Strategies for Informing the Public

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Be a Pro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think we should begin a thread to pull ideas together about the best way to inform the public about the importance of the level of training in their anesthesia provider. The public (I believe) wants the best for their loved ones care -- not the cheapest. I think if we can inform the public -- finally, they'll be on our side and will leverage legislators, placing supervision soundly in the physician's domain.

I threw something together -- It may suck and have problems, but I am only an intern trying to brainstorm here. :thumbup:

http://www.google.com/base/a/1554674/D17846812224608148442

Members don't see this ad.

I think we should begin a thread to pull ideas together about the best way to inform the public about the importance of the level of training in their anesthesia provider. The public (I believe) wants the best for their loved ones care -- not the cheapest. I think if we can inform the public -- finally, they'll be on our side and will leverage legislators, placing supervision soundly in the physician's domain.

I threw something together -- It may suck and have problems, but I am only an intern trying to brainstorm here. :thumbup:

Good but you might want to specify what kind of board certified physician you want in charge of the anesthetic.

Yeah....okay. Replace "board certified medical doctor" with "board certified physician" since you are leaving out all the thousands of D.O.s who provide expert anesthesia on a daily basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking good. We need to include something about nurses delivering anesthesia, as most people do not realize that receiving anesthetic care from a nurse is even a possibility.

Many people, in my experience, are shocked and literally horrified when they realize this.

I think at this point we should aim to get a consolidated message together. I am afraid that the line between a great and a harmful (to the physician cause) message is very thin and I hope some of the senior members can give input to help avoid this -- imagine some cheesy militant sounding spot that just turns the public off -- lets not do that.

By the way, does the ASA put out public messages? I wonder what Dr. Lema thinks on this issue.

Another intern told me that the format, fonts, and colors are basically cheesy, she is probably right. But I think for now we should basically work as a team to sculpt a solid message -- A silver bullet message. Later on we can talk about the appropriate format/interface for the public...T.V, radio, flyers on windsheilds, SPAM, Lame POPUP windows, electronic phone calls... singing telegrams, whatever.

It was suggested to bring up nurses -- that I think is pretty direct --maybe too direct -- and I have no idea how to do that without seeming insecure or pissing off co-worker CRNA's. Any thoughts?

A previous post suggested "physician" instead of medical doctor -- I think thats works too. Hence the newest version would be:

"Ask about your anesthesia.
Before you or someone you love undergoes surgery,
find out the level of expertise of who will be providing anesthesia.

Anesthesia applies some of the most potent and dangerous drugs ever created to some of the most fragile people we know.
When administered by an expert anesthesia is a miracle.
When used without expert supervision anesthesia can lead to tragedy.
Ask about the level of expertise of who will be providing anesthesia.
Demand expert qualifications. Demand that a Board Certified Physician be in charge of your loved one’s anesthesia."

Feel free to chop this up and/or add new stuff, start from scratch, whatever lets just get this going.:thumbup:

BaP

I'll go on record saying that I like it. This has been a big contention of mine with the ASA. They are just sitting back and watching the AANA take the initiative. The ASA really is pissing me off. Therefore, no money from me until they change.

The problem that I see involves the following line:

"Demand that a Board Certified Medical Doctor be in charge of your loved one's anesthesia"

The issue is that one could argue that this also applies to CRNAs directed/supervised by non-anesthesiologist physicians.

Having said that, it seems a bit redundant to use "Board Certified Physician Anesthesiologist" or "Anesthesiology trained physician." Any thoughts?

What about a Dateline Special type gig?

Imagine:

"Who is watching over you when you go under?"

"Reports that non-physician health care professionals are attempting to silently be in charge of you and your loved one's anesthesia are popping up all over the country. This shocking news surfaces as do reports of mishandeled anesthesia with reported torturous awareness. You cannot afford to miss this special about the potentially hazardous insourcing of america's healthcare to less trained paraprofessionals that have found a loophole to LEGALLY, yes LEGALLY, undersell physicians and administer potentially lethal drugs without professional supervision. Find out tonight on NBC how to contact your state representatives and insurance carriers to inform them that your families will not tolerate anesthesia administration without expert supervision. Tom Brokaw Reports with a special appearance by Katie Couric Tonight on NBC."

stick it to em troops:thumbup: ...

