stink removal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katester

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some suggestions fast on how to remove the stench from AP lab. People go out of their way to avoid the first year students because of the smell from working on the cadavers. It permeates everything. Any suggestions on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Luckily for us our school has scrubs and showers. I think the best thing is to keep whatever you bring there. Get a group copy of Netter or whatever texts you like. I have also heard the good suggestion to take your anatomy text to Kinko's where they can remove the binding and punch holes in the pages so that you can keep the book in a binder and only bring the pages that you need on any given day.

G

I agree, don't wear anything other than scrubs in the lab, and don't wear them home. Also, wear 2 pair of gloves and cover the first pair with liquid Downy fabric softner before you put on the second pair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sdonnenwerth, I haven't started anatomy yet (we sart one month in), are you serious about the downey thing? Does the smell go through two pairs of gloves? I'm concerned becasue although I love disecting, I can't stomach the smell very well. I've got the scrubs and old shoes ready to go. Should I buy extra boxes of gloves?? Thanks, Mango

<People go out of their way to avoid the first year students because of the smell from working on the cadavers. It permeates everything. >

Hmmm, maybe that's why my social life was so bad during first year!!
wink.gif

Honestly, keep as much of your belongings in the lab as you can and as much OUT of the lab as you can. Always double glove (good practice for 3rd year Core Surgery).

An interesting thought - has anyone ever tried some of the "remedies" say for garlic breath or skunk stink (ie, chewing parsley or bathing in tomato sauce)? Just wondering if that would help (although I'm sure my landlord wouldn't have appreciated the red ring in the tub)?!

Yes, I'm serious about the Downy thing. The smell will go through two pair of gloves, but it won't be nearly as bad as if you only wear one pair. The downy blocks some of the phenol absorption, as well as covers the smell, making your hands smell "sunshine fresh"! Just put on one pair, pour some downy in your hands and smear it around like soap, then put on the second pair. Another thing to keep in mind is that it really isn't as bad as the rumors, as long as you get out of your clothes as soon as you leave the lab. Grab a shower, and you're good to go.

Well here's some info on the clothes. At my school, we spray Febreeze on our scrubs after lab (because most students wear their scrubs home rather than changing at school). This way, we won't sicken the staff and visitors when we walk by. It helps out a lot.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

Unfortunately, the best way to deal with the smell is just to deal with the smell. It gets in your skin, your hair, everything -- as well as your clothes and gloves. You will smell of formaline for as long as your class goes. You can try all the tricks, but they'll only do so much. Change clothes and shower -- including washing your hair -- as soon as you can when you get out, but realize that you WILL have residual lab odor. It's part of the first year. When you are done, you'll have all the more reason to SMILE!!!

Dr Bronner's peppermint soap. I go home each day and scrub myself with it--gets rid of the smell completely. I swear by it. Also, as well as the scrubs and lab coat, I have shoes (ie, old nikes with 'run-out' soles) that I wear only in GA lab.

I'm not yet in that heavenly place referred to as medical school, but having begun working as a CNA recently, I can relate to the stench hanging on your clothes. After twelve hours of this stuff, my family turns up their noses at me when I walk in the door.
wink.gif
Thanks for the advice, all! It'll be helpful for a lowly premed like myself.

------------------
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night,
God said "Let Newton be," and all was light.

-- Alexander Pope