Strong in-state ties - Florida schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akb5633

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PA resident, but my sister lives near Tampa, my aunt and cousins live near Orlando. Would these be considered strong in-state ties for any FL schools? I'm fairly certain I'm going to apply to Miami, but I was also considering University of Florida and USF.

I checked the MSAR for number of IS vs OOS matriculants, but since the OOS number likely includes people who are from regionally close states, not really sure how helpful that info is for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the FL schools, except FSU, save seats in their class for OOS applicants. They don't need any ties to FL at all. Your ties will only help you

Reactions: 1 user
These are NOT ties.

Ties are YOU living in FL at some point in your life.

I'm a PA resident, but my sister lives near Tampa, my aunt and cousins live near Orlando. Would these be considered strong in-state ties for any FL schools? I'm fairly certain I'm going to apply to Miami, but I was also considering University of Florida and USF.

I checked the MSAR for number of IS vs OOS matriculants, but since the OOS number likely includes people who are from regionally close states, not really sure how helpful that info is for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These are NOT ties.

How much do ties help? I've been an FL resident for over 10 years now but I was born and raised in NY and would love to go back.

These are NOT ties.

what if you did a selective summer research/SURF type thing funded by NIH at a public med school but are OOS. Does that count as any sort of ties to the school since it was such a short period (10 weeks) but got a publication out of it?

I'm just curious as to how that would change the view for an OOS applicant since you obviously don't live there but have some relationship?

I don't think so. I see tons of posts by SDNers who try this, but it doesn't seem to work out for therm.,

Look, the taxpayers of the state want to know you're going to stick around and practice there, because they're subsidizing your education.

what if you did a selective summer research/SURF type thing funded by NIH at a public med school but are OOS. Does that count as any sort of ties to the school since it was such a short period (10 weeks) but got a publication out of it?

I'm just curious as to how that would change the view for an OOS applicant since you obviously don't live there but have some relationship?[/QUOTE]

Did you or your immediate family/legal guardian pay taxes in Florida? If not, then you do not have strong ties to the state.

If you're unfamiliar with higher ed in Florida, here's the main anecdote to know. Fl has a program called "Bright Futures" which will basically provide either 75% or 100% tuition for high academically achieving HS students in Florida who are accepted and attend a public Fl university.

They want to retain students because studies show that they are more likely to pursue a career in the state after graduation. The same goes for med school. They want to use these institutions to train physicians that will want to stay and practice in Fl.

Last year I was one of only a handful of applicants offered an interview and accepted to FSU who was OOS. I had no family ties, but I went to undergrad there and helped raise nearly $1 Million for the CoM. So it's likely those other OOS applicants had some very compelling reason for those schools to interview them.

Did you or your immediate family/legal guardian pay taxes in Florida? If not, then you do not have strong ties to the state.

If you're unfamiliar with higher ed in Florida, here's the main anecdote to know. Fl has a program called "Bright Futures" which will basically provide either 75% or 100% tuition for high academically achieving HS students in Florida who are accepted and attend a public Fl university.

They want to retain students because studies show that they are more likely to pursue a career in the state after graduation. The same goes for med school. They want to use these institutions to train physicians that will want to stay and practice in Fl.

Last year I was one of only a handful of applicants offered an interview and accepted to FSU who was OOS. I had no family ties, but I went to undergrad there and helped raise nearly $1 Million for the CoM. So it's likely those other OOS applicants had some very compelling reason for those schools to interview them.

Wow, that's impressive! Congrats!

And, nah, my parents are both PA residents as well. But part of the reason I am interested in FL schools is because my sister lives there; it'd be nice having family relatively close. Thanks for the info about the whole FL higher ed thing. I wasn't aware of that program.

I'm probably still going to apply to Miami, since it is private...although, I know that private schools can still hold regional preferences.

Do you happen to know any more about USF? That's definitely the closest FL school to my sister, so I'm still thinking about taking a chance at that as well.

Also, stat wise i'm pretty competitive (GPA 3.96, MCAT 520), so not sure if that's a compelling enough reason to be given an interview or not.

And, nah, my parents are both PA residents as well. But part of the reason I am interested in FL schools is because my sister lives there; it'd be nice having family relatively close. Thanks for the info about the whole FL higher ed thing. I wasn't aware of that program.

I'm probably still going to apply to Miami, since it is private...although, I know that private schools can still hold regional preferences.

Do you happen to know any more about USF? That's definitely the closest FL school to my sister, so I'm still thinking about taking a chance at that as well.

Also, stat wise i'm pretty competitive (GPA 3.96, MCAT 520), so not sure if that's a compelling enough reason to be given an interview or not.
I interviewed there this cycle, you should definitely apply. They are big in mcat. You should apply to ucf too in orlando

Do you know if FL med schools have preference for Bright Futures recipients? Not in terms of financial help, but rather if being a Bright Futures recipient is something they consider highly.

What do you think????

Lol, sorry!

Bolded has to be mentioned, as this will give you the biggest boost.

Nearly every school will ask "Why our school?" and saying you have family living int he state is a fine answer. However, that in and of itself won't give you any bonus points.

A few schools I'm applying to as an OOS are ones I have strong ties too. I lived there for 7 years during middle and high school. Also, immediate family is still living there. Can I write about this as ONE reason as why I choose their school in the secondary, among other reasons of course. Or is this looked down upon.

Having a familial support system is important to me, and it is the main reason why I want to attend their schools, but I don't know if this is acceptable to adcoms as being the main reason.

Thanks!

USF loves high MCAT scores, so that's something you have on your side. I wonder if being a PA resident would push you to being offered an interview to their SELECT program, I can certainly see the logic behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
USF in particular loves high MCAT scores, so that's something you have on your side. I wonder if being a PA resident would push you to being offered an interview to their SELECT program, I can certainly see the logic behind it.

Completely agree with this post...^^^
USF LOVES MCAT! So you're good in that aspect, they also LOVE their SELECT program. You can choose which program you're applying for on their secondary (Core, Select, or Both). And most choose "both" to "increase" their chances, but regardless i could definitely see them interviewing you for Select. (Great program, but only thing that sucks is you pay OOS tuition all 4 years, even as a FL or PA resident!!)

USF in particular loves high MCAT scores, so that's something you have on your side. I wonder if being a PA resident would push you to being offered an interview to their SELECT program, I can certainly see the logic behind it.

Completely agree with this post...^^^
USF LOVES MCAT! So you're good in that aspect, they also LOVE their SELECT program. You can choose which program you're applying for on their secondary (Core, Select, or Both). And most choose "both" to "increase" their chances, but regardless i could definitely see them interviewing you for Select. (Great program, but only thing that sucks is you pay OOS tuition all 4 years, even as a FL or PA resident!!)

Wow, I can't believe I wasn't aware of their SELECT program (thanks for enlightening me!)

And as far as the tuition thing, since PA med schools are all private, I've just accepted the fact that I'll be paying a lot, regardless if I stay in-state or go out-of-state. In fact, often, OOS school's non-resident tuition < PA school's resident tuition.