Strange Fellow Interviewees...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikibean

Tip your guide.
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you been at an interview and spoken to others in your group and wondered what planet they are from? Ever had that *one* person who's a little... off? Or have you had someone just be a true gunner even when you're trying to be kind?

Tell your story...

This one isn't that weird- and I probably sound like the strange one to most people:
:D
I had someone totally in shock that I didn't watch TV and that my parents didn't help me out with buying me cable.
"What the hell do you do in your spare time? Aren't their shows that you miss?" (No, that would pre-suppose that I watch TV).
She was in total disbelief.
I explained that I was 28, and that I liked to read, work out/go on long bike rides, go to dinner with friends and occasionally watch movies. Roadtrips, hiking and being outside are my passions. It's not like I'm against TV- I love South Park when I'm at friend's houses, but do I have it at home or choose to watch it every night? Nope- maybe 3x month at the most.
She also couldn't believe that my parents were *not* going to buy me cable at the age of 28. In fact, they didn't buy me cable in college. Yes, some of us do live independently of our parents...

Members don't see this ad.

in one of my interviews, I asked a completely dumb question and everyone laughed at me.

nikibean said:
She also couldn't believe that my parents were *not* going to buy me cable at the age of 28. In fact, they didn't buy me cable in college. Yes, some of us do live independently of our parents...
Except for some help with tuition, I've lived on my own since I was 16 and I've never had cable. Some people got better things to do.

This interviewee thinks that no cable is a big deal. She must have some, unnatural attachement to her boob tube...

Members don't see this ad :)
nikibean said:
Have you been at an interview and spoken to others in your group and wondered what planet they are from? Ever had that *one* person who's a little... off? Or have you had someone just be a true gunner even when you're trying to be kind?

Tell your story...

This one isn't that weird- and I probably sound like the strange one to most people:
:D
I had someone totally in shock that I didn't watch TV and that my parents didn't help me out with buying me cable.
"What the hell do you do in your spare time? Aren't their shows that you miss?" (No, that would pre-suppose that I watch TV).
I explained that I was 28, and that I liked to read, work out/go on long bike rides, go to dinner with friends and occasionally watch movies. Roadtrips, hiking and being outside are my passions. It's not like I'm against TV- I love South Park when I'm at friend's houses, but do I have it at home or choose to watch it every night? Nope- maybe 3x month at the most.

that is really strange....I think its strange her parents ever bought her cable...

At an interview I had a conversation with someone who made me really uncomfortable. I felt like I was talking to a wall. I guess it was because she was so nervous, but she had no emotions and every time I asked a question there was an uncomfortably long pause before she answered monosyllabically.

RxnMan said:
Except for some help with tuition, I've lived on my own since I was 16 and I've never had cable. Some people got better things to do.

This interviewee thinks that no cable is a big deal. She must have some, unnatural attachement to her boob tube...

I've also lived on my own since I was around 15 or 16, and before my freshman year of college, I never had cable. Now, my scholarship pays for me to live in the dorm, which is supplied with cable. The first three years I never even watched the televison, but when I was waiting for my MCAT score I did nothing but sit in front of the TV trying to forget about my troubles. Now, I'm addicted... :(

RxnMan said:

This is out of context, but just to let you know RxnMan, the link you have for mdapplicants, you actually have put extra http:/, so it wont work for anyone directly clicking on the link, unless someone realizes it and deletes it....hope you didnt mind :)

How the hell did you people "live on your own" or support yourself completely at 15 or 16?

nikibean said:
This one isn't that weird- and I probably sound like the strange one to most people: :D
I was just about to say... :)
I think many people in the typical premed interviewee age range (20-22) are used to TV (I'm addicted to a few shows) and our parents pay for quite a few things. I'm not sure about the cable thing though...

nikibean said:
Oh my god, you poor woman. Please tell me you at least have DSL or something. (I'm only sort of kidding.)

DesiMcatAcer said:
...you actually have put extra http:/, so it wont work for anyone directly clicking on the link
Done and done.

SigPi said:
How the hell did you people "live on your own" or support yourself completely at 15 or 16?
As my profile shows, sometimes badly. I started college when I was 16. My parents paid tuition, and I paid everything else (rent, food, gas, heating, etc.) I've held a number of odd jobs, and since junior year in college, I've worked near-full-time to full-time.

Considering many kids the world over are living on the street at an earlier age than this, it's not that surprising or amazing (which is not to say that it wasn't hard!)

