This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentneedshelp

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I was recently accepted into both Stritch and Georgetown for medical school next year and was wondering if I can get some insight on which to choose. I really care abut research and the academic side of medicine, health advocacy, a condensed curriculum style, and where I can match well in Chicago. I will explain some pros and cons for each:

Stritch:
Pros:
-I'm IS, so very close to home. Support system and friends all around me
-I know people who go there and people who would be M1s with me; student body is great
- Cheaper
- addition**: although maybe less opportunities at Stritch itself, the Chicagoland area has plenty of research opportunities and ways to establish myself to be able to focus on getting into a competitive academic program (correct me if this is wrong)??
- have a pretty good reputation for training great clinicians.
- 2020 match list is great.
Con:
-I'm not the biggest fan of the way their curriculum is set up, and they’re changing it a bit as well so there will be some commotion
Additions:
Much less research funding
Much less lower ranked

Georgetown:
Pros:
-I have always wanted to live in D.C and this is my chance
-would love to explore and branch out temporarily.
-I care a lot about health advocacy and they have a huge focus and really cool programs related to this because of their location in D.C.
-Great match list, can match back into Chicago if I want to
-Can do research at the NIH, which I thought was pretty cool (but feel free to dispute this)
-I prefer their curriculum set up
- better ranked
- muchmore research funding
Con:
-far from home and family
-cost of living $$$

Thanks for the help! If there are any people who currently go to either school, I'd love to hear your opinions too!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, having visited Georgetown and the surrounding area, I feel like you need something more than what you listed to make me pick Georgetown over Loyola.

Id sit down and try to estimate the cost of attending each including if youd need a car (not sure if the metro and stuff reaches the Loyola area).

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, having visited Georgetown and the surrounding area, I feel like you need something more than what you listed to make me pick Georgetown over Loyola.

Id sit down and try to estimate the cost of attending each including if youd need a car (not sure if the metro and stuff reaches the Loyola area).

I already have a car in the Loyola area & cost of living would be way cheaper (even though tuition is almost the same). But with Georgetown I wouldn’t need a car for at least the first year or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already have a car in the Loyola area & cost of living would be way cheaper (even though tuition is almost the same). But with Georgetown I wouldn’t need a car for at least the first year or so.
When I went to DC I thought it wasn't necessary. Although busing into Georgetown would be the painful part, the rest seemed doable if not better than driving.

Loyola. I interviewed at both places this cycle and was accepted at Loyola (waiting to hear back from Georgetown).

Interestingly, both are Jesuit medical schools, but I felt much more at home at Loyola. Their interview day was my best experience by far, and I got the impression that every student is extremely well-supported academically and emotionally. Given that you also have strong connections to the area, you would be in really good hands.

As far as cons, yeah Loyola's curriculum is a bit standard and you would spend more time in class and mandatory things that in Georgetown. Research is also weaker. But I still stand with Loyola.

Loyola. I interviewed at both places this cycle and was accepted at Loyola (waiting to hear back from Georgetown).

Interestingly, both are Jesuit medical schools, but I felt much more at home at Loyola. Their interview day was my best experience by far, and I got the impression that every student is extremely well-supported academically and emotionally. Given that you also have strong connections to the area, you would be in really good hands.

As far as cons, yeah Loyola's curriculum is a bit standard and you would spend more time in class and mandatory things that in Georgetown. Research is also weaker. But I still stand with Loyola.

Interestingly enough, I had felt the opposite. I really wanted Loyola to feel like home but it didn’t, but that may just be due to the fact that it was my first interview
Do you know when their second look is?

Interestingly enough, I had felt the opposite. I really wanted Loyola to feel like home but it didn’t, but that may just be due to the fact that it was my first interview
Do you know when their second look is?
Yeah, there is definitely a lot of factors can shape people's interview experiences. I just happened to have one of the kindest interviewers and tour guide and a very pleasant interview group at Loyola. To be fair, Georgetown definitely exceeded by expectations (was reading into a lot of the criticisms in the sdn thread), and I would be happy going there.

Not sure when second look is, but in the past it was first week of April.

Stritch. Money is huge and you'll be fine with the curriculum.

Plus, I liked Loyola's facilities so much better when I interviewed. And the students seemed much happier.

Also, if you're a single dude trying to mingle, the last class was like 65% females ... ;)

Anyone have any thoughts about if my decision should change given the STEP 1 will be P/F for me? It seems that school rank will likely hold higher importance now, and Stritch is unranked....

So SSOM’s rankings for this year came out and they’re 88 vs GUSOM’s 44. Given this whole p/f step thing, should ranking even be a factor I’m considering (especially since I’m interested in research & academic medicine)?? Does it matter? I truly don’t know, and would appreciate some insight if anyone has!

No it doesn’t matter. Loyola and GT are very similar in the minds of PDs and people in Med school world

So SSOM’s rankings for this year came out and they’re 88 vs GUSOM’s 44. Given this whole p/f step thing, should ranking even be a factor I’m considering (especially since I’m interested in research & academic medicine)?? Does it matter? I truly don’t know, and would appreciate some insight if anyone has!

If it was loyola vs. a top 20 then I would say yes rankings matter, but the difference between Loyola and Georgetown isn’t significant. Loyola has a solid academic hospital network and residencies in almost every specialty, despite its ‘lower’ ranking. I would say go to whichever makes you happier and/or is cheaper

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys for all your help! I truly appreciate it. After basically taking all time that I could to think about it, I decided to commit to stritch. was super blessed either way, and very excited for the future!

• Love