Struggling with Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cream

Most of the people on here seem like they did not have a problem with pharmacy school and had no problem passing and getting by. I want to hear from the people that stuggled academically and did not get all A's and B's and had self doubt and maybe even second guessed themselves if they could do it. If there is anyone out there that can relate to this please respond. I am in pharmacy school and seem to be on the lower tier regarding academic performance compared to my peers and wonder if there is anyone else out there similiar to me who can relate. I understand this is probably a topic you would be embarassed to post, if that is the case please Private Message me.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the three questions you have to ask yourself:

1. Are you passing the classes?
  2. Are you learning the material?
  3. Do you enjoy what you are learning?
Your grades are NOT important as long as you pass. Do you know what they call the guy/gal who graduated last in his/her class at pharmacy school. The answer is pharmacist. The same thing they call the person who graduated first in his/her class.

Now that you are passing, however barely, you must learn the material. If you are not retaining the material you will have problems as school progresses as each year builds on the next. You will also have problems as a pharmacist. I never got the highest grades in my class until the very end. I wasn't interested in test scores as much as I was interested in really learning the material. That served me well. I was not a wait until the last minute and cram kind of guy. At then end of the 5th year (Yes in the olden days it was only 5 years) they gave us a practice Nabplex exam, 150 questions. Finished in 35 minutes and had the highest grade in the class.

You must enjoy the material. My youngest daughter is brilliant. It's like watching a brain on steroids. She is much smarter than I am. She would slit her wrists if she had to major in a science. She could do it, she doesn't enjoy it. She prefers English, History and French to Chemistry, Biology and Physics. That's why I went to Pharmacy School and she will not.

Think about answering these questions and that my provide some guidance. You were smart enough to get into pharmacy school and that's pretty competitive these days, so you're no dummy. Do not compare yourself to you peers. Prepare yourself for a career. That's what you are doing in pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not afraid to admit my grades were awful. I was on academic probation my first year, and after that I struggled through passing the rest of my courses.
I liked the material we were learning, I was just more into getting 8-9 hours of sleep each night than studying.

But I love pharmacy. On rotations other students didn't believe I could be at the bottom of my class because they felt I was knowledgeable, and I've been told by other pharmacists that they think I'll make a good pharmacist. I also passed the NAPLEX without much trouble.

So yeah, how well you do in school doesn't matter to anyone but yourself as long as you're passing courses and learning the important material. Though if you plan on going for a residency you'll need the grades, because it's easier for them to compare candidates by simple numbers.

Basically, I'm in the bottom 10% of my class and I don't give a crap because I still get to do what I want to do with my life.

remember the people that get in these days are used to getting anywhere from a 3.0-4.0 in their classes. Every single last seat is full of people who are intellectuals, and they really know their stuff. That said, not every single one of them can get those grades that they are used to. So getting the grades is much more difficult. It is not like you are a dummy but they expect even more effort for those grades.

My pre-pharm and pharm GPAs are exactly the same. I'm consistently inconsistent. Although, my days of commuting two hours in each direction are over, so my GPA will probably go up.

I struggled with depression and went through a divorce while I was in pharmacy school, so my grades were not the best. I generally got B's and C's in the book work, but once rotations came around, I got great evaluations and all "A's or B's". I learned alot better while on rotations and the information came together and became alot more confident.

Maybe it's just your learning style, I am more hands on, so I learn better by doing and applying.

IMO, grades are pretty irrelevant. The top people in my class were more "book smart", but some had problems with social skills and more problems on rotations applying, doing presentations, and working with peers and patients.

Doesn't help to compare yourself either. You can graduate last in your class, pass the law and NAPLEX, and you are a pharmacist like the rest of your class.

You don't need A's in pharmacy classes. You don't even need B's in the classes. But you do need to know pharmacy. Review everything you get wrong. And if it's not NAPLEX or real-world-worthy, then don't stress.

I second what Old Timer said. You need to do well on the NAPLEX like anyone else and you need to get the work experience needed to become a competent pharmacist. I recommend that you get a comprehensive NAPLEX review book and read it when you do your studies. Get a better sense of what's going on. That's much more important than a grade on a transcript. They're not always reflective of real-world competence. Pharmacy is a craft as much as it is a science. And like any craft, you need mentors and hands on opportunities to better yourself. And you should enjoy the time in pharmacy school and use it to network (and pick which football team's going to win on Sunday in your 'suicide pool' thread, which I have made such an ignominious 1st round exit from :().

I struggled with depression and went through a divorce while I was in pharmacy school, so my grades were not the best. I generally got B's and C's in the book work, but once rotations came around, I got great evaluations and all "A's or B's". I learned alot better while on rotations and the information came together and became alot more confident.

Maybe it's just your learning style, I am more hands on, so I learn better by doing and applying.

IMO, grades are pretty irrelevant. The top people in my class were more "book smart", but some had problems with social skills and more problems on rotations applying, doing presentations, and working with peers and patients.