I still feel that something about nurses delivering anesthesia needs to be included. You haven't educated anybody about the issues with this add.

In the PACU I see CRNA's introduce themselves as "so and so, your nurse anesthesia provider". Ten minutes later I hear the patient say to the attending, "wait, I thought doctor 'so and so' was my anesthesiologist", and point to the CRNA. People do not understand the issues, they should have been educated prior to arriving in the preoperative holding area.

I think people need to know that there are individuals called CRNA's who are nurses by trade. They also need to know that anesthesiologists are physicians by trade. And they need to know the difference. Despite the fact that I'm a physician (MD), my mother asked me, "isn't an anesthesiologist a nurse? How come you had to go to medical school?" I explained it to her. Then she had surgery not to long ago and told me her anesthesiologist was Dr. X, but wondered why he had different degree then mine...and it wasn't D.O. My mother is CFO of a large insurance company, completely capable of grasping these concepts...but has still managed to misunderstand them.

This is the battle we have to fight if we want to run an effective campaign. Directness is not a form of insecurity, it's the only way to educate. Those who came before us have been too "PC" for too long, and the result is that the public has no clue who's who in the hospital anymore. This issue is much larger than anesthesia. Next time you're on the wards ask your patient how many time he/she's seen a doctor today. Even if you're the first, you'll get an answer somewhere along the line of "oh, there's so many of you I've lost count". Then look at all the dieticians, nurses, phlebotemists, volunteers, action nurses, bed management, pharmacists, social workers etc. wearing long white coats. No wonder the patient is confused.

You can't beat around the bush with this one, if you're going to do it right. Be direct. Educate. Then let the public decide.

Darwin,
I know and agree exactly with what you are saying. I really think that we need to be careful with this though and be clear that we are FOR SUPERVISION of CRNA anesthesia and against UNSUPERVISED CRNA anes. We are not opposed to CRNAs as long as they are supervised -- the public will agree -- once we tell them what an Anesthesiologist does -- which is the JOB OF THE ASA! --who seems to need a BIG REMINDER OF THIS! When they know the seriousness of the situation, the public will definitely begin to voluntarily find out the qualifications of their providers and demand the involvement of a physician.

I can imagine a conversation b/t an unsupervised CRNA and a concerned/informed patient: "You know there is no data yet showing a bad outcome with an unsupervised CRNA!" and the patient says "Well I sure as hell don't wan't to be your first. Thanks now please can I speak with the attending Physician? "

I really have no idea how you introduce the nurse thing without starting a big war -- though I really am not afraid of one. -- With an informed public we cannot lose -- it is simply impossible. Like people have said repeatedly on the forum: surgery is rare in peoples lives and they simply want the best they can get -- regardless of the cost.

So 2 things at least need to be drilled into the public:
1) Anesthesia is serious and potentially dangerous/deadly ****.
2) They must make sure they get anesthesia with the involvement or at least the close supervision of a Physician trained in the ART of said potentially dangerous/deadly ****.

I am beginning to envision a multi pronged effort with discrete message goals.
Go team.:thumbup:
I cannot imagine what defense the AANA can have!

Be a Pro,

Wholeheartedly agreed. Here's where we can start.

From the ASA website under patient education, this is the list of suggested questions that patients should ask:

* What are your qualifications? How many procedures like this have you done?

* Who else might be involved with my anesthesia care?

* Will I meet with an anesthesiologist before surgery?

* Do you monitor my heart and breathing? What else?

* Do you have a 24-hour recovery room? If not, where will I recover?

* What are the qualifications of the personnel in the recovery room, and is an anesthesiologist on call to respond to the recovery room?

* Who will manage my pain control needs after surgery?

Let's contact the ASA with the suggestion that we add one question to the top...

Will a physician who is board certified in anesthesiology be supervising or delivering my anesthesia?

And we should add the ASA website to the flier/program/pamphlet, with instructions to click on "patient education" to learn more.

Looking good. We need to include something about nurses delivering anesthesia, as most people do not realize that receiving anesthetic care from a nurse is even a possibility.