I had a guy in my interview groups who, while some of us were waiting for our interview, was telling us how he was working at a clinic and they had a female patient who had two vaginas. Then he told us not to say anything in case the woman found out he told. Mind you, this is the only descriptor we received of the woman: that she was a woman and had two vaginas. So I replied, "What would we say to her anyway if we did see her: 'Aaaagh!! Two vaginas! Two vaginas!!!'?" Everyone started laughing.
This dude wanted to get into this school so badly that he was sweaty and kept asking if all of the advanced science courses he has taken would get him into the school. Krickies, I hope he won't be there with me.

Dorms have cable...WTF...I had a TV for a term and realized it was pointless plus if you are gonna watch something its nice to take a break and watch something like grey's anatomy in a common TV lounge with like 20 other people...wow what are these kids gonna do in med school when they don't hace copious amounts of free time...I suppose mommy and daddy will just by them cable w/ tivo/dvr....eeeekkkk

gdbaby said:
Then he told us not to say anything in case the woman found out he told. Mind you, this is the only descriptor we received of the woman: that she was a woman and had two vaginas...This dude wanted to get into this school so badly that he was sweaty and kept asking if all of the advanced science courses he has taken would get him into the school. Krickies, I hope he won't be there with me.
Some people don't understand the execution of patient-information protection laws. Imagine two docs talking about this case:

Doc1: I had an interesting patient today.
Doc2: Oh, really? What was their primary complaint?
Doc1: well, this one...she had, uh, two...um...ya'knows
Doc2: So...did you suggest this person get...that one procedure?
Doc1: Yes. I think so. What were we talking about again?

Members don't see this ad :)
during one of my interviews one girl took out her knitting supplies and started knitting while we were having our fin. aid presentation..

ziggy123 said:
during one of my interviews one girl took out her knitting supplies and started knitting while we were having our fin. aid presentation..

LOL ... knitting is the only thing that might help me kick SDN. (That wasn't me, though. I just might do it this week, though!)

I usually assume that I'm the one from another planet, and actively avoid discussing TV (I have my own alien forms of entertainment), pop culture, etc.

ziggy123 said:

haha that one takes the cake.

there was this one dude at one of my interviews who could not sustain eye contact for the life of him. as soon as someone looked at him he would turn his head towards the ground and then creep back up when he thought nobody was looking. weird.
-dr. mota

gdbaby said:
I had a guy in my interview groups who, while some of us were waiting for our interview, was telling us how he was working at a clinic and they had a female patient who had two vaginas. Then he told us not to say anything in case the woman found out he told. Mind you, this is the only descriptor we received of the woman: that she was a woman and had two vaginas. So I replied, "What would we say to her anyway if we did see her: 'Aaaagh!! Two vaginas! Two vaginas!!!'?" Everyone started laughing.
This dude wanted to get into this school so badly that he was sweaty and kept asking if all of the advanced science courses he has taken would get him into the school. Krickies, I hope he won't be there with me.
hahahaha, was that at iowa??? i remember us all laughing unreasonably loud at something but i'd forgotten what we were laughing about.. i think the admissions staff thought we were all nuts!

gdbaby said:
I had a guy in my interview groups who, while some of us were waiting for our interview, was telling us how he was working at a clinic and they had a female patient who had two vaginas.QUOTE]

OMG - I knew a girl with two vaginas once! I wonder if it's the same girl?? :laugh:

lainey234 said:
OMG - I knew a girl with two vaginas once! I wonder if it's the same girl?? :laugh:

lots of girls have 2 vaginas. they just refer to the second one as an anus
-dr. mota

gdbaby said:
Hey, weird, I had a two-vagina'ed woman at a clinic I used to volunteer at.

Anyway, at one of my interviews, I sat next to a guy who seemed nice enough, but was very awkward and quiet--you know, really soft-spoken, awkward gait, etc. I tried to strike up a convo to kill the time, but he wasn't biting. Even when the MS2 sat down to each lunch with a few of us and we asked questions, the akward guy never said a word. Didn't even eat. Again, I tried to make small talk and asked the interviewee if he was hungry--he just shook his head and stared at his packet.

Poor guy. He must've been really nervous.

There was a dude at one of my interviews with a really REALLY boisterous voice. Like he couldn't control the volume of his voice or his laugh. Mind you he wasn't saying anything obtuse or weird....but it was his small talk....it wasn't so small, it sounded like a rhino

ziggy123 said:

You caught me!! :laugh:

Just joking... I'll be the girl knitting during the fin aid presentations NEXT year.

