stethoscope and usmle books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackjack16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the cheapest way to get stethscope and usmle books in Australia. Many of stethcopes (like Littmann cardiology III) cost half in the U.S. Should ask someone in the U.S. to send it to me?

I'm also thinking of doing same for usmle books. Are there any books stores in Australia with good selection of USMLE books for low price?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Blackjack16
What is the cheapest way to get stethscope and usmle books in Australia. Many of stethcopes (like Littmann cardiology III) cost half in the U.S. Should ask someone in the U.S. to send it to me?

I'm also thinking of doing same for usmle books. Are there any books stores in Australia with good selection of USMLE books for low price?

I bought mine online but had it shipped to me in Canada.

The main problem u will encounter is that if you ship it from the US you may have to pay duty, and on top of that it's gonna be expensive to ship to Australia.

So you may as well swallow the cost, because at the end you will be paying about the same anyway.

Originally posted by redshifteffect
I bought mine online but had it shipped to me in Canada.

The main problem u will encounter is that if you ship it from the US you may have to pay duty, and on top of that it's gonna be expensive to ship to Australia.

So you may as well swallow the cost, because at the end you will be paying about the same anyway.

Negative. The US dollar is ridiculously bad at the moment - the stethoscope importers will be charging the same they always have and hope to make a good profit off you. I bought mine online from the US and saved a couple of hundred dollars compared to the ridiculous prices the shops around here are selling them for. I also didn't have to pay any duty - I suspect customs officials have no idea how much a scope costs or don't care.

In summary buy all your stuff on the internet :)

Guess this thread is obsolete. Sorry, been off studentdoctor for awhile. Concerning USMLE books: I guess you should double-check your local Uni bookstore. My uni bookstore has a surprisingly large selection of USMLE-based books. I think they have absolutely all the books I would like to purchase (when I do). Also, at my school, we do not have "required text" so all medical books are arguably required for the course. This means that I get the 8% government subsidy (soon to end) and whatever discount the bookstore adds to it... bringing the price of the USMLE books to just slightly under the suggested retail prices for the books in US. Of course, if you can get used stuff in US that will be cheaper. But then again, there were people selling old USMLE books for cheap (like AUD10-AUD30) at the beginning of the school year.

Stethoscopes... no idea.