Stepping down from a PIC position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibiban

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm burned out. I love practicing pharmacy, but the added layer management is eating away at my physical and mental well-being.

I'm very reluctant to tell my boss that I no longer want to manage, but want to continue practicing pharmacy for the company as I fear that it may lead to some retaliation or complete job loss.

Has anyone been in a situation similar to this? How did you handle it and how did it go?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm burned out. I love practicing pharmacy, but the added layer management is eating away at my physical and mental well-being.

I'm very reluctant to tell my boss that I no longer want to manage, but want to continue practicing pharmacy for the company as I fear that it may lead to some retaliation or complete job loss.

Has anyone been in a situation similar to this? How did you handle it and how did it go?

I'm with ya 100%. I manage a wal mart in BFE and its good pay, but a real pain in the butt. Constant problems, can never cover anything anymore because your staff is stripped to the bone. Constantly being asked to work on days off, (which i do), but i would like to live a little. there is simply no room for accidents, illness, unforeseen events...etc. Pharmacists and techs are always short handed. This fake attitude of "we care about your health", which we should all know by now is to make $$ based on medicare reimbursement. (adherence)...** 5 years ago nobody gave a darn about your "health and well being". I also feel like they are turning us into used car salesmen for immunizations. I feel they are being exploited purely for profit. (it is a billion dollar industry). Not that i am against immunizations, but maybe someone else should be your sales/marketing rep instead of your managers and staff? or how about a little commission for making you extra money? thats how life works, if you make me money, I OWE YOU! ... 10% right? finders fee. Fact is the companies are struggling to make goals for the shareholders, and WE the stakeholders are suffering. This will not end, only worsen. Yes i want out badly, i don't know why i am waiting this long...i've been here 2 years and fixed up a ghetto store real nice like no one ever thought. Even still, it's never enough and our job security is null and void these days. I will talk to my Dm soon and let him know i have side business opportunities elsewhere (which i actually do) and will need to step down to staff pharm in another state i am licensed in. It should go over fine, im in good standing with him. you have to approach it diplomatically and professionally. Never let on you are simply "pissed off and want out", i think we will be fine, but finding a staff spot is ridiculously hard, could take a year or more. (to be where you want to live). good luck man, lemme know how it goes.

And yes my mental and physical well being are slipping too. Its a sign you care and are being asked to manage an unmanageable business. They are spiraling downhill as they struggle to grind out a profit each year, and the S**t rolls downhill!

It's easy to keep your head buried in the sand about the reality of the retail pharmacy as long the paychecks keep coming.

It's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that the first job I ever had will be the peak of how much I will make. If I make a choice here it will cost me and my family a lot financially. But, at the rate it is going for me now, I will end up losing my family or my life if I stay in this position. I have to choose myself and my family, I'm just fearful of the unknown.

I have enough saved up to live for a little period of time comfortably, but I don't know if I will ever be able to make what I am making now and give them whatever they want. There will always be that thought in the back of my head, what if I stayed, would it have been better? I suppose I should be grateful for what I have for now.

I don't have anything else lined up, no real connections, nothing of that sort. Best I can figure is if the worst happens when I ask to step down, and get blacklisted from the company, I may be able to find some per diem/part-time work at an LTC, specialty, infusion, whatever. Branch out a little, see what else the world has to offer. Maybe that could lead to full-time employment elsewhere, who knows. But I'll always have that voice in the back of my head, "what if I stayed, just rode it out for 2 more years". May have the cash, but my family will be gone. I can't have that.

I feel that I can communicate to my DM diplomatically, I'm just fearful of the reprisals. I'm still thinking of how to even broach the subject with him because he likely doesn't think there is any sort of problem with me. One thing this job has taught me is to smile despite hating myself on the inside.

Glad to hear that you have something lined up- this is something I should have been thinking about two years ago, but was too busy pretending that I'll be in this job for the rest of my life. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you as well. Fixed up a very problematic store and led it to be consistently in the top 3 in terms of metrics in the district. However, minimal support from the DM and store mgmt! In fact, DM just lets store manager supervise pharmacy, which has made work a living hell for me.

