Still necessary to take biochem after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloorMatt

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I already got into Rutgers/NYU and was originally planning on taking biochem (planned coursework on aadsas). Are my acceptances contingent upon completion of planned coursework or do I just need to graduate? Rutgers and NYU don't have biochem as a pre-req.

If I just need to graduate, would you argue that taking biochem now would help later on? Or is it bizarre to suffer through it twice?

Members don't see this ad.

You should call the schools directly and ask. I would assume they want you to complete them.

Reactions: 1 user
You should call the schools directly and ask. I would assume they want you to complete them.
I second this. Usually acceptances are contingent upon successful completion of whatever the courses you have listed in your AADSAS. Any attempt in changes of those courses, you should discuss with the school before you change them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the school. The school probably won't care much about a non-prereq

I's not bizarre to go through it twice, just sucks. A LOT.... Even once could be way too much with the wrong professor... but like everyone said, best to check with the school.

Thanks for the responses people! I will contact those schcools.

Say I dont need to take biochem for the schools I'm already accepted at, do you think its worth taking it in hopes of getting interviewed at stony brook or columbia?

Thanks for the responses people! I will contact those schcools.

Say I dont need to take biochem for the schools I'm already accepted at, do you think its worth taking it in hopes of getting interviewed at stony brook or columbia?
If you are still waiting for them and you would attend them instead of nyu or Rutgers, yes.

Generally, if it's in your planned coursework, you're expected to take it. Even if not, I would take it anyway since you'll probably have to take it in dental school.

As long as you have the requirements of the school completed that should suffice. Your acceptance is not based on completing the planned course work if they are not prereqs

If your school requires it, your admissions offer is conditional, pending satisfactory completion of all prereqs.

I am kinda curious, did you have any upper-level biology courses and you are only missing the Biochemistry, many schools strongly recommend it but they don't say it's a pre-requisite

Speaking as someone who has a Biochemistry degree, I'd highly suggest you take it before d school independent of what the school tells you.. the breadth of information covered in the short amount of time will be a lot easier to grasp if you've recently taken an intro course in the material.