Struggling to Make a Final Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrroth

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to a few great pharmacy schools with one interview left. I am currently holding spots at UIC, UNC, and UW with a UCSF interview in the next week.

However, I am struggling with which would be the best choice. I am an out-of-state student for all of these schools and I do intend on pursuing a residency after pharmacy school. Because all of these schools are fantastic pharmacy schools and I really like the area all of them are in, how do I make the final decision? Are there any that have a bad reputation among students for one reason or another?

Please don't comment about the profession of pharmacy and the over-saturation of the profession. I have worked in pharmacy for years and I am very passionate about the profession which is why I am going into it. I've done my research.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know what schools “UIC” or “UW” are.

With that being said I think I would go with UCSF due to cost you will save from attending a 3 year program. I also like UNC. You shouldn’t have a problem finding a residency if you attended one of those schools and you would probably enjoy those locations.

I don’t know what schools “UIC” or “UW” are.

With that being said I think I would go with UCSF due to cost you will save from attending a 3 year program. I also like UNC. You shouldn’t have a problem finding a residency if you attended one of those schools and you would probably enjoy those locations.

UIC is University of Illinois -- Chicago and UW is University of Washington. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to cheapest school (tuition and cost of living)

Reactions: 3 users
UIC is University of Illinois -- Chicago and UW is University of Washington. Thanks!!!
most important factors are keeping the cost down as well as choosing the most desirable location that you may want to stay in after graduation

If you are determined to do a residency, you should attend UIC.
I am a UIC grad and work in North Carolinas.

I have seen residency coordinator crated position out of thin air to accommodate unexpected number of residents. I remember two of my classmates did not match anywhere and begged the coordinator to do something for them, well, the program director did and they started residency.

Be forewarned, you will be working very hard under UIC residency program. You will get great experiences but expect 60 to 80 hours commitment.
Also, Chicago area is extremely saturated for clinical pharmacist. Don’t expect to find clinical jobs easily.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

First off: Congrats for your options

I've always believed that the name brand of a school alone does not carry as much merit these days as it may have in times past due to market competition in this field. Nonetheless, IFF the tuition + cost of living is negligible and not a huge differential, then by all means I would go along with a good potential pharmacy program that has great residency placements. Given the geography and saturation though, I would strongly recommend you crunch your numbers and see what the tuition and cost of living is in each area.

In the end, if your a successful student (4.0 GPA, intern, presentations, club rep) you are bound to be picked up by at least 1-2 residency programs no matter what regionally accredited pharmacy program you end up attending.

Reactions: 1 user
I just dont understand why anyone would risk so much, knowing full well the current situation with pharmacy.

Hi all,

I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to a few great pharmacy schools with one interview left. I am currently holding spots at UIC, UNC, and UW with a UCSF interview in the next week.

However, I am struggling with which would be the best choice. I am an out-of-state student for all of these schools and I do intend on pursuing a residency after pharmacy school. Because all of these schools are fantastic pharmacy schools and I really like the area all of them are in, how do I make the final decision? Are there any that have a bad reputation among students for one reason or another?

Please don't comment about the profession of pharmacy and the over-saturation of the profession. I have worked in pharmacy for years and I am very passionate about the profession which is why I am going into it. I've done my research.

Thanks in advance!

This is a very non scientific suggestion, but you may want to seriously consider it:

Trust your gut instincts about which place will give you the best learning environment. How were the interviews? Which schools had friendly faculty and enthusiastic students (and not just the volunteers! Think back to random students you came across.). Give consideration in attending a school that fosters an open learning environment where you won't have to bow your head down in shame and memorize everything without being able to ask questions or "why?"