Sternberg vs Rosai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgpath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent the last several minutes reading through previous threads regarding this topic and didn't really conclude much, aside from the fact that responses are extremely subjective. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut consensus. I actually like Sternberg and feel it is more of a prose than Rosai, and thus, easier to read.

Before I invest in either of these texts, does anyone know if newer editions are around the corner?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I spent the last several minutes reading through previous threads regarding this topic and didn't really conclude much, aside from the fact that responses are extremely subjective. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut consensus. I actually like Sternberg and feel it is more of a prose than Rosai, and thus, easier to read.

Before I invest in either of these texts, does anyone know if newer editions are around the corner?

Thanks!

Having read Rosai cover to cover in a continuous 1 year string of reading assignments, I say Sternberg. Reasons:

1. Grass is greener on the other side.

2. Be wary of 1 author textbooks.

3. Sternberg has nice tables, and many residents like it.

Thanks!

I own and use both. It really is a personal opinion as both books have their strengths and weaknesses. I will say that there is a new Sternberg's on the way. I'm not sure of an exact release date, but it's not too far off. One deficiency of previous Sternberg's were the crummy pictures. It is my understanding that the new edition will feature completely revamped images. The new Histology for Pathologists has very nice images and I expect something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you look at the copywright dates, sternberg is due for a new edition pretty soon; rosai probably not. consider getting rosai now and sternberg after the new edition is released. that's what i'm doing.

I went with Silverberg, but that is because the people I share an office with have Rosai and Sternberg, and already said I could look at their copies if I needed to. I might get the new Sternberg next year when my book money replenishes.

Clearly, Weidner's "Modern Surgical Pathology" is superior, but I'm biased (I'm an author on a few chapters). The new edition is due out this Fall.

Thanks!

You will never have a clear consensus on Rosai vs. Sternberg. They are both great textbooks and each has its own advocates.

thanks for the responses. i think i will just wait for the new edition of sternberg. i like the added prose sternberg offers over rosai. i know most people think that it is too verbose, but to me, it feels more like im being told a story and less like im just reading fact after fact.

Heh, that's funny, most of what hear has people saying Rosai is too verbose and Sternberg is more concise.

I own and use both. It really is a personal opinion as both books have their strengths and weaknesses. I will say that there is a new Sternberg's on the way. I'm not sure of an exact release date, but it's not too far off. One deficiency of previous Sternberg's were the crummy pictures. It is my understanding that the new edition will feature completely revamped images. The new Histology for Pathologists has very nice images and I expect something along those lines.

Do you know approximately when the new edition is coming out? A month, at the end of the year, next year? How did you find out about the new edition?

both books can be read easily in a few months. read both cover to cover, preferably in year 1 of your internship after you are done with step 3.

After you are done reading em, put em away til boards and use a reference outline text like Essentials of AP to actually sign cases out.

both books can be read easily in a few months. read both cover to cover, preferably in year 1 of your internship after you are done with step 3.

After you are done reading em, put em away til boards and use a reference outline text like Essentials of AP to actually sign cases out.

please tell me this is sarcasm...

if its not i guess ill just be a very bad patholagyst

Do you know approximately when the new edition is coming out? A month, at the end of the year, next year? How did you find out about the new edition?

I don't remember exactly. I would guess 6 months to a year, but I'll try to remember to ask. I believe most of the chapters have been written and are being edited at the moment.

My department has several people who would know.

The new Histology for Pathologists has very nice images and I expect something along those lines.

I was provided this text (along with a Henry's, Lester's, some other CP book and a new Robbins) for my PGY1 books, and I have to say I like it more or less, so far. It can be serious infomation overload, but it provides a lot of nice pictures, integrated information, and with some scanning you can get to the high yield parts pretty quickly.

That having been said, don't think it's a replacement for a Rosai or anything.

DBH

I was provided this text (along with a Henry's, Lester's, some other CP book and a new Robbins) for my PGY1 books, and I have to say I like it more or less, so far. It can be serious infomation overload, but it provides a lot of nice pictures, integrated information, and with some scanning you can get to the high yield parts pretty quickly.

That having been said, don't think it's a replacement for a Rosai or anything.

DBH

Yeah, I usually skip a lot of the embryology and other extraneous info and jump to the high yield stuff. You definitely still need a surg path text though.

The pics in the new Sternberg's should be very similar in quality.

Clearly, Weidner's "Modern Surgical Pathology" is superior, but I'm biased (I'm an author on a few chapters). The new edition is due out this Fall.

I just came across this one and I've been reading the Hell out of it. More concise than Rosai and more even than Sternberg, this dark horse would be my pick.