Many people, in my experience, are shocked and literally horrified when they realize this.

True, most people have no clue.

Members don't see this ad :)
This goes along with the same lines I'd written in some other threads. My thought was the same--educating the public. I said only physicians should wear white coats and was almost laughed at. The uniform is how people easily distinguish personnel.

Anyway, I digress.

I am all for the idea. I think the ad needs some work, but it gets the ball rolling. You should state something along the lines of "Make sure you or your loved one recieves care from an anesthesiologist who graduated from medical school. Did you know that people are being given anesthesia without the input of a physician who was specialty trained in anesthesiology? Unfortunately, you are not alone. Doctors can only keep you safe if you recieve care from one. It is your life, demand an expert."

That's all I can think of for now. Keep this rolling. I've also got some ideas that we could present to the ASA at a meeting if we get this going.

I'm considering doing a study where patients are greeted in the holding area by doctors and CRNAs at my hospital. Prior to drugs and going back I'll ask them who is giving their anesthesia, what are their qualifications, do the patients care, etc. It will be interesting to see the results. Any ideas?

We could make this a multi-institutional deal. I'll talk to my program director about it and see how feasible it is.

All in the name of public education/safety. That is how we will win this war with the AANA:thumbup: :thumbup:

Another thing to inform the public, it costs the patient basically the same amount if there anesthesia is provided by an unsupervised nurse or Board certified Physician in Anesthesiolgy.

This goes along with the same lines I'd written in some other threads. My thought was the same--educating the public. I said only physicians should wear white coats and was almost laughed at. The uniform is how people easily distinguish personnel.

Anyway, I digress.

I am all for the idea. I think the ad needs some work, but it gets the ball rolling. You should state something along the lines of "Make sure you or your loved one recieves care from an anesthesiologist who graduated from medical school. Did you know that people are being given anesthesia without the input of a physician who was specialty trained in anesthesiology? Unfortunately, you are not alone. Doctors can only keep you safe if you recieve care from one. It is your life, demand an expert."

That's all I can think of for now. Keep this rolling. I've also got some ideas that we could present to the ASA at a meeting if we get this going.

I'm considering doing a study where patients are greeted in the holding area by doctors and CRNAs at my hospital. Prior to drugs and going back I'll ask them who is giving their anesthesia, what are their qualifications, do the patients care, etc. It will be interesting to see the results. Any ideas?

We could make this a multi-institutional deal. I'll talk to my program director about it and see how feasible it is.

All in the name of public education/safety. That is how we will win this war with the AANA:thumbup: :thumbup:

I like all the ideas being thrown around here and was wondering if we could contact the media directly in case the ASA does nothing about it.

I am sure a well-written email message could be sent to a major news outlet informing them of what is going on with nurses providing anesthesia without supervision. They are interested in stories that affect all americans regardless and this issue certainly crosses socioeconomic lines and can literally affect anyone. We can throw in the fact that many hospital CEOs are shortchanging patients to make more money by only hiring CRNAs and putting patients' lives at risk.

Anything to get out message out there. Let's not leave our future to chance by expecting others to protect our livelihood.

Yeah, but I think what we need to do is try to get some hardcore data about how clueless the public is first. We also need to come up with and refine several ads like the OP shows. Furthermore, we need to present these findings at the ASA meeting, speak about them with the higher ups and get more input and a widespread strategy. Then, we can go public with massive appeal on something like dateline.

It is important not to de-value CRNAs, but more to educate what their role in anesthesia is.

This only works if it is well planned and executed to perfection. Otherwise it's a half-assed job with half-assed results.

The best ad ideas need to be presented to ASA and state anesthesia societies. From there the PAC money can fund full page ads in major newspapers, (USA Today, New York Times, Boston Tribune, Miami Herald, Dallas Star, LA Times, etc). We could also even try to get TV commercials out.

I do not think this will work by gradually leaking an ad out here or there, or by calling a news station. In my opinion we need to have a massive arsenal of quality and in the span of a couple of days launch everything nationwide out of the blue. At that time the ASA, AMA etc can have statements released lending credibility. It is sure to get on the news, and with all major city's papers displaying ads the issue would gain face time.

