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate the replies from each of you. I will take an NBME tomorrow (I bought test 30) and will go from there. My peers are saying I should be fine if I continue to stay buckled down over the next month.

For 4 weeks out you're just fine. Don't sell yourself short. People go from 190s NBME's to 240s+ Real Deal with 4 weeks of dedicated. I have personally seen it with multiple students.

I appreciate the replies from each of you. I will take an NBME tomorrow (I bought test 30) and will go from there. My peers are saying I should be fine if I continue to stay buckled down over the next month.
do not be too upset if your NBME score is low, they can heavily underpredict due to a nasty curve. Go instead by your percent correct. if you are 75% or more correct, you are sitting good to reach your goals

Reactions: 1 users
I will post back after the NBME, I fully anticipate it not going great lol.

I appreciate all your words of encouragement though, thanks SDN.

Lol I was reading all this and thinking if OP is screwed , I am too I since it seems we have common goals and Im in a similar percentile with Uworld. Also keep in mind that while a high average is great to have for confidence, UW is really a learning tool and at the end of the day there is only one test that matters, so get all your wrong answers out of the way now.

Long time lurker but first time poster on here.

My STEP is about 33 days out and am beginning to lose my mind a bit. Maybe this is me reaching out in hopes that someone will tell me everything will be ok, which I understand the world does not owe me.

I am on my 2nd pass of UWorld and 55% done. I the first 45-50% on system based and average was about 70%. Now I am on random which I knew I would definitely struggle with a bit at first and now I am at 67% and starting to worry.

I plan on taking my first NBME or UW full length either tomorrow or the next day but I could really use some words of encouragement. I am not a rockstar student and looking for 230+ / 575+

Thanks SDN, I hope this post does not come off the wrong way.
I had simmilar percentages as you and hit a 235...

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
If this is a second pass, then maybe your averages are a little inflated tbh. Just make sure when you’re doing the questions, that you not only know why the answer is correct, but also why the other answers aren’t and what would need to be in the stem to make the wrong answers correct. I actually took the timer off to make sure I could do this.

That being said, based on the info you you’ve given us I really can’t see a situation where you don’t get at least close to your goal. The deciding factor will be if you can dial it up and not get discouraged and burn out.

i wouldn’t be surprised to see the update in two months where you tell us you cracked 240.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love
33 days out is enough to improve

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp first NBME is in and I got a whopping 199

Number 30
NBME’s tend to underpredict and the new ones seem to be pretty hard from what I’ve seen on Reddit. I took 25 a week ago and got killed, like a 15 point drop from NBME 22 3 weeks ago. Try UWSA 1 and see how you do there.

Yeah I'm going to UWSA 1 in the next couple days.

The NBME predicts my range to be 189-215 which is freaking me out a bit. How much stock typically goes into that prediction?

My test is 33 days out exactly.

NBME’s tend to underpredict and the new ones seem to be pretty hard from what I’ve seen on Reddit. I took 25 a week ago and got killed, like a 15 point drop from NBME 22 3 weeks ago. Try UWSA 1 and see how you do there.

The NBME predicts my range to be 189-215 which is freaking me out a bit. How much stock typically goes into that prediction?

Not too sure how to intemperate the new NBMEs, the reddit score predictor hasn't been updated for them yet unfortunately. But if you are in the mid/upper 60's on UW I wouldn't worry too much if you want a 230+ and still have a month to study

The only thing nbmes are any good for is experience with those types of questions. My best one was 25 points lower than my actual score.

Not too sure how to intemperate the new NBMEs, the reddit score predictor hasn't been updated for them yet unfortunately. But if you are in the mid/upper 60's on UW I wouldn't worry too much if you want a 230+ and still have a month to study
I hear ya. I’m not trying to break any ceilings with my score or anything, just match community surgery and it seems 230+ is the spot where your chances increase.

The only thing nbmes are any good for is experience with those types of questions. My best one was 25 points lower than my actual score.
That’s good to hear! How many more you recommend doing? I still have both UWs left too

I’d do uwsa1 this weekend after you’ve emotionally recovered from the nbme. I like to review the next day because it makes me go slower through it since I don’t have it all fresh on my mind.

assuming your test is June 15th:

Uwsa2 June 8th and review it the next day

free 120 June 12th and review it the next day with Ben white explanations

June 14th. Don’t study ( you will but try not to). Get up early that morning and exercise so you’re tired that night. I wish I did. I took Benadryl twice the night before step 1 and was still so anxious I didn’t sleep at all and I’m not exaggerating.