Doesn't help to compare yourself either. You can graduate last in your class, pass the law and NAPLEX, and you are a pharmacist like the rest of your class.

what are rotations exactly? I am considering applying to pharm school in the near future but also unsure if I am well qualified. i mean... i graduated from a UC with a econ degree but I am currently taking prepharm reqs at a community college. so far its not too bad.. just wondering if i do get into pharm school, will i be overwhelmed?

what are rotations exactly?

Rotations are 4-6 week experiences at various pharmacy practice sites where you get real world experience. (you pay tuition just like you were in the classroom and don't make any money at the rotation site... as long as you think of it as further education and not "work" the no pay thing hopefully won't bug you!) Some schools only do a handful of rotations and other schools do nearly a year of them, just depends on your school!

pharmacy school is a lot easier than undergrad for me, but im just a p1 so I don't know if this helps. one suggestion i would make though- study an hour everyday regardless of classes. it hasnt failed me yet! hope this helps...

pharmacy school is a lot easier than undergrad for me, but im just a p1 so I don't know if this helps. one suggestion i would make though- study an hour everyday regardless of classes. it hasnt failed me yet! hope this helps...

... and be prepared to step it up when an hour is no longer enough. P1 year comes to an end. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
... and be prepared to step it up when an hour is is longer enough. P1 year comes to an end. ;)

P1 year was great! Pizza parties all the time, subs, lots of free stuff, etc. I miss it like I miss kindergarten. :(:(

I'm a P1, and I study for at least a few hours every day. Of course, I just started in August so I don't have a complete perspective yet.

Just thought I'd share that P1 is not sunshine and puppies for everyone. :rolleyes:

I'm a P1, and I study for at least a few hours every day. Of course, I just started in August so I don't have a complete perspective yet.

Just thought I'd share that P1 is not sunshine and puppies for everyone. :rolleyes:

It all depends on how you study really. I tended to just study 3 to 4 hours before exams and that was about the extent of my studying. I think the people who spent crazy hours studying actually did worse on many exams because they tried to focus too much on the details of each question. Just remember, the professors usually are not trying to trick people. They just want to make sure that people have a good grasp on the information. Understanding the material instead of trying to memorize makes taking exams much easier.

... and be prepared to step it up when an hour is no longer enough. P1 year comes to an end. ;)
theres no way I could even think about p2 year!
may i ask what the curriculum was for you during p1? For us it is basic stuff, med chem, biochem, anatomy/physiology, pchem. NI still haven't taken a true pharmacy class

For us, it is basic stuff, med chem, biochem, anatomy/physiology, pchem. NI still haven't taken a true pharmacy class

Nice....but I think there is a difference between basic stuff and foundations...Don't make it sound too easy...

Hi,

I enjoyed reading all your responses. They are very humble, indeed. Yes, I do agree with mostly all the content. I see lots of my classmates who are book smart but crash and burn on rotations. Being a good pharmacist involves many skills and academics is just one of them. I guess grades don't matter unless you want to apply for residency. Pharmacy school is hard. There's no easy breaks and no easy way out. You pretty much have to grind it out. Good luck!!!

Western University
College of Pharmacy
PharmD 2008

Reactions: 1 user
It also depends on your program - Is 89% a good score on an exam??? Not at my school - Just "kind-of sort-of" knowing the information will earn you a seat in reassessment for certain. We only take one test every two weeks - but its a hell of a test - for that, everyone is studying - and I dont think anyone did just 3 or 4 hours, and passed the first time around.

Struggling is part of the experience - if Doctoral programs were easy, everyone would be a Doc - Pharmacy school is gonna be rough - No worries though - you can duke it out, you wouldn't be in that seat if you didn't have the ability.

~above~

I am in pharmacy school and seem to be on the lower tier regarding academic performance compared to my peers and wonder if there is anyone else out there similiar to me who can relate.

I was in sorta the same situation you are in a couple weeks ago. I started school and thought that I was on the lower tier of the class. Test time came around and I pulled A's on the tests. This may not be true for you, but people at my school try to act/sound smart but have no idea what they are talking about. You might feel as if you are on the lower tier when you are actually average among your peers. Take a step back, remind yourself why you are in school, and study.

theres no way I could even think about p2 year!
may i ask what the curriculum was for you during p1? For us it is basic stuff, med chem, biochem, anatomy/physiology, pchem. NI still haven't taken a true pharmacy class

Our program was pretty much the same P1 year. We finally got a therapeutics class spring semester. Now in P2, we've got three therapeutics classes plus about five other busywork classes. I studied/worked on assignments for about eight hours last night and will probably come close to that tonight. Oh and I'm a C student now.

It's been a tough adjustment, but I AM adjusting :)

No. 1st year is not sunshine and puppies. But school gets harder (and busier) over time. Just prepare yourself for more work in the upcoming years.