Stethoscope Troubles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medbound786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my problem: In the begining of first year, i got the Welch Allyn Harvey DLX Triple Head stethoscope as a gift. Using it all year, it felt kinda odd 'cuz i am the only one with this very different looking scope. Although people seem to be impressed by it, everyone has asked me about it from students to faculty and i guess i just feel uncomfortable being the stand out person. So now i am considering just getting the Harvey Elite (the "normal" looking scope)....but i feel that its a shame to buy another scope and put away the really nice triple head

I am not sure what to do ........ Any Suggestions what you guys would do in my place ????

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The triple head scopes are the odd ones out. I only know a couple of people who use them; the rest use either Harvey Elites or Littmanns. I've used one that one of my fellow third-years has and found I could hear really well with it but the difference between it and my Harvey Elite was pretty small. In the end, if I were you, I'd try to borrow someone else's Elite and see if you can hear as well with it. If not, keep the DLX, but just be careful about losing it as they're kind of theft magnets. You may also want to look around on the web. Getting an entirely new scope can be kind of expensive and it may be possible to get the Elite chestpiece alone for half to two-thirds the price of a completely new scope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, don't sweat it. Once you are on the wards, just stick it in your pocket instead of wearing it around your neck and no one will notice.

You can always take off one of the chestpieces so it's a "crooked" double-head, looks a little less awkward. Remember, it can double as a peds stethoscope if you get the peds chestpiece, so that you can auscultate adults, children, and use the bell all on the same scope. Very useful.

You can always take off one of the chestpieces so it's a "crooked" double-head, looks a little less awkward. Remember, it can double as a peds stethoscope if you get the peds chestpiece, so that you can auscultate adults, children, and use the bell all on the same scope. Very useful.

Really good idea!
(I should have thought of this before I got the Double head)

Replace the corrugated head with a pediatric head. (you can get one at MiamiMedical.com) You'll really appreciate it when you are on a rotation like Family Prac. or Emergency, where you'll treat both adults and peds.

If you're worried that it, or you, stand out, leave it in your pocket on the wards.

It probably won't get stolen, since its unique. Besides, people seem to think Littmanns are gold and jack them. The only person that might want yours is the Cardiology fellow, and he can buy his own.

who would want to steal them? med students?

who would want to steal them? med students?

you poor naive individual... med students, residents, paramedics, nurses, doctors, and anyone else who uses a stethoscope may want to steal them (because who wants to BUY a rubber tube for $100?). Or they may honestly accidentally walk away with yours because they thought it was theirs.

Everybody else is jealous! I'm sure people would swap with you on a dime. If someone admires it a lot and lets say they have a nice Littmann cardiology III, just say hey you wanna swap? [It would be an upgrade for them $$$ speaking].

If you're worried that their stethoscope is dirty, ship it to 3m litthmann, they'll clean it & service it no charge (at least that what they told me when I was coughing up 140 bucks for mine).

Hi everyone!!

I wonder if you can tell me where i can buy a littmann stethoscope in San Fransisco?????:confused:

Thanks!!

Hi everyone!!

I wonder if you can tell me where i can buy a littmann stethoscope in San Fransisco?????:confused:

Thanks!!

I would suggest ALLHEART.com if you have the time to wait for delivery. They have excellent prices that are going to be significantly cheaper than a retail store. If you are in a pinch you can go to the UCSF bookstore, where they have a large selection.

500 Parnassus Avenue
Millberry Union Plaza East
San Francisco, CA 94143-0230

Also, I would suggest thinking about a Harvey Elite or DLX as they have studied and proven acoustic superiority to the Littman's with the tuneable diaphragms that are sold now.

Will I need a stethoscope with a bell? My grandma went and bought me a littman master cardiology scope for christmas, but it has only one side that is "tunable" will I need to buy a simpler model once school starts?

Will I need a stethoscope with a bell? My grandma went and bought me a littman master cardiology scope for christmas, but it has only one side that is "tunable" will I need to buy a simpler model once school starts?

That depends on your school's policy. Some want you to have a steth that has both a bell and a diaphragm; you should ask.

I have a Master Cardiology and I really like it. However, on a more practical level, if you've never used the Littman tunable diaphragm before and/or a stethoscope before, I personally think you may have an easier time learning with a stethoscope that has both a bell and a diaphragm; it might make it easier to tune into the sounds when you are just learning how to recognize and listen for them. If you want to use a Littman, a Cardiology III has both sides...or you can just buy any decent two head stethoscope. At the medical school level, you don't need cardiology quality.

Don't sweat it. A friend of mine had one of the triple heads and no one that I know of gave him any beef about it, and our class is one of the pickiest and most gossipy in our school's history. We were much more interested in who was sleeping with who rather than who had the most unique stethoscope.

I wouldn't give it up if I were you. Its a good stethoscope for one and it can also double as a mace if you have annoying patients.

I would suggest ALLHEART.com if you have the time to wait for delivery. They have excellent prices that are going to be significantly cheaper than a retail store. If you are in a pinch you can go to the UCSF bookstore, where they have a large selection.

500 Parnassus Avenue
Millberry Union Plaza East
San Francisco, CA 94143-0230

Also, I would suggest thinking about a Harvey Elite or DLX as they have studied and proven acoustic superiority to the Littman's with the tuneable diaphragms that are sold now.

I tried using allheart...what a bad experience. They had a coupon for free shipping that I used. The next day when I called to check on the status of the order (the online system sucks a$$) they had to wait until 12PM to download the orders. When they finally found it they told me the coupon for free shipping was no good and tried to charge me for shipping and engraving. Long story short:
allheart wanted $148 for a Cardiology III, my school bookstore $154 and it came with the 3M kit with id tag, CD and more.
Save yourself the headache and don't use allheart.com