Student Code of Conduct Violations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For someone with IA I see two scenarios:
Report the IA and probably not get into med school
Don't report the IA, and have a much better chance of getting in

Once the student matriculated, are schools really going to kick them out? Wouldn't that hurt thier statistics?

For the applicant with severe IA, it seems like it's Definetly worth the risk.

Better to hurt their statistics than to hurt the patients in their affiliated hospitals by permitting a proven liar to provide medical care and handle patients' medical records. If this sort of thing were to become public knowledge during a malpractice lawsuit that involved hiding information or falsifying information in a medical record, heads would roll. I'd sacrifice "statistics" to rid the school of someone who would do such a thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Better to hurt their statistics than to hurt the patients in their affiliated hospitals by permitting a proven liar to provide medical care and handle patients' medical records. If this sort of thing were to become public knowledge during a malpractice lawsuit that involved hiding information or falsifying information in a medical record, heads would roll. I'd sacrifice "statistics" to rid the school of someone who would do such a thing.

Oi. Maybe the we should have just let the concept that schools would actually share important IA information with each other persist. It seems likely to me that if someone is willing to go to the length of "intimidating a professor" to get a better grade or harass a boy because of separation issues, then lying on the AMCAS is certainly not out of their reach.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's true,
However, for someone who is probably not going to get into med school because of their IA it's probably still worth the risk. If they make it as far as sitting for the first day of class they are probably home free. If they get discovered before the first day of class, it's no big loss because they probably weren't going to get in anyway. I'm not advocating that type of behavior, I'm just saying that for someone with no conscience, it makes no sense to report IA and have a very low chance of getting in, when compared to not reporting it and have a higher chance of not being discovered. Personally, I thought that this stuff was always on the transcript but I guess I was wrong.

That's true,
However, for someone who is probably not going to get into med school because of their IA it's probably still worth the risk. If they make it as far as sitting for the first day of class they are probably home free. If they get discovered before the first day of class, it's no big loss because they probably weren't going to get in anyway. I'm not advocating that type of behavior, I'm just saying that for someone with no conscience, it makes no sense to report IA and have a very low chance of getting in, when compared to not reporting it and have a higher chance of not being discovered. Personally, I thought that this stuff was always on the transcript but I guess I was wrong.

Being suspended would be on a transcript (I've seen it) and academic probation would be somewhat obvious (usually gpa < 2.0) but unusual in a med school applicant. If a behavioral issue didn't result in expulsion, suspension, or probation, it would be unlikely to be on the transcript.

Many committee letters state that a student has or has not been the target of institutional action. If that statement doesn't match the AMCAS application it is GAME OVER for an applicant. That's one reason that not having a committee letter is viewed with suspicion if such a letter is available.

Being suspended would be on a transcript (I've seen it) and academic probation would be somewhat obvious (usually gpa < 2.0) but unusual in a med school applicant. If a behavioral issue didn't result in expulsion, suspension, or probation, it would be unlikely to be on the transcript.

Many committee letters state that a student has or has not been the target of institutional action. If that statement doesn't match the AMCAS application it is GAME OVER for an applicant. That's one reason that not having a committee letter is viewed with suspicion if such a letter is available.

Well,
I'm glad I waited all those months for my school's committee to write that letter. I had considered not having it because they take so long. Thanks for the info.

I had asked my pre-med advisor for a committee letter, and was told that most large universities have no pre-med committee. If that's true, I have to imagine a fairly significant number of applicants can't provide such a letter.

So these students can get away with a conduct violation resulting in IA if they choose not to disclose it? Really?

Sounds like there's a kink in the system somewhere. Are we really relying on the honesty of applicants to report their own past academic misbehavior? That sounds odd.

I had asked my pre-med advisor for a committee letter, and was told that most large universities have no pre-med committee. If that's true, I have to imagine a fairly significant number of applicants can't provide such a letter.

So these students can get away with a conduct violation resulting in IA if they choose not to disclose it? Really?

Sounds like there's a kink in the system somewhere. Are we really relying on the honesty of applicants to report their own past academic misbehavior? That sounds odd.

As mentioned IA's will show up on transcripts and I don't know what you're talking about almost all the big universities in my state have pre-med committees. It's a pretty big deal to well organized universities, they will definitely make an effort in creating such a committee. At my school you don't even get a committee letter if you have an IA such as cheating which definitely brings red flags to our application as explained before not having a committee letter when the school has a committee is very detrimental.

Partial list of schools I know of that have pre-med committees that write a pre-med letter:
Dartmouth
Cornell
Columbia
Harvard
Brown
Princeton
Yale
Penn
Hopkins
Duke
Emory
Notre Dame
Washington University
Vanderbilt

Much less common in public schools but the "top" private schools tend to offer them.

Much less common in public schools but the "top" private schools tend to offer them.

If that's true, I feel pretty lucky that my school (public state school) has a committee. :thumbup:

Partial list of schools I know of that have pre-med committees that write a pre-med letter:
Dartmouth
Cornell
Columbia
Harvard
Brown
Princeton
Yale
Penn
Hopkins
Duke
Emory
Notre Dame
Washington University
Vanderbilt

Fair enough. I may have misremembered my advisor's exact words. I'm at a state school.

I'm not sure it changes the question, though. If you saw my application, and I can't obtain a committee letter, how would you know that I'm not hiding some egregious academic dishonesty? There's no way you check up on that?

