handsome pharm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
My state has only one pharmacy school and they are not transfer friendly. I am planning on applying to the top 15 public schools as listed in US News.

Since it doesn't really matter where you graduate to work retail, I see very little point in extensively researching public schools. The top 100 seems like a good benchmark to start my application process.

I really don't know how else to "choose" a pharmacy school. They all seem very much alike and in the end, CVS-Walgreens-etc will hire anyone with no criminal record and a d.pharm attached to their name.

If anyone could offer further guidance I'd appreciate it.

SCCpharm

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Cali
Status
Pharmacy Student
Perhaps schools with the lowest tuition. Being in $100,000+ in debt and being in $30,000+ debt after you graduate will probably make a difference to you.

Or perhaps schools that reside in states you could see yourself living in. After spending 3-4 years at that state and doing rotations there, you might not want to move back to your hometown.

Or based on how the curriculum is offered. Some schools have you taking 5-7 classes simulatenously, while some have you taking only one class at a time.

3 years vs 4 years?

What kind of variety and how much experience do the schools give you?

What is the NAPLEX pass rate for each school? In some schools, only 80% of the students pass NAPLEX the first time while some have a passing rate of 97%.

handsome pharm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Those are some excellent points. I was under the impression that public schools have virtually the same tuition, as the US Gov reimburses them a fixed amount for each student. My pre-reqs have been entirely paid for by the Pell grant. Does any such tuition reimbursement exist for pharm school?

Assuming the most important points for me are:

1. Low tuition (public school)
2. 3 year
3. Top 50

What schools would you recommend?

About the Ads

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
A major issue for those 3 year schools will be the new 300 hour IPPE requirement. Before going on rotations, you'll need 300 hours of direct patient care practice. It is hard to say if those 3 year schools will be able to remain 3 years in length. It was hard for my 4 year school to dig up those hours, and to do so, they had to remove a rotation.

SCCpharm

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Cali
Status
Pharmacy Student
1.)To see the tuition you would have to go to each school's website or maybe find a list somewhere.

2.) Here is a list of all the 3-year institutions in the US (from the pharmacy FAQ on here):
Albany College of Pharmacy
Duquesne University
Ferris State University (a 3.5 year option is available to 4 year students)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Massachusetts - Worcester
Midwestern - Glendale
Pacific University
South University
Sullivan University - opening Fall 2008
University of Appalachia
University of the Pacific
University of Southern Nevada (formerly Nevada College of Pharmacy)

I know that USN (3 year school) doesn't have a problem filling the 300 IPPE hour requirement. After the 1st and 2nd year, USN students will have completed about 328 IPPE hours.

Once you go to pharmacy school, from my knowledge, you are ineligible for the pell grant because it is a graduate degree program. You also become ineligible for any grants. So for tuition reimbursement, you will have to apply for scholarships and loans.

As for recommendations, I don't think I am qualified to give any.

About the Ads