SigPi said:

I don't know about the other poster, but my parents were absolute lunatics. So, when I heard about this boarding school I applied. Since my family lived below the poverty level, I got almost a full ride. The rest of the money came from working long hours in the dishroom of the cafeteria....

This thread receives Rafa's 'thread of the day' award in category: humor! :)

Really weird experience you had. I can't believe she was interviewing for medical school admissions.

I have been independent ever since I moved to the U.S as a freshman. And after college, honestly, I was the one who helped my parents - financially. I am humbled and honored that I was and still am able to, of course.

I love southpark! Unfortunately, can't watch it because of my five year old. The only show I watch now a days is The Daily Show'

s.

nikibean said:

I had a guy bring his mom to one interview. He hardly said anything but his mom had a lot to say. He just sat there while she said things like "how much one-on-one attention do you give students here?" and "I'm a nurse, an attorney, and I've published 17 books so I'm also an author." It was really really really funny.

moinmoin said:
I had a guy bring his mom to one interview. He hardly said anything but his mom had a lot to say. He just sat there while she said things like "how much one-on-one attention do you give students here?" and "I'm a nurse, an attorney, and I've published 17 books so I'm also an author." It was really really really funny.
You would NEVER get the idea that he was pushed into it by his mom. Never.

One interviewee kept staring at my face (poor girl) during lunch and I asked her what was wrong. She told me she was wondering what other race(s) I could pass for. WTF?!

potato51 said:
One interviewee kept staring at my face (poor girl) during lunch and I asked her what was wrong. She told me she was wondering what other race(s) I could pass for. WTF?!
Obviously she was referring to mashed, tater tots, freedom (french) fries, or au gratin!

RxnMan said:
Obviously she was referring to mashed, tater tots, freedom (french) fries, or au gratin!

Hahaha...props for this comment

At one of my interviews, I saw this guy with a Snoopy X-mas tie on...in January! And to make matters worse, he couldn't tie it right so it only came half-way down his shirt, so it seriously looked like he was wearing a tie for kids. He had an overall social uneasiness to him, so you couldn't really risk making a joke about it without feeling mean. Damn funny though. I bet he got in!

DaMota said:
-dr. mota
ummmm kaaay

BaylorGuy said:
There was a dude at one of my interviews with a really REALLY boisterous voice. Like he couldn't control the volume of his voice or his laugh. Mind you he wasn't saying anything obtuse or weird....but it was his small talk....it wasn't so small, it sounded like a rhino

I had a similar experience at one of my interviews... only he was asking really personal and obnoxious questions to fellow interviewers.

As the director of admissions was giving us, the interviwees, an overview of our day and was telling us how the interviewers want to get to know us, so we should relax, one of the interviewees asked, while chewing on a straw: "How do you expect us to relax if you have to reject half the people?" It just seemed so tactless.

-dr. mota

LMAO! Dude, if I end up going to Tulane next year, can we be housemates?

I'll pay for cable... :laugh:

These are good stories. Let's keep them rolling in- PS Kudos to the super cool married Mormon skiier dude with whom I discussed skiing and Shane McConkey - you were a cool fellow interviewee, and made it fun to be there that morning. I hope you get into UW.

potato51 said:

Wow. Pre-med brings out the inner ******* in all of us :)

DrKitty said:
As the director of admissions was giving us, the interviwees, an overview of our day and was telling us how the interviewers want to get to know us, so we should relax, one of the interviewees asked, while chewing on a straw: "How do you expect us to relax if you have to reject half the people?" It just seemed so tactless.

If I were the director, right then I would snap back with, "Some of you are easier to reject than others, but I'm sure YOU can just go ahead and relax."

ok so this story's somewhat serious, depending on how you want to take my rant.

so i'm at Bob's school of medicine in early january and there's 5 of us sitting for a presentation at the end of the day, doing a wrap up QnA session with the dean. I ask a question about research opportunities, to which the dean replies with something along the lines of, "well, we're really more clinical, but there are other schools like Sally's SOM which focus more on research. hey Jane (other interviewee who the dean has personally interviewed), you've done research at Sally's before, what do you think?"

The girl replies with, "Dr. Smith, I COMPLETELY agree with you, after working at Sally's for a year, I can tell that they definitely focus more on research."

She then turns to me and says," you know, if you're looking for a more research based institution, you should look into Sally's."

