Stuck in a Score Rut!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBtt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking my MCAT in 2 weeks. I have been studying for the last three months and so far have taken eight practice tests (2 of them Kaplan and 6 of them AAMC).

AAMC Test 3 was the first one I took and scored a 23 (pretty discouraging!). I went back and studied for about two weeks and then took the two Kaplan ones (waiting a week in between). I scored a 25 and a 26.

Since then, I have been taking about a test a week (the AAMC ones). My scores are as follows- 25, 28, 29, 29, 29. So my score is pretty consistent at 29 at this point. I almost feel like I'm stuck in a score rut! I'm still studying topics in Biology and Physics but up until this point I've reviewed everything else at least once. I feel like I'm not improving and that is discouraging. My weak point is time in the Physical Sciences section. I always running out of time and have to rush through the last 2-3 passages.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Also just to give an idea of my score breakdown- for the last two tests, it's been 9-11-9 and 9-10-10.

Members don't see this ad.

You score seems to be pretty stable, so I would suggest postponing your test and leaving the rest of the AAMC's for your next time around. Your verbal score seems to be decent, I mean I have been averaging around 37 with the same verbal scores as you, so as you can see its really possible to boost up your science scores. I don't know how you've been studying, but it's not just enough to do problems, as it is important to have an intuitive grasp on the material. Since you've taken AAMC 8 I think, AAMC 8 SPOILERS AHEAD, that was my last test too, and for a few physical passages I remember were nothing like what I've seen before, (Aristotle's gravity? wtf? lol) and the MRI thing. I happened to get both passages right because I knew the basics really well which allowed me to maximize my critical reading from the passage. If you don't know all the equations inside and out, all the physics/chemistry rules and laws, you're gonna be stuck trying to balance the passage information with background knowledge. I've also heard that people who took the test this summer felt like physical sciences were like verbal, in terms of critical thinking.

Last edited:
Wow, that's an excellent score! Also, yeah test 8 was weird! I actually did pretty well on those questions too so I guess I'm not a total lost cause!

So I think most of the problem is the time for me. Because if I go back and read the passages after the test is done, I can answer most of the questions I got wrong correctly. It's really hard for me to make that bridge between the background knowledge and the application in the allotted time period. But if I take a little more time (like when i'm redo-ing any test problems I got wrong), I can usually make the connection. I am doing passage questions from the Berkeley Review and EK so I'm hoping that will help. But of course, their passage questions aren't as hard as the MCAT ones.

I'm scared if I postpone it, I'll lose focus and spend a lot less time studying as I'm taking a full course load this semester plus shadowing a pulmonologist plus research.

True, I can't wait to be done with it too, but just keep in mind that in terms of med school admissions, your MCAT is more valuable than shadowing and research, combined. I was going to take it in summer, but postponed it, and studying with classes during Fall was a female dog, but it did help. Good luck!