stressed and confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeghanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Me again, sorry!

Ok so I am 23 and will graduate with my BSBA in November. I was planning on starting my diy post bacc in a few weeks while going to my other school. My mom suggested that I take a year in between and work/volunteer/ etc. A part of me feels like she's right and another part of me says to get on it.

I need 35 more credits to apply to med schools and a major gpa boost. I was going to apply during the 2016 cycle but this would push me out a year. Has anyone else taken a gap before post bacc? suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a reason to rush this process. An extra year doesn't mean anything at this point (especially if you feel that waiting a bit will benefit you). Just make sure to get that GPA up to the correct amount of significant figures ;)

No - but I have taken 3 gap years after my grad degree

Members don't see this ad :)
Me again, sorry!

Ok so I am 23 and will graduate with my BSBA in November. I was planning on starting my diy post bacc in a few weeks while going to my other school. My mom suggested that I take a year in between and work/volunteer/ etc. A part of me feels like she's right and another part of me says to get on it.

I need 35 more credits to apply to med schools and a major gpa boost. I was going to apply during the 2016 cycle but this would push me out a year. Has anyone else taken a gap before post bacc? suggestions?
I suggest that you complete your current degree and not add on an extra class this semester. You need to make straight As (or as close to it as possible) in all of your classes. If you find that you have more time than you need for school this semester, by all means, go ahead and start volunteering and/or get a part time job. But don't jeopardize your grades. You can then start your post bac in January and continue your part time work/volunteering as able and desired.

Hey!

I didn't take a gap before starting on my post-bacc...but that was because my last year of college I pretty much spent planning out my entire path. But it's okay if you need the time! Honestly, changing career paths to medicine..and then realizing what all that entails is enough to set anyone on edge!
Taking the post-bacc at the same time as finishing your degree might be a little difficult, and I personally wouldn't recommend it..

You may be better off either taking that year off to do as your mom suggested, OR applying for post-bacc programs that start the following summer/fall after you graduate. That way you get a bit of a break..and maybe some time to complete applications because most post-bacc programs have their deadlines in the spring.

I think applying to start post-bacc in the summer/fall is your better option because it'll give you some time to wind-down and even look for some shadowing/volunteering/or work which you can later add to you resume.

It would also give you an opportunity to do some research and look at other people's experiences. When I decided to switch to medicine, I was SOOO stressed out, confused, and just wanted to find other people's experiences so that I could make better decisions myself. Eventually, I applied to post-bacc programs and I'm about to begin this Fall!

If you would like to keep up with my experiences, feel free to check out my blog: www.scrubsandvodka.com

I'm going to post about my experience with my post-bacc as I go along. Since I'm just starting there are only like...2 posts. But I plan on adding and talking about different topics, like MCAT, how to get shadowing...how to de-stress! :)

Best of luck to you!

-C.R.