Stony Deposit

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Is anyone withdrawing his or her acceptance to Stony, and if do, know if the deposit is really refundable? I sent in the deposit because I hadn't heard from my first choice, but now that i'm in there, how do I politely tell Stony thanks but no thanks and ask for the $ back, without sounding too horrid? I really liked dealing with them and would llike to respond in kind. Thanks!

sinned

slaving in dental school
    10+ Year Member
    Jul 11, 2004
      I would talk to Olivia Schmidt and tell them that you would like to withdraw your acceptance due to your first choice extending you an offer. Then I would ask about the refundable deposit, she will definately be able to answer your question kindly...

About the Ads

Dr.Bear

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Dec 2, 2004
      NY
        Oh yes, you will almost ALWAYS get the voicemail. And you can't get any information about admission status via phone :-( but if you leave a message about something like pulling out of an acceptance she will get back to you.. I hear she is good about returning messages.

Dr.Bear

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Dec 2, 2004
        NY
          Yes, I tried calling this week...and all you get is the answering machine.... and you don't really leave a "What's my status?" message.. so the waiting continues.. and I did speak to someone who told me that the out of state quota is true

Dentist 2 be

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Sep 10, 2004
          Brooklyn, NY
          1. Non-Student
            I'm sorry but maybe some people will be offended or pissed by what I'm about to say but here it goes anyway.

I think that state schools, in paricular NYS, should only accept NYS residents to their grad schools. My father pays $15,000 just in property taxes along with other ridiculous taxes for living in NYS. I should be able to be reimbursed through having a cheaper education at my own state school. I think its completely unfair what Stony Brook is doing. Basically, that means that they only take 16-19 NYS's per year.

Dr.Bear

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Dec 2, 2004
            NY
              Dentist 2 be said:
              I'm sorry but maybe some people will be offended or pissed by what I'm about to say but here it goes anyway.

I think that state schools, in paricular NYS, should only accept NYS residents to their grad schools. My father pays $15,000 just in property taxes along with other ridiculous taxes for living in NYS. I should be able to be reimbursed through having a cheaper education at my own state school. I think its completely unfair what Stony Brook is doing. Basically, that means that they only take 16-19 NYS's per year.

I think they are accepting about 10-15 out of staters... so that still leaves 23-25 spots.. approx.. Don't give up hope yet. People are declining... they haven't filled all their seats either... Chin up.

snwman

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Nov 15, 2004
                Dentist 2 be said:

You do have a point that you should be entitled to some bennefit for the money that your parents have paid (and maybe even more so if you were the one paying it). There are, however, lots of us who are from states that dont have a dental school of our own. We are left with the choice of hoping for a shot at a decent state school, or paying huge tuitions at private schools. I might be more inclined to buy into your argument if it considered people with no in-state possibilities.

Also, if we buy into the argument that your parents pay a lot of property taxes to NY, and therefore you are entitled to a seat in a NY school, then how far are we really from saying that a family who owns a huge estate and pays 100K in taxes is more entitled to a seat than an instate family who owns nothing and pays little to no property tax.

I can understand your frustration, but I also applaud state schools that consider taking out-of-staters with less than a 4.0

Tzips

Chocoholic
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Nov 10, 2004
                Peering around the corner...
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  Unlikely as this may be to occur, I think the only fair way would be if all the state schools had the same rules about accepting out-of-state people. They should all accept a fixed percentage from out-state, with a special provision of some sort made for those applicants from states that don't have state d-schools (and I believe something of the sort already exists, though I'm not certain of the particulars) - that would keep the exchange somewhat even. However, as each school's policy is somewhat determined by state legislature, this is rather unlikely to occur.

Btw, does anyone know what prompted this rather drastic turnaround on Stony's part? And what's the story with Buffalo?

bingpredent

est the break of dawn
                  15+ Year Member
                  Oct 22, 2002
                    Dentist 2 be said:

Not stony's fault, try pataki
                    In my class, there's only like 2 or 3 outer-staters

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
                    Feb 3, 2002
                    1. Dentist
                      Dentist 2 be said:

I am a New York state resident. My father used to say the same exact thing to me during my 4 years in Buffalo when I told him we had like 6 or 7 students from California, in addition to a few others from out of state.

"I'm paying my taxes to fund their educations. And they're never going to stay in New York anyways."

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.