Still eligible for medical school? Maybe Emory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. 96985

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a sophomore cell biology major. During my freshman year at college my dad developed cancer. It was very difficult for me to focus on my studies at college while at home my family was going through this difficult time. So obviously my GPA plummeted and I thought my chances for medical school were over, there was no way I could bring my GPA up in time to even be competitive. Over the summer between freshman and sophomore year my dad recovered very well. But I told myself, I will become a doctor. So last semester I worked really hard and almost doubled my GPA. As of now (second semester sophomore) it's still pretty low, but on the rise!
ps. Now I obviously know that I should have handled the situation better so I wouldn't be in this predicament.

I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, and my first question is this: Is it possible for me to be able to get accepted into Emory University -- having fulfilled all my requirements both curricular and extra-curricular.

Question 2: Which medical schools (if any) are willing to consider my application?

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't given us any data, but many good candidates got off to a slow start in college.
Now you need to get mostly A's. Nobody can count on getting into any particular school. Even if you do exceedingly well, you apply to group of schools.
The 10th% gpa at Emory last year was 3.45.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had forgotten to include my GPA. Currently my cumulative GPA is 2.75. Last year it was 1.50.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had forgotten to include my GPA. Currently my cumulative GPA is 2.75. Last year it was 1.50.
Go to the stickey on the front page of this forum (under "please read before posting"). See what your AMCAS and AACOMAS gpa's are and what they would be if you get A's from now on. At least you will be able to estimate how long it might take to come up to an acceptable level and begin to plan your course should undergrad be insufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, you have an uphill battle, but it's not impossible. A post-bac or SMP might be necessary, depending upon how the next two years turn out. Very sorry to hear of your loss, though.