Last edited:
64.5% first pass UWorld (after finishing USMLERx). I did UWorld incorrects + ~1500 AMBOSS questions after the first pass. Mid 240s. Go into the exam confident. You've got this!

I’d do uwsa1 this weekend after you’ve emotionally recovered from the nbme. I like to review the next day because it makes me go slower through it since I don’t have it all fresh on my mind.

assuming your test is June 15th:

Uwsa2 June 8th and review it the next day

free 120 June 12th and review it the next day with Ben white explanations

June 14th. Don’t study ( you will but try not to). Get up early that morning and exercise so you’re tired that night. I wish I did. I took Benadryl twice the night before step 1 and was still so anxious I didn’t sleep at all and I’m not exaggerating.
Thanks will keep that all in mind since I’m sure I won’t sleep the night before either.

• Haha
64.5% first pass UWorld (after finishing USMLERx). I did UWorld incorrects + ~1500 AMBOSS questions after the first pass. Mid 240s. Go into the exam confident. You've got this!
Thanks for the boost! I need it 👍

Im curious how the UWSA1 goes for you. I got a 198 on NBME 25 a week ago, and just got a 232 on UWSA1.

Not to hijack but what do you guys think about a 60% avg uworld first pass timed random? I’ve done about 3/5 of uworld and was wondering i need to complete it all or can stop around 85% I’ve been struggling to do more than 2 blocks a day and review + anki. I’ve done 2 exams amboss, cbse and got ~210 on those. I think I can reach 85% completed in 10 days and that leaves me with 13ish days to just take practice exams. Is it necessary to finish uworld?
I feel like the consensus everywhere is finish Uworld at all costs and above all else...so that's what I would do.

Not to hijack but what do you guys think about a 60% avg uworld first pass timed random? I’ve done about 3/5 of uworld and was wondering i need to complete it all or can stop around 85% I’ve been struggling to do more than 2 blocks a day and review + anki. I’ve done 2 exams amboss, cbse and got ~210 on those. I think I can reach 85% completed in 10 days and that leaves me with 13ish days to just take practice exams. Is it necessary to finish uworld?
My uworld reviews were so thorough and meticulous that they took forever and I only got through 50% of UWorld first pass before my step 1. In your case, I don’t advise jamming them all in just to say you did at the expense of doing them well, but I also don’t know why you would take 13 days of practice tests.

UPDATE

Took UWSA1:

69% correct
49th percentile
Approx. score 237

Heard now that it tends to overpredict so I have no idea where I am at with 27 days to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
UPDATE

Took UWSA1:

69% correct
49th percentile
Approx. score 237

Heard now that it tends to overpredict so I have no idea where I am at with 27 days to go.
Even if it does overpredict a bit (which I heard it has) you have nearly a month and in range of your goal. Keep going!

Just took NBME 25 and scored a 234... last week I took NBME 29 and got a 258... wtf?

UPDATE:

Took a COMQUEST full length.

I know its typically advised against to screw with COMLEX material prior to STEP lol but I know myself and really need to familiarize myself with COMLEX’s horrible questions and boy were they horrible indeed...

Score: 627

Honestly, I thought this was really hard lol. So many syndromes and names I have never ever heard before. The pictures and scans given were all complete garbage. It was 352 questions of ****.

Im taking another NBME probably Saturday along with UWSA 2 and Free120 remaining.

Still hoping to hit 230+ / 575+

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Took a COMQUEST full length.

I know its typically advised against to screw with COMLEX material prior to STEP lol but I know myself and really need to familiarize myself with COMLEX’s horrible questions and boy were they horrible indeed...

Score: 627

Honestly, I thought this was really hard lol. So many syndromes and names I have never ever heard before. The pictures of and scans were all complete garbage. It was 352 questions of ****.

Im taking another NBME probably Saturday along with UWSA 2 and Free120 remaining.

Still hoping to hit 230+ / 575+

Definitely on the right track. Keep going!!

• Love
Just took NBME 26 and scored 209.

