Strengthen my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KDBuff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading the posts for a while now, but haven't been participating. I just recently decided I wanted to apply to dental school, and was wondering what I could do in the next few months to strengthen my application to be sent out in July/Aug? My grades are a little low, 3.1, 3.0 sci, but I expect both to be about a point higher after this semester. I've volunteered about 100 hrs at a physical therapy clinic, and worked in a nursing home for 9 months. I'm working right now to find someone to shadow on a weekly basis. Does it matter who I shadow? If I'm not necessarily thinking about specializing, will it still look just as good to shadow an Oral Surgeon? Anyways, sorry about all the questions at once, I'm sure I'll have many more to come. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The main idea in shadowing is that you find out how what a Dentist does, how the office smells, if you can stand that high piched WHIZZZZ all day.

I am often asked if I will specilize, my answer is "How do I know, I've seen most of the stuff done but how will I know if I like it untill I do it." Be open to chance, happenstance and universal curve balls.

Apply earlier if possiable, study for the DAT and try and score high and search your soul for why you want to be a Dentist, be able to express this in your letter, start working on it now. Don't be afraid to throw it out and start over if you feel yourself fluffing to much or not being honest.

Kdbuff,

Your clinical exposure is impressive, any clinical exposure to patients will be looked highly by dental schools. You're absolutely right, get yourself into a private dental clinic and expose yourself to the amazing world of dentistry!

Whether it's Oral Surgery or a general practice office, any exposure is fine!! My very first dental office I shadowed was a Periodontics office! Talking about "nose-dive" into bloody procedures!! It was great! Good luck and welcome to "our" forum!! :cool: