Stigma from medical record as a Medical Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkl2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a stigma is it to have a long medical history, especially with things like depression or having had a lot of procedures as a medical student? Iv never been hospitalized or anything but it's in my record that I had depression/anxiety, alongside other procedures for other random issues I've had.

Im an M2 and just found out that my medical record from my hometown hospital is linked to my records at my home institution because my doctor mentioned something that wasn't in my current medical record here, but is in my old one.

How much damage does this do? Where your attending's opinion seems to matter so much as a medical student, I feel like I've already been judged and can kiss a fresh encounter/impression goodbye. Anyone been in a similar situation?

@NotAProgDirector

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why are your attendings accessing your medical record if they are not directly involved in your care? That’s a HIPAA violation.
oh sorry i should clarify. The attending was my doctor. It just has me worried because i am interested in that field as well. and in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh sorry i should clarify. The attending was my doctor. It just has me worried because i am interested in that field as well. and in general.

I don’t see how it could hurt you unless it’s something that would cause you to have to answer yes when answering questions about getting a medical license.

It should not affect you at all as a medical student and nobody is allowed to look at your medical record unless they are your doctor. If you opt to get private disability insurance when you become a resident, you will have to list an extraordinarily thorough medical history and unfortunately some states have very backwards questions on licensing where you have to answer things about medical history. But you will be completely fine. Depression and anxiety are extremely common in students and residents and you shouldn’t be ashamed of it!

Reactions: 1 users
It should not affect you at all as a medical student and nobody is allowed to look at your medical record unless they are your doctor. If you opt to get private disability insurance when you become a resident, you will have to list an extraordinarily thorough medical history and unfortunately some states have very backwards questions on licensing where you have to answer things about medical history. But you will be completely fine. Depression and anxiety are extremely common in students and residents and you shouldn’t be ashamed of it!
that's a relief. I hope so. Someone told me some program directors and attendings can look , especially if its for your home institution. But it's a comfort to know it's not true. Thank you!

that's a relief. I hope so. Someone told me some program directors and attendings can look , especially if its for your home institution. But it's a comfort to know it's not true. Thank you!
That’s illegal.

Reactions: 9 users
Pretty much every EMR logs who looks at what chart and for how long.

Admins can't just look at random student's charts.

Reactions: 4 users
If someone finds out you will lose your job. At my place they are so strict that you can’t even look yourself up.
Yep, same. Cant look at my own chart either.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, if someone treated you at some point, they should not supervise you. There will be exceptions, but it is best avoided. Especially for psych issues.

Reactions: 5 users
Your school needs to fix this. Our university clinic is run by the same people we rotate with for FM. We are not allowed to be seen by these doctors and have to make appointments with someone else not affiliated with the school. People evaluating you should not have access to your medical records

is it enforced? cant you just look someone up?

Yes it’s enforced.
EMR tracks who goes in to charts.
At both systems I’ve worked at all employee charts are tagged so you have to enter your password and say why you’re accessing the chart.
People have gotten fired for accessing charts when it’s clear it’s not their patient or for other educational purpose.

How much of a stigma is it to have a long medical history, especially with things like depression or having had a lot of procedures as a medical student? Iv never been hospitalized or anything but it's in my record that I had depression/anxiety, alongside other procedures for other random issues I've had.

Im an M2 and just found out that my medical record from my hometown hospital is linked to my records at my home institution because my doctor mentioned something that wasn't in my current medical record here, but is in my old one.

How much damage does this do? Where your attending's opinion seems to matter so much as a medical student, I feel like I've already been judged and can kiss a fresh encounter/impression goodbye. Anyone been in a similar situation?

@NotAProgDirector
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this. Something like this should absolutely not be on your medical transcript. Assuming your school is accredited this should not be a concern.
If it is, I would contact the Dean's office and ask anonymously if medical records/mental health records are ever accessed or placed in a medical student transcript. If you are not confident with the answer, I would reach out to an attorney to address the issue directly and specifically.

Finally, your doctor should never be your mentor. That's a red line in medicine and is unprofessional. If the doctor so much mentions it to you or anyone else, I would pick up the phone and reach out to your Dean's office, and I would specifically call the medical board of the state you are in.

In medical school, a lot of kids have had mental health issues, and many of them were successful. I wouldn't worry about it.

You have anxiety; is different than you get anxious during procedures.

Finally, often health documents, especially electronic medical records are often in a network of care systems. Absolutely no one you know, medical students, your professors, your teachers--anyone other than your specific doctor should access them. You can simply ask for an investigation, and your concerns would be solved.

I highly doubt anyone went through your medical records. And there is no way any of that information is on your medical record. When you go to residency, their will always be a health questionnaire, and frankly it's up to you to fill it out how you wish. For instance, sometimes I get migraines but it's a personal thing and no one's business; so I don't write anything on the health questionnaire. It's not their business to know. Sometimes they ask as they consider if there are certain forms of assistance a resident may need (for example, someone who can do sign language for a deaf individual).

Good luck!

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this. Something like this should absolutely not be on your medical transcript

Do you meant medical student transcript? Because I don't think anyone is saying that it should be nor has anyone expressed concern about it being in the transcript. The transcript has nothing to do with medical records.

But yes, depression/anxiety should be in medical records, if that's what you're referring to.

If it is, I would contact the Dean's office and ask anonymously if medical records/mental health records are ever accessed or placed in a medical student transcript

Did I miss something? Who is talking about it being in the transcript? You're the only person who has brought this up as far as I can tell.

My school, based on the recommendation of accreditation bodies last year, requires us now to testify we have never been treated by any of the people grading our SPs. The psychiatrist available to us, similarly, has no educational affiliation.

This is something taken very seriously though I understand your reticence for information about you to be available, at all, to your school. You will be okay.