United we stand.

here are some ideas from PAPA, a physician-activist group here in pennsylvania that has a bit broader scope, but you get the idea. these types of tactics are for if (or maybe i should say when) it starts to get ugly...

http://www.fightingdocs.com/main/battle_materials.html

(and, i'm glad to see many of you understanding how serious this issue is. i hope you all remain this motivated as you move out of med school/residency into private practice.)

Ok guys, I have tried to pull everyones coments together and with some of the text from the ASA patient site mixed in I have tried to accomplish these goals:
1) infrom a bit about what anesthesiologists do and how their training is distinctive.
2) inform a bit about the nurse movement (not sure how to do this but I tried) and give a visceral kick to the situation.
3) inform what the public can do to assure the highest level of care: ASK

Here it is in mac and PC formats:

http://www.google.com/base/a/1554674/D16272402861191644536

I am sure there are problems, lets work on it. We can get the format worked out later on.

Again any advice from the senior member would be really helpful.:thumbup:

Take it to em.:thumbup:
BaP

Ok guys, I have tried to pull everyones coments together and with some of the text from the ASA patient site mixed in I have tried to accomplish these goals:
1) infrom a bit about what anesthesiologists do and how their training is distinctive.
2) inform a bit about the nurse movement (not sure how to do this but I tried) and give a visceral kick to the situation.
3) inform what the public can do to assure the highest level of care: ASK

Here it is in mac and PC formats:

http://www.google.com/base/a/1554674/D16272402861191644536

I am sure there are problems, lets work on it. We can get the format worked out later on.

Again any advice from the senior member would be really helpful.:thumbup:

Take it to em.:thumbup:
BaP

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Amazing. Strong work man. I like how you included examples. One more thing that I would somehow add in there is the 'guise' that CRNAs use--the term "anesthesists". Yes, I know that at some universities anesthesists is used instead of 'anesthesiologists' but heck it's time for that to change. As ppl stated above, the common person doesnt realize that an "anesthesiologist" is a doctor and an "anesthesist" is a CRNA. As someone above stated, we need to be DIRECT. Even highly educated ppl do not understand the difference b/w a Anesthesiologist and CRNA. I've had atleast 1 nurse come up to me and tell me, " I didnt know that you had to go to med school to be an anesthesiologist".

I say we wrap this up in a week or so and like Toughlife said let's leak this out to the mainstream press IF the ASA doesnt do anything with it in a reasonable amount of time. Let's make a time line. How about a final draft by this coming Tuesday.

**guys also see my post in the "More CRAP from CRNA" thread. Another easy thing that we can ALL do...even med students.

I think the way to go is NO leaks. A carefully thought out and carefully executed plan with the weight of the ASA is the only way to go -- ideally THEY would get their act together and use our work as an example and do a higher quality media/PR type deal this is why we pay dues -- it has to have the ASA for gravitas -- otherwise it will seem fringe. I think the entire field needs to move as a united front -- especially because the goal is changed legislation -- and a unified coordinated force is the best representitive in conjunction with the growing public concern that we will seek genrate.

I think as Reeftiger's post hit on nicely (above): we need to get this on the agenda of the ASA... get it on the agenda for the meeting. There is urgency, but I think we should not rush into a sloppy mess. There are superstars in the field that know the best arguments, the real data, and the way to explainthis to the public --

Among our top priorities:
1) Get our message together... in progress and coming along.
2) Get the big guns in the know like our senior members and in the ASA to take ownership of the effort and to help make the sucker NUCLEAR.
3) When the time is right explode on the public

This should not take more than a few months -- as long as we keep making noise now within our circles to round the troops and get everyone riled up and on board. This really needs to become a well known and wide spread mission of all doctors in anesthesia.

Any advice on how to get the seniors attention?

Just my thoughts,

others?

Read Reeftiger's post HERE:

"Yeah, but I think what we need to do is try to get some hardcore data about how clueless the public is first. We also need to come up with and refine several ads like the OP shows. Furthermore, we need to present these findings at the ASA meeting, speak about them with the higher ups and get more input and a widespread strategy. Then, we can go public with massive appeal on something like dateline.