I just can't wrap my head around medical schools, as competitive as they are, not having some check on this. It seems like such a simple filter.

As part of its supplemental application, there is at least one school - IU - that requires a letter from your undergraduate Dean of Student Affairs (or similar executive) expressly delineating your behavioral record. Frankly, I'm surprised this is not the norm.

As part of its supplemental application, there is at least one school - IU - that requires a letter from your undergraduate Dean of Student Affairs (or similar executive) expressly delineating your behavioral record. Frankly, I'm surprised this is not the norm.

That seems logical to me.
It would be another hoop to jump through, but a good step

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure the deans would not be too happy with this requirement.

Meh, I'm sure it will just end up being a form letter filled in by secretaries.

What can I do to redeem myself from this incident?

MCAT--Have not taken it
GPA--3.6 but will probably graduate with a 3.7 or 3.8
EC
Volunteer at Nursing Home since 2009 until present
Caretaker for my grandma
Mentor for 3 months
Haitian Creole Translator at a Health Clinic
Other Random Volunteer Events.
Tutoring elementary -middle school children since high school.
Plan to take a 1.5 yrs off for research, volunteering, shadowing and a job that non-medical or medical.

I will try to get a LOR from the dean

What can I do to redeem myself from this incident?

MCAT--Have not taken it
GPA--3.6 but will probably graduate with a 3.7 or 3.8
EC
Volunteer at Nursing Home since 2009 until present
Caretaker for my grandma
Mentor for 3 months
Haitian Creole Translator at a Health Clinic
Other Random Volunteer Events.
Tutoring elementary -middle school children since high school.
Plan to take a 1.5 yrs off for research, volunteering, shadowing and a job that non-medical or medical.

I will try to get a LOR from the dean

I think you will need a lot of non-clinical volunteering, or another significant activity, to show that you have matured from that incident. However, I still think it will be an uphill battle for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
I think you will need a lot of non-clinical volunteering, or another significant activity, to show that you have matured from that incident. However, I still think it will be an uphill battle for you. Good luck.

I don't think it will be an uphill battle for her as far as the incident goes, but it will be an uphill battle to heal from this. Taking in what you've told us, I am assuming you didn't threaten to murder him. If you had, I would assume it would have been a LOT worse than it was. lol But, that's putting too much faith in the system...
Anyway, I understand that you're hurt and that you feel as though your life is over. But, it obviously is not. You have control over your life. NEVER hand over power to someone else. By saying that he "ended" your life, you're saying that he had the power to do so. You're saying that he had complete control over how your life is and will ultimately end up being. He doesn't. Only you have that power.
I don't know the whole story and no one else here does. You don't have to say any more than the straight facts of what you admitted to the school doing and what the school did about it.
This is not an end to your medical career. You just need to work on not giving power over to someone else.

I had asked my pre-med advisor for a committee letter, and was told that most large universities have no pre-med committee.
Yeah, neither of my undergrad institutions do committee letters. It almost seems like it is a method for the "top" schools to keep poor applicants from applying. I know schools really do this, i.e. Johns Hopkins.

My school does committee letters and most all the public universities in Florida do so as well.

Bump. Will the charges look less severe if I am marry by the time I am apply to medical school. I realize the guy isn't going to take off the charges and no I do not plan to marry a random guy if it looks less 'severe', I am just wondering.

Bump. Will the charges look less severe if I am marry by the time I am apply to medical school. I realize the guy isn't going to take off the charges and no I do not plan to marry a random guy if it looks less 'severe', I am just wondering.

No, changing your name will not help.

Last edited:

Time not marriage will make a difference.

You have to prove you have matured and grown up. Anyone can get married, but graduating, showing you can hold a steady job and be a productive member of society CAN help offset what happened.

I would suggest: Graduate, either work or do a grad program to put some time between the incident and application, then apply and hope for the best.

No. Why do you think marriage will help?

I know. And no, getting married will not help.

If I get a petition to get the violiation off my record do I still have to explain it to on the AMCAS app or should I act like it never happened.

Has no one suggested the caribbean?

I doubt the caribbean would give two craps about it. In their eyes, she is someone with a good GPA who will probably make it through the program and pay them lots of money. They can put her in the bulletin that they send to future students.

OP, the caribbean doesn't care about your past. They'd accept a felon.

I do not want to go to the carribean, if I do not get into an American MD/DO school, I will try to become a CRNA.

I do not want to go to the carribean, if I do not get into an American MD/DO school, I will try to become a CRNA.

Tell me you're being sarcastic so I don't have to facepalm myself off my chair.

Also, I don't know about anyone else...but the fact that the race card AND the woman card was pulled made me take this a lot less seriously. Black, white, Asian, or leprechaun - you F up, you F up. So suck it up and take responsibility. Jeez.

I made an appointment with the dean to try to get the violations off my record .. what should I say?
Also because I am registered with the Office of Student of Disability ( I am registered with the school as someone with a psychiatric disorder).. my ' puishment/treatment' for the charge was mandatated psychotherapy sessions... so I was thinking that I could tell the dean that due to my disability I did not "understand' that the person was not joking and seriously wanted me to stay away, but through counseling I learned when I person wants me and when a person wants to avoid me, ......., and that I should have the charges drop from my record.

I need charges off my record for employment and further schooling....
Also I was pressed with the charges Sept 2011.
Also does she even have the right to charge me since it was due to 'insanity' ... should I call the ADA.

Oh I see this line of reasoning ending ironically tragically.......

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile