Stories of who didn't match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed most of what we read on this forum is from those that are already Residents in programs and those that have at least had luck landing interviews. Are there people out there that weren't this fortunate and might you want to share your stories of what your back-ground is, board scores, grades, performance in clerkships, interview nightmares etc.

In talking with some of PM&R residents I have heard many stories of fellow classmates who also applied to PM&R programs and didn't match.

I find most advice is encouraging to those of us who aren't "above average" students...perhaps we need a more realistic picture of the competitiveness we are up against?

OR am I just a glutton for punishment?

Members don't see this ad.

no need to worry so much. PM&R is not THAT tough to land. True, its tougher lately, but if you are at least an average student with at least four or five programs on your rank list, you should have no troubles.

best

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement! You are the best!!!!

Anyone have bad news? Come on...out with your stories. Tell us what happened and what you're going to do now? It's good to vent your emotions!

: )

I heard that there were 100+ unmatched PM&R applicants and 17 unfilled spots. I don't know where that person got the numbers but sounds like the match this year was tough for many specialties. I know that Gen Surg was also tough this year with only 2 unfilled categorical spots prior to the scramble. It seemed that most ppl in my class did not get their #1 choice. If people don't want to talk about their negative experience in the match, I truly understand and respect that. I think it would take a lot of guts and courage to share negative things. I would say that if you did have a negative experience and think that you could have done something differently to change it, it would be nice to share that with others coming from behind.

The only thing I can say for my getting the #5 choice for prelim year is that I got swayed by other applicants and PDs when I made up my rank list. I think it best that you go with your gut feeling. I don't know if my results would have been different if I had ranked with my guts and not with other ppl's opinions though...

The attending from my current rotation said that "whatever is meant to be will happen" And I believe that. If it is not for my benefit, maybe it's for someone else's benefit in the grand scheme of things. +pity+

I'm only a third year student. But from the grapevine at Chicago Medical School, there were 2 students who applied for PM&R this year from my school's 4th year class. Both students did not match and had to take a transitional year. After I heard that, I freaked out. And seeing where some of you matched really makes me feel very inferior.

That's odd...because I saw CMS' match list from 2003 and they had 3 people going to RIC....

yeah I know. It's very odd. I actually got some clarification about it. It was only one student who applied for PM&R this year. I guess it wasn't a big PM&R class. It's kinda discouraging for a 3rd year like me.