It is important not to de-value CRNAs, but more to educate what their role in anesthesia is.

This only works if it is well planned and executed to perfection. Otherwise it's a half-assed job with half-assed results.

The best ad ideas need to be presented to ASA and state anesthesia societies. From there the PAC money can fund full page ads in major newspapers, (USA Today, New York Times, Boston Tribune, Miami Herald, Dallas Star, LA Times, etc). We could also even try to get TV commercials out.

I do not think this will work by gradually leaking an ad out here or there, or by calling a news station. In my opinion we need to have a massive arsenal of quality and in the span of a couple of days launch everything nationwide out of the blue. At that time the ASA, AMA etc can have statements released lending credibility. It is sure to get on the news, and with all major city's papers displaying ads the issue would gain face time.

United we stand."

You fools.

All this is going to do is look like alot of "below the belt" shots and make the entire lot of us look bad. The vast majority of what you wrote are assumptions not facts.

This is not the way to make change, its like a scored lover writing the chicks name on the bathroom wall and a phone number with "for a good time call...." below it. Are you people in high school?

FYI: I was driving in the SF bay area the other night and listening to KGO AM 810 and was shocked to hear a commercial by the AANA
"informing" the public about the contributions to safe anesthesia made by CRNAs. This was around 11 PM in the SF bay area aired by one of the main radio stations here.

Clearly we are heading into a public information (or dis-information) war with the CRNAs. They are in the lead. We NEED to catch up quickly and aggressively. I hightly commend everyone on this thread who is contributing and we should NOT wait for the ASA. We should raise funds, publish, distribute and buy ads. We should use email, youtube, radio adds, etc.... Clearly this is a race to shape the public's point of view. We as physicians owe it to patients to inform them and let them make an educated decision on who they want to provide their anesthesia.

FYI: I was driving in the SF bay area the other night and listening to KGO AM 810 and was shocked to hear a commercial by the AANA
"informing" the public about the contributions to safe anesthesia made by CRNAs. This was around 11 PM in the SF bay area aired by one of the main radio stations here.

those who perceive themselves to be the ones who have the most to lose will usually be the first to go on the offensive...

You fools.

All this is going to do is look like alot of "below the belt" shots and make the entire lot of us look bad. The vast majority of what you wrote are assumptions not facts.

This is not the way to make change, its like a scored lover writing the chicks name on the bathroom wall and a phone number with "for a good time call...." below it. Are you people in high school?

I agree with taking the high road.

I think the way to go is NO leaks. A carefully thought out and carefully executed plan with the weight of the ASA is the only way to go -- ideally THEY would get their act together and use our work as an example and do a higher quality media/PR type deal this is why we pay dues -- it has to have the ASA for gravitas -- otherwise it will seem fringe. I think the entire field needs to move as a united front -- especially because the goal is changed legislation -- and a unified coordinated force is the best representitive in conjunction with the growing public concern that we will seek genrate.

I think as Reeftiger's post hit on nicely (above): we need to get this on the agenda of the ASA... get it on the agenda for the meeting. There is urgency, but I think we should not rush into a sloppy mess. There are superstars in the field that know the best arguments, the real data, and the way to explainthis to the public --

Among our top priorities:
1) Get our message together... in progress and coming along.
2) Get the big guns in the know like our senior members and in the ASA to take ownership of the effort and to help make the sucker NUCLEAR.
3) When the time is right explode on the public

This should not take more than a few months -- as long as we keep making noise now within our circles to round the troops and get everyone riled up and on board. This really needs to become a well known and wide spread mission of all doctors in anesthesia.

Any advice on how to get the seniors attention?

Just my thoughts,

others?

Read Reeftiger's post HERE:

"Yeah, but I think what we need to do is try to get some hardcore data about how clueless the public is first. We also need to come up with and refine several ads like the OP shows. Furthermore, we need to present these findings at the ASA meeting, speak about them with the higher ups and get more input and a widespread strategy. Then, we can go public with massive appeal on something like dateline.

United we stand."

What is the high road?

The OP seems to agree with Reeftiger who suggested working within the ASA, following their process of approval and refinement and allowing the ASAs choice of tactics to dictate the course of action. What other option is more coordinated? I think this is the high road.
Agree? Disagree? Why?

What is the high road?

The OP seems to agree with Reeftiger who suggested working within the ASA, following their process of approval and refinement and allowing the ASAs choice of tactics to dictate the course of action. What other option is more coordinated? I think this is the high road.
Agree? Disagree? Why?

the contributions to the ASA-PAC are appalling. want to take the high road? donate $100/yr to the ASA-PAC, or more if you can afford it.

Be-APro

wtf is a para-professional? Nurses, OT, PT, Pharm etc etc etc are all PROFESSIONALS. Based on your actions, you are clearly NOT.

BTW: I lodged an official complaint with google and the ASA about that page. YOU dont speak for ALL residents (or any anesthesiologists) that is the job of the ASA.

Creme,
What's the deal, why the chip on your shoulder. We are just tossing around ideas here -- nothing is getting out to the public -- that is the point. We need to work on it as a team -- and how many times do we have to say this: WITH THE ASA -- nothing public unless it is directly from the ASA, but A) we need to get ideas together somewhere, and google beta is hardly a public (and the public does not read this forum) and B) We need to get the ASA rolling. Now lend a hand, or get the hell out of the way.

Uh huh.

You do that by creating a webpage that IS public (anyone can go to it) and posting it on one IS thats public (anyone can come here).

just b/c the ASA does not publish its strategic plan on a public website doesn't mean there isn't one. Goto a state meeting.

If you want to get the "ball rolling" donate to the ASA-PAC or volunteer. What your doing is circumventing the chain of command.

yeah, i agree with cremesickle (despite recent demonstratrion that she/he's generally a *****). you need to take that page down.

Just because I want to work as a team -- I temporarily deactivated the items. If other people agree with Creme I will do this permanently. However if other people voice that they want to continue to work on this the same way I'll put em back on. I am always open to less public ways of sharing (although google base is really not terrifyingly public nor has anything shocking been tossed around), I'll try to find one out where I can issue passwords to people -- not that that will be air tight.

Let me know what you guys want.

Just because I want to work as a team -- I temporarily deactivated the items. If other people agree with Creme I will do this permanently. However if other people voice that they want to continue to work on this the same way I'll put em back on. I am always open to less public ways of sharing (although google base is really not terrifyingly public nor has anything shocking been tossed around), I'll try to find one out where I can issue passwords to people -- not that that will be air tight.

Be a pro, put the page back up and let's brainstorm over it. Don't worry about what others think here, especially cremesickle. Let's stick to the plan of refining it and bring it up at the next state or national meeting.

BE A PRO

another idea is let's use the Private Forum. We can discuss ideas for the poster on the private forum. that way ppl (ie CRNAs,etc) wont be able to see the stuff that we put together yet since many of them frequent this website I'm sure.

everyone else interested in getting this thing off the ground let's all go to the Private forum. Here's how to get access:

Go to your Control Panel (User CP)
Select 'Group Membership'
Choose the ASA Member category
Submit your request
Wait for the group leader to review your application.
Enjoy! ...just need to be a ASA member and a physician (attendings and residents)/student.

Keep up the great work BE A PRO!

This is an interesting quandry but one that can be avoided by using commercial spots/websites/etc. to laud our training. What has been said about the lay public not knowing the difference in who is providing anesthetic care is very true.

Case in point: One of my patients for the upcoming week spent an hour talking to me two days ago to make sure that I was aware of her heart disease, anxiety, allergies, and two near death experiences during surgery.

The very first question she asked me was about whether or not I was a physician. The next was to ask if another type of anesthetist was going to be present, to which I said no. Unsolicited, she told me that her last two procedures (breast implants, and redo breast implants) were near death experiences at plastic surgery centers using 90% CRNA's, requiring her to be transferred to tertiary hospitals for ICU stays, the latter of which included prolonged awareness under anesthesia during a severe hypotensive episode. This can happen to any anesthesia provider, but until the second of two events, she did not know that she could have had an anesthesiologist perform her anesthetic (the center she went to gives the patient that option IF THEY ASK which she discovered in the very fine print during her subsequent lawsuit, but otherwise defaults to CRNA's with surgeon oversight).