Still have UWSA 2 and Free120 but feeling sort of down about NBME, especially when I hear about these freaks getting 240+ on them.

11 days out.

Last edited:

Still have UWSA 2 and Free120 but feeling sort of down about NBME, especially when I hear about these freaks getting 240+ on them.

11 days out.
I felt the same fwiw. I’m not familiar with the ones you’re taking, the scale on the old ones was steep as a cliff. It felt like you could get 85% of the questions correct and be below average. Then ~ 5 more questions and you break 240. Insane.

Just don’t give yourself the yips. You are going to take step 1. There is no reality where you dont take step 1. It’s really easy in these final days to talk yourself out of it as a DO. You’ll tell yourself you don’t have to take it. There’s former AOA programs that are just as good. You’re not tied down to any one location so it’ll be okay with just comlex and applying broadly.

Don’t do it.

You can pass this thing. You’ve busted *** for two years and it wasn’t all for nothing. You are good enough! Time to prove it.

You got this!

Reactions: 8 users
I felt the same fwiw. I’m not familiar with the ones you’re taking, the scale on the old ones was steep as a cliff. It felt like you could get 85% of the questions correct and be below average. Then ~ 5 more questions and you break 240. Insane.

Just don’t give yourself the yips. You are going to take step 1. There is no reality where you dont take step 1. It’s really easy in these final days to talk yourself out of it as a DO. You’ll tell yourself you don’t have to take it. There’s former AOA programs that are just as good. You’re not tied down to any one location so it’ll be okay with just comlex and applying broadly.

Don’t do it.

You can pass this thing. You’ve busted *** for two years and it wasn’t all for nothing. You are good enough! Time to prove it.

You got this!
Big thanks for the words of wisdom bro, I really needed it. I am definitely not backing out, whatever happens on test day will happen at this point. If I score below my target, then it is what it is and I’ll address whatever I have to when it comes time to apply down the road.

11 days out.
Im 4 days out from Step myself. Not feeling great about it either, but I did get a 245 on UWSA2 which should make me feel good but for some reason it doesn't. Taking free 120 tomorrow. A 209 on the new NBMEs is pretty solid, don't let that discourage you!

• Care
Im 4 days out from Step myself. Not feeling great about it either, but I did get a 245 on UWSA2 which should make me feel good but for some reason it doesn't. Taking free 120 tomorrow. A 209 on the new NBMEs is pretty solid, don't let that discourage you!
245 on UWSA2! You've got this!!!

Thanks for the pep talk too! 💪

Reactions: 3 users
Took another NBME: 211

Stupid required school COMSAE I forgot about lol: 55X

1 week out and UWSA2 and free120 to go!

Just took UWSA2 and got a 239! Feeling stoked right now and hoping I'm not one of the massive over predictors lol.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Free120 is in the books:

Section 1: 73%

Section 2: 83%

Section 3: 75%

Made some really dumb mistakes where I got over excited when I thought I knew the answer and missed a key piece of info but I suppose it's balanced by times where I narrowed it down to 2-3 and made an educational guess which ended up being correct.

Going to read through the explanations given by benwhite and then just do some more UWorld incorrects. Later today I'm cutting out questions and will passively watch Randy Neil Biostats, Dirty Medicine and read through my annotations and Rapid Review in FA or something like that.

Tomorrow is chill day.

Regardless of what happens, I am thankful for all the encouraging words you have given me here over the last month!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
You got this. 1 questionat a time and one section at a time. Once a section is done you don't look back. It's time to move on to the next question you will get correct. Don't let the test beat you mentally. Everyone is nervous. Everyone is worried. Everyone thinks they did worse and made stupid mistakes. This is important to remember.

• Care
You got this. 1 questionat a time and one section at a time. Once a section is done you don't look back. It's time to move on to the next question you will get correct. Don't let the test beat you mentally. Everyone is nervous. Everyone is worried. Everyone thinks they did worse and made stupid mistakes. This is important to remember.
Thanks! I'll definitely keep this in mind during the test since I know I'll come to a point where I start to panic after being completely lost on several questions.

I just took Step and COMLEX, I can agree with the above poster to just take it one question at a time. Don't dwell on hard questions, answer to the best you can and move on. I don't know how I did yet, but take solace in the fact we studied our butts off and did what we had to do to prepare. You're going to do great.

• Care