I don't know what you guys think of this, but I've never felt so attacked by a fellow interviewee before. I don't know if she was intentionally trying to make me look bad, just to gain points from the dean, but I didn't appreciate it at all. Good thing out of 100 other interviewees that i've ever met, she's in the minority (or actually, all by herself, biatch :) ).

nikibean said:
LMAO! Dude, if I end up going to Tulane next year, can we be housemates?

I'll pay for cable... :laugh:

for sure. can you cook? i can. and i smell good.
-dr. mota

DaMota said:
for sure. can you cook? i can. and i smell good.
-dr. mota

I do too with a little help from my boy 'Gio Armani.

crazy_cavalier said:
If I were the director, right then I would snap back with, "Some of you are easier to reject than others, but I'm sure YOU can just go ahead and relax."

that would have been fantastic

I'm a river guide! Of course I can cook.
Do you drink gasp- Peets - if yes, then it's all good... even better if you like tequila. I believe that I'll be making loads of my own salsa in N.O. And I have my Lebanese grandmother's cookbook...
Peets.com is going to save my ass when I leave Cali.

On a different note:

Kirexhana,
Kudos to you. I have so little tolerance for that kind of assanine behavior. I don't know how you controlled yourself.
I would have smacked that bitch into the next galaxy (I imagined reaching through the computer into your reality and smacking her for you). Those kind of people are the ones who get theirs when it comes to actually being liked. They have to live with themselves, and because they're into backstabbing, they are constantly worried about being taken advantage of themselves. What a sad, sorry, anxious way to live- at least you know that she is in her own eternal hell, self-made. All you can do is pity and hope they learn...

nikibean said:
I'm a river guide! Of course I can cook.
Do you drink gasp- Peets - if yes, then it's all good... even better if you like tequila. I believe that I'll be making loads of my own salsa in N.O. And I have my Lebanese grandmother's cookbook...
Peets.com is going to save my ass when I leave Cali.

a fellow tequila lover. i'm sold. i'd rather drink peets then that starbucks bullsh*t. lebanese food is awesome too. Carnival in LA has the best lebanese food if you're ever around here holler at me and we'll hit it up.
-dr. mota

yeah, you definitely meet some real chumps at these interviews. i was at an interview recently where an interviewee decided to announce to us that the particular school was not respected and was the worst school in that particular region. this was in earshot of the admissions officers and coordinator who were all sitting in the same physical space as us. i saw the admissions officer grimace. there were only a few of us there that day, and i'm positive she knew our names because she had to get each one of us for our interviews. anyway, if that's not sticking your foot in your mouth, i don't know what is.

RxnMan said:
I hurl myself at you!

nikibean said:
Kirexhana,
Kudos to you. I have so little tolerance for that kind of assanine behavior. I don't know how you controlled yourself.
I would have smacked that bitch into the next galaxy (I imagined reaching through the computer into your reality and smacking her for you). Those kind of people are the ones who get theirs when it comes to actually being liked. They have to live with themselves, and because they're into backstabbing, they are constantly worried about being taken advantage of themselves. What a sad, sorry, anxious way to live- at least you know that she is in her own eternal hell, self-made. All you can do is pity and hope they learn...

oh believe me, had we not been in the presence of the adcom, that bitch would have gone down. i wouldn't normally hit girls, but i think i'd make an exception. it's ok tho, i haven't yet lost my faith in humanity because i realize there are many nicer people out there like you guys. :)

I'm sorry people, I just don't get it. Why was what she said offensive? I'm obviously missing something...When I read what you wrote, it sounds like she was pointing out a school that may be more aligned with your interests. Was it the way she said it (tone, etc.) that was offensive?

-D

kirexhana said:
oh believe me, had we not been in the presence of the adcom, that bitch would have gone down. i wouldn't normally hit girls, but i think i'd make an exception. it's ok tho, i haven't yet lost my faith in humanity because i realize there are many nicer people out there like you guys. :)

ddog01 said:
I'm sorry people, I just don't get it. Why was what she said offensive? I'm obviously missing something...When I read what you wrote, it sounds like she was pointing out a school that may be more aligned with your interests. Was it the way she said it (tone, etc.) that was offensive?

-D

it was partially the tone, she was talking down to me, as if i didn't know that the other school was a research oriented school and the other part was that she kept suggesting that i go there instead of the school i was currently interviewing at, in front of the dean, making it seem like the current school is a bad fit for me (which it wasn't, i loved it and just wanted to know more about other aspects)