It is a matter of trying to blur the lines of training that is going on with many fields of medicine.

When does the public deserve to know that they can have physicians provide their care when they may be steered or influenced in another direction? It should be a matter of choice, but how can you choose when you are either not given that option, or one side tries to blur the lines of distinction? We do not have to start a flame war in the public eye, but neither should we abstain from raising our public profile to laud our minimum of 12 years of higher education including 8 years of grueling training at the highest level.

It is an interesting situation that is affecting ophthamology, obstetrics, family and internal medicine, emergency medicine, etc.

"Dr. XXX XXXXX, O.D., Doctor of cosmetic optometrics and invasive vision correction" Saw that in Garland, Texas the other day. To read that makes one assume that optometrists can do surgical vision correction and perhaps cosmetic surgical procedures.

Let's take the high road with respect to attacking the other side, but like a cardiology spot I saw a couple of years ago, let us laud the strength, depth, and diversity of training that anesthesiologists receive and practice. General anesthesiology, cardiac anesthesiology, intensive care, pediatric anesthesiology, pain management, invasive pain management, obstetric anesthesiology, transplant anesthesiology, trauma care, total perioperative care, research in all types of physiology, etc.

EVERY anesthesiologist has to receive at least a minimum amount of training in each subject, as well as what they receive as a general resident during internship or other residencies.

That needs to be emphasized in a public but not necessarily combative or condemning fashion.

The commercial spot I saw was a positive, fast-paced spot set to a positive up-beat orchestral soundtrack lauding the variety of care provided by cardiologists in the different settings they practice in (invasive, general, electrophysiologic, chronic, emergent, etc.) with a final message of "Cardiologists of XXX, superior and cutting edge patient care of the past, present, and future."

This is an interesting quandry but one that can be avoided by using commercial spots/websites/etc. to laud our training. What has been said about the lay public not knowing the difference in who is providing anesthetic care is very true.

Case in point: One of my patients for the upcoming week spent an hour talking to me two days ago to make sure that I was aware of her heart disease, anxiety, allergies, and two near death experiences during surgery.

The very first question she asked me was about whether or not I was a physician. The next was to ask if another type of anesthetist was going to be present, to which I said no. Unsolicited, she told me that her last two procedures (breast implants, and redo breast implants) were near death experiences at plastic surgery centers using 90% CRNA's, requiring her to be transferred to tertiary hospitals for ICU stays, the latter of which included prolonged awareness under anesthesia during a severe hypotensive episode. This can happen to any anesthesia provider, but until the second of two events, she did not know that she could have had an anesthesiologist perform her anesthetic (the center she went to gives the patient that option IF THEY ASK which she discovered in the very fine print during her subsequent lawsuit, but otherwise defaults to CRNA's with surgeon oversight).

It is a matter of trying to blur the lines of training that is going on with many fields of medicine.

When does the public deserve to know that they can have physicians provide their care when they may be steered or influenced in another direction? It should be a matter of choice, but how can you choose when you are either not given that option, or one side tries to blur the lines of distinction? We do not have to start a flame war in the public eye, but neither should we abstain from raising our public profile to laud our minimum of 12 years of higher education including 8 years of grueling of training at the highest level.

It is an interesting situation that is affecting ophthamology, obstetrics, family and internal medicine, emergency medicine, etc.

"Dr. XXX XXXXX, O.D., Doctor of cosmetic optometrics and invasive vision correction" Saw that in Garland, Texas the other day. To read that makes one assume that optometrists can do surgical vision correction and perhaps cosmetic surgical procedures.

Let's take the high road with respect to attacking the other side, but like a cardiology spot I saw a couple of years ago, let us laud the strength, depth, and diversity of training that anesthesiologists receive and practice. General anesthesiology, cardiac anesthesiology, intensive care, pediatric anesthesiology, pain management, invasive pain management, obstetric anesthesiology, transplant anesthesiology, trauma care, total perioperative care, research in all types of physiology, etc.

EVERY anesthesiologist has to receive at least a minimum amount of training in each subject, as well as what they receive as a general resident during internship or other residencies.