I'm rxm by title but really just supposed to be store managers puppet. Even worse when I started to report to DM about the shady things store manager would do - I got retaliated.

Store manager gave me a write up based on made up false accusations, to which I refused to acknowledge. He threatens me every day that he'll have to escalate the problem.

Does anyone know if I have the right to refuse to acknowledge a coaching? And would not doing so affect me in any way? Would I still be able to step down and transfer to another store?

I'm with you as well. Fixed up a very problematic store and led it to be consistently in the top 3 in terms of metrics in the district. However, minimal support from the DM and store mgmt! In fact, DM just lets store manager supervise pharmacy, which has made work a living hell for me.

I'm rxm by title but really just supposed to be store managers puppet. Even worse when I started to report to DM about the shady things store manager would do - I got retaliated.

Store manager gave me a write up based on made up false accusations, to which I refused to acknowledge. He threatens me every day that he'll have to escalate the problem.

Does anyone know if I have the right to refuse to acknowledge a coaching? And would not doing so affect me in any way? Would I still be able to step down and transfer to another store?
Is this at the corner of happy and healthy?

It's easy to keep your head buried in the sand about the reality of the retail pharmacy as long the paychecks keep coming.

It's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that the first job I ever had will be the peak of how much I will make. If I make a choice here it will cost me and my family a lot financially. But, at the rate it is going for me now, I will end up losing my family or my life if I stay in this position. I have to choose myself and my family, I'm just fearful of the unknown.

I have enough saved up to live for a little period of time comfortably, but I don't know if I will ever be able to make what I am making now and give them whatever they want. There will always be that thought in the back of my head, what if I stayed, would it have been better? I suppose I should be grateful for what I have for now.

I don't have anything else lined up, no real connections, nothing of that sort. Best I can figure is if the worst happens when I ask to step down, and get blacklisted from the company, I may be able to find some per diem/part-time work at an LTC, specialty, infusion, whatever. Branch out a little, see what else the world has to offer. Maybe that could lead to full-time employment elsewhere, who knows. But I'll always have that voice in the back of my head, "what if I stayed, just rode it out for 2 more years". May have the cash, but my family will be gone. I can't have that.

I feel that I can communicate to my DM diplomatically, I'm just fearful of the reprisals. I'm still thinking of how to even broach the subject with him because he likely doesn't think there is any sort of problem with me. One thing this job has taught me is to smile despite hating myself on the inside.

Glad to hear that you have something lined up- this is something I should have been thinking about two years ago, but was too busy pretending that I'll be in this job for the rest of my life. Good luck.

You sound like a really cool, smart dude and your eyes are open to the problem. That is the first step. My wife has been on me about having a kid. We are 40 and her clock is ticking ya know? I feel terrible, but i literally leveled with her the other night and said exactly what you were thinking. That i KNEW we would not make this money again EVER and maybe never even work in the field again. And as a man, I was scared i couldn't care for her and the kid,. I really opened up ya know? She seems to understand. I have the same fears too, I bring my stress home , and it is not good for the relationship. I try not to but my anger is all bottled up i guess. It's so hard not to. Anyway man, good to hear others out there are not alone ya know? Like i said before, it means we genuinely CARE about what we do (probably have a type A personality!) and we are having the rug ripped out from under us. It's not fair and we have every right to feel angry. take care bro.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm sticking with it for now because there are no openings for a staff position at my company and moving to another company would involve a massive pay cut. The other issue is that, even if they are not going to retaliate against you for stepping down, and even if they are not going to try to get rid of you for being overpaid, you become the least senior person in your job code when you switch job codes and therefore first in line to get laid off if it comes to that. I know of a pharmacy manager who stepped down at my company who had exactly that happen shortly thereafter.

If I get too burnt out to the point where my performance suffers which would lead to getting fired anyway I'll try to get out before that happens but for now I can handle it, so I do.

Reactions: 1 user

What are the accusations? Is it something you could take them to court for if they retaliate?

