Strategy of studying after work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHONDAROBINSON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there anyone else out there who works fulltime and study after work? What is your strategy for not being so tired while trying to study? My job is not that strenuous, but is mentally tiring. After fighting the traffic to get home and trying to keep up with household duties and bill paying there is very little energy left. If there is someone else out there that is doing this also, what is your secret?

rr

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Is there anyone else out there who works fulltime and study after work? What is your strategy for not being so tired while trying to study? My job is not that strenuous, but is mentally tiring. After fighting the traffic to get home and trying to keep up with household duties and bill paying there is very little energy left. If there is someone else out there that is doing this also, what is your secret?

rr

short nap, then books

don't go home.. go straight to the library, often when you go home your unable to concentrate do to the distractions tv, food etc. that way if you go to the library and your in a studios enviornment you will be able to keep going throughout the day (im sure you dont even realize your tired at work until you get home) or if your doing overtime you probably dont realize your THAT tired, until you get home.. so trick is go to the library and keep home as a place where you go and just relax. Hope this helps!

Hello,

rr
I found the MCAT Audio Osmosis CDs very helpful for a lot of the material. I would listen to them driving to work in the morning and on the way home in the afternoon. By the time I was ready to take the DAT, I just about had these CDs memorized. The CDs go over most of the material that will be on the exam, but they do leave out a few topics -- plants and classification. They also include a set of physics CDs, which I just tossed aside.

This might not be what you're asking, but it helped me maximize my study time while getting my everyday task of driving complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the library approach also you might want to grab some coffee and some chips to munch on. other than that set goals for yourself on a daily schedule. I am a full time student and I also have a limited amount of time to study. Best of luck.

RED bull Will do it
it will keep you awake both mentally and physically for hours....if it doesn't work try some other energy drinks

For me, every minute counts. I'm not sure if I should even say this, but while I'm waiting for something like at a stop light or stuck in traffic, I flip through some bio. notecards. I have a to-do list for each day and I try to stick to it. If I didn't complete the list, I tried to not be discouraged and just revise the list. You have to be flexible with yourself, because you're only human. Eating healthy and a little bit of exercise here and there has helped with energy and brain power. Most importantly, is to stay positive and optimistic, because the workload can be overwhelming. I guess that's where family and friends come in to cheer you up. As a personal choice, I've taken time off of work as of late to just get things done in a timely manner instead of spreading the work out. Working and studying for this test is brutal. No doubt. I wish you the best and I hope we get into our school of choice. Good luck!

Hello,

rr

I worked fulltime as of May this summer, and presently still fulltime, but that means waking up at 6am, taking train at 7:30, getting in to city at 8:30, riding subway/buses and getting to work at 9:30a. Then when I leave work after 5, there's all that time to get to the train station, and one hour trip home, then by the time I get home, it's already 11pm- I shower, eat, and it's already 1am! Studying after work, is hard with all those other errands you have to take care of, but definitely try to find all those possible "minutes" to study, for example, during my one hour lunch breaks, I just run to the library and study for the 30 minutes I can, and on those bus, subway rides, hard to take books out and concentrate, but flipping thru random notecards, and doing 10 problems before I actually get home helps. I don't know if you drive to work, or commute on public transportation, but maybe listening to audio recordings help too, if your hands are not free. And from the other suggestions I've seen, going straight to the library helps after work. When you're home, you tend to feel obligated to fulfill other duties. Good luck. If you can, take a few weeks off from work. My boss allowed me to do that, and it helped a lot- physically and mentally.:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. I have been doing some of the same things you are doing such as studying flashcards at the stop light and studying on the lunch break. I hope this helps me, but I feel like I am still not ready for the test. Thanks again.

rr

what flash card r u using?

thanks

hausee

Thanks for the advice. I have been doing some of the same things you are doing such as studying flashcards at the stop light and studying on the lunch break. I hope this helps me, but I feel like I am still not ready for the test. Thanks again.

rr

I just made my own flash cards from the Kaplan review notes and also just flash cards I made from going over the DAT Achiever tests.

rr