Stony Brook vs. Penn State MD // Non-Traditional Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDLoading33

Reaction score
Hi All - I'm a non-traditional student (worked for 5 years in an unrelated field) and am currently deciding between Stony Brook (in-state) and Penn State's MD programs. PSU is slightly more expensive but not enough to be a dealbreaker for me. I left both interviews with great impressions of my faculty interviewers and current students. Both have strong research programs. Geographically, I think I'd rather be on Long Island near the beach than in rural Pennsylvania. Both have strong residency match programs. I initially thought SBU matched better into the NY area but PSU's 2022 match list was impressive, especially for specialities, which I'm definitely looking to pursue (SBU yet to publish their list).

Would appreciate any high-level insights into which to choose. Additionally, looking to get a sense of the student body makeup at each, especially as a non-trad, older applicant (i.e. where will I feel most at home?)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.