That needs to be emphasized in a public but not necessarily combative or condemning fashion.

The commercial spot I saw was a positive, fast-paced spot set to a positive up-beat orchestral soundtrack lauding the variety of care provided by cardiologists in the different settings they practice in (invasive, general, electrophysiologic, chronic, emergent, etc.) with a final message of "Cardiologists of XXX, superior and cutting edge patient care of the past, present, and future."

once again, some of the wisest words from one of this forum's true leaders.

thanks, UT.

once again, some of the wisest words from one of this forum's true leaders.

thanks, UT.

I haven't had much time to post due to a very busy practice and new responsibilities in business and local societies, but I will try to re-emerge in the near future to chime in on the very lively debates that are present.

I haven't had much time to post due to a very busy practice and new responsibilities in business and local societies, but I will try to re-emerge in the near future to chime in on the very lively debates that are present.

thank you. your even-headedness and wisdom is, as of late, a rare but much appreciated presence on this overly-alarmist forum. your posts are of more value than 99% of the detritus i read here.

thank you. your even-headedness and wisdom is, as of late, a rare but much appreciated presence on this overly-alarmist forum. your posts are of more value than 99% of the detritus i read here.

Hey, you....you know....the fat, balding, doubled chinned, old guy...that's right...you

Your sleep apnea is causing you to be delusional.....I'm going to have to give your group a call about your 2 faced attitudes.

Hey, you....you know....the fat, balding, doubled chinned, old guy...that's right...you

Your sleep apnea is causing you to be delusional.....I'm going to have to give your group a call about your 2 faced attitudes.

oh ....and I forgot....big eared....big deaf ears.

you don't think UT is a valuable poster? wow. i'm surprised to hear that.

(and, dude, you seriously need to get a life. you've already repeatedly proven that you're nothing more than a two-bit, dangerous, ass-kissing, pseudo-physician-come-crna-level technician. so, your work here is pretty much done.)

Amazing

volatile, you are nobody in the anesthesia world (just like me). A Lowly resident. Even if your graduating soon with a new job your attitude here amazes me. You spout above about how "99% of this forum is BS" yet here you are, part of the 99%. Why bother posting or coming here then?

MilMD may be crass at times but at least he has experience. You will ALWAYS be second to him, hes your superior. Get used to it. The hiarchy dosent end when u leave the ivory tower.

Please take it outside boys.
Thanks.:thumbup:

you don't think UT is a valuable poster? wow. i'm surprised to hear that.

(and, dude, you seriously need to get a life. you've already repeatedly proven that you're nothing more than a two-bit, dangerous, ass-kissing, pseudo-physician-come-crna-level technician. so, your work here is pretty much done.)

UT and I have spoken on the phone....I was referring to you when it comes to trash posts.

Your group is getting a call from me. Good luck.

UT and I have spoken on the phone....I was referring to you when it comes to trash posts.

Your group is getting a call from me. Good luck.

easy there smoky.. easy.. you know that you do your mightiest to piss everyone off in here.. so take it easy.... and for the person who said military has more experience therefore he is the voice of reason.. there is a joke... Ive been listening to military md for several years and most of what he or s he types on this forum is opinionated garbage... He is an admitted racist and mesogenist.. How can you believ anything he says.. And i have NO personal vendettas against him.. Just calling it likes it is..

Ok now back in formation.

Now:

1) Does anyone know specifically of any plans, statements, or goals that the ASA may have regarding public communication?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to learn about this information?

PM me if you wish to discuss it off the board.
Thanks.
:thumbup:
BaP

Ok now back in formation.

Now:

1) Does anyone know specifically of any plans, statements, or goals that the ASA may have regarding public communication?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to learn about this information?

PM me if you wish to discuss it off the board.
Thanks.
:thumbup:
BaP

I queried Mark Lema about a POSITIVE publicity campaign by e-mail, but have not gotten a response, although he did chime in on the other thread as I had hoped he would.

I queried Mark Lema about a POSITIVE publicity campaign by e-mail, but have not gotten a response, although he did chime in on the other thread as I had hoped he would.

Unfortunately, he didn't say anything.