Just tell your DM you have to step to down due to personal/family issues? Or why not even request to just stay on per diem and to help pick up shifts when your schedule permits then you won't get blacklisted? Either way I feel like you can totally step down and remain on good terms with your company unless your DM is a total psychopath

What are the accusations? Is it something you could take them to court for if they retaliate?
Just tell your DM you have to step to down due to personal/family issues? Or why not even request to just stay on per diem and to help pick up shifts when your schedule permits then you won't get blacklisted? Either way I feel like you can totally step down and remain on good terms with your company unless your DM is a total psychopath

Thought about seeking legal action, but prefer not to if I can just step down to even a part time floater to wait things out for a year for my write up to disappear since I'm burned out from being pic anyway.

What do you think?

I stepped down from a manager position at a hospital to a staffing position - I had a great relationship with my director, he understood completely and supported my decision. My health has improved, I have lost 20 lbs, have more energy and just a happier person.

Thought about seeking legal action, but prefer not to if I can just step down to even a part time floater to wait things out for a year for my write up to disappear since I'm burned out from being pic anyway.

What do you think?

Document everything in email that happens. Discussions, what was said. SAVE ALL EMAIL from this guy and anything related. He sounds like he is trying to performance you OUT. but how does a store manager write up a pharmacist? chain of command does not work that way where i am a manager at Wally world.....?

Less than a year of working as a new grad in retail, I was asked by my DM multiple times to step up and become PIC. The first time he asked me, I've been there for about 6 months. I already knew I never wanted to become PIC, but I didn't tell him I didn't want to be PIC; I said I was not ready to be one as I've only been there less than a year. He said I think you're ready and I said I don't feel ready. He let it go and they ended up hiring a former PIC at another store that was closed due to poor sales. She was not great at all and the pharmacy was just a mess. My DM wrote her up two weeks into becoming the new PIC. I told him I was not happy with her as our PIC and he said we wouldn't be in this mess if you would have taken the PIC position like I told you to. Long story short, I was later forced into becoming PIC. I later applied and interviewed for an overnight staff position that was 7 on 7 off in another district. Later found out that my DM blocked my transfer to the other store because he wanted to keep me as PIC at my store. He told our regional manager to tell the other district's DM to not hire me. So I knew my only way to step down from being PIC was to leave the company, which I did end up doing.

Retail is getting to a point now where the only way you can step down from a PIC job is to quit. Why should they let you step down to a staff job? It makes little sense from a business perspective.

Less than a year of working as a new grad in retail, I was asked by my DM multiple times to step up and become PIC. The first time he asked me, I've been there for about 6 months. I already knew I never wanted to become PIC, but I didn't tell him I didn't want to be PIC; I said I was not ready to be one as I've only been there less than a year. He said I think you're ready and I said I don't feel ready. He let it go and they ended up hiring a former PIC at another store that was closed due to poor sales. She was not great at all and the pharmacy was just a mess. My DM wrote her up two weeks into becoming the new PIC. I told him I was not happy with her as our PIC and he said we wouldn't be in this mess if you would have taken the PIC position like I told you to. Long story short, I was later forced into becoming PIC. I later applied and interviewed for an overnight staff position that was 7 on 7 off in another district. Later found out that my DM blocked my transfer to the other store because he wanted to keep me as PIC at my store. He told our regional manager to tell the other district's DM to not hire me. So I knew my only way to step down from being PIC was to leave the company, which I did end up doing.

You know whats sad? you have only been on board 6 months and they are hitting you up for the PIC position. lol.....it tells me they are desperate for people to run their failing businesses. And it's not OUR fault, (the pharmacist), it's governmental issues like star ratings, adherence, and of course reimbursements! (really greed and capitalism are at the heart of all this) but we as pharmacists have little say in these matters. they are contractual and change each year. So as it becomes harder and harder for them to make money, it gets harder and harder for US (the PICS) to do our job. It's like i need my fridge fixed, right? so i find YOU on the net advertising as a handyman. I have you over and take your tools away and say "I need this fixed by tonight and all you can use is this Wd-40 and some duct tape, maybe some pliers) .....i would have to consider strongly if i give you pliers or not. depends on your performance. LOL,