Sticky Situation, need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingorion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a weird conundrum that I thought I'd throw to the think tank.

My committee interviews, which are only available next week and the week after, are only scheduled from 8am-1pm on weekdays. Annnnd...I am currently 4 days in at my new job, and didn't inform them that I applied to medical school this cycle (so I could get the job in the first place, I mentioned my long-term plans though). I made an appointment for 8/17 at 11:30. During this week, my supervisor (the only person I work with) went out of the country for a family emergency, so I have been stuck alone in my office with nothing to do.
Now, I can ask my boss for an off-site lunch, which would be frowned upon during your first week, fabricate a story about seeing my PCP in a penciled in appointment (which is kind of true, the only opening is on 9/6), or sneak off campus.
Sneaking has a very low likelihood of my being seen, or caught, but it's very risky business. Also, if I clock out during my lunch, it might raise suspicions. And if I don't it's a fire-able offense.

I am currently panicking, because I need to get this committee interview and a good committee letter to get all of my LORs sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This sucks. Been in similar situations a lot of times.

I sometimes lie and say PCP (this is bad though) or just own up to the appt. Honestly it usually is never as big a deal as I think (me needing to take my car to gt fixed for example or etc things that can only happen 9-5) and they say sure.

Just say where you are going. Say you'll stay late to make up for it.

Just honestly tell them you're going to meet with your advising committee to finalize getting your letter of recommendation packet. They probably won't think twice about it - if you've informed them of your long term plans they'll probably guess you'll need the letter packet some day.
Just be sure to tell them that it's not going to be lost productive hours and that you'll make up for the time you missed (this was the biggest issue with my supervisor when I told him I volunteer once a week and will have to leave two hours early. Figured he would assume I would stay late/come in early to make up but he just got angry at me for having to leave).

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't really have much in the name of options here. Can you feign car issues or animal issues or something like that.

If you can hold yourself together then maybe the PCP route is the way to go, but some places require a note saying that you were seen at xyz place by abc physician. Doesn't violate anything because it's not disclosing any medical info, but I'm not sure if places still have policies like that for work.

Just honestly tell them you're going to meet with your advising committee to finalize getting your letter of recommendation packet. They probably won't think twice about it - if you've informed them of your long term plans they'll probably guess you'll need the letter packet some day.
Just be sure to tell them that it's not going to be lost productive hours and that you'll make up for the time you missed (this was the biggest issue with my supervisor when I told him I volunteer once a week and will have to leave two hours early. Figured he would assume I would stay late/come in early to make up but he just got angry at me for having to leave).

Never assume anything. Always spell it out.

@wanderingorion Apologize and say that you have an urgent appointment that you would have preferred to schedule after hours but this was the only time available. In all likelihood, you won't even be asked what the appointment is for (trying to afford you some privacy if it is for something very personal that you'd rather not talk about -- IRS, STD clinic, lawyer are three that come to mind). Say that you'll come in early or stay late if it isn't possible to take personal time.

Reactions: 1 user
This sucks. Been in similar situations a lot of times.

I sometimes lie and say PCP (this is bad though) or just own up to the appt. Honestly it usually is never as big a deal as I think (me needing to take my car to gt fixed for example or etc things that can only happen 9-5) and they say sure.

Just say where you are going. Say you'll stay late to make up for it.
My co-workers said my boss is cool with me going off-campus, with my other co-worker recently moving from Pennsylvania and having to leave to deal with moving issues and what not. I think I'll just say I have an errand and will have to leave during my lunch. I think it should work out.

Never assume anything. Always spell it out.

@wanderingorion Apologize and say that you have an urgent appointment that you would have preferred to schedule after hours but this was the only time available. In all likelihood, you won't even be asked what the appointment is for (trying to afford you some privacy if it is for something very personal that you'd rather not talk about -- IRS, STD clinic, lawyer are three that come to mind). Say that you'll come in early or stay late if it isn't possible to take personal time.
Should I tell him about the appointment closer to the date, like Mon, to make it seem more "urgent," or should I inform him now?

Should I tell him about the appointment closer to the date, like Mon, to make it seem more "urgent," or should I inform him now?
It is always better to announce it earlier. If you had to meet with the IRS or a lawyer you might know a week in advance but the date/time might be non-negotiable.

Reactions: 1 users