Student Code of Conduct Violations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybemed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this kid accused me of

1. Acts of verbal, written (including electronic communications) or physical abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion or other conduct which threaten the health, safety or welfare of any person.
2. Repeated following or contacting of another person to the extent that it places that person in reasonable fear for his physical or emotional welfare.

I had to plee guilty, this is my only violation on my record.

-I have a 3.6 gpa planning to become a 3.7
-Have not taken the mcat
-Was a mentor for Palm Beach County for 3 months, the program I was mentoring in ended.
-Volunteer at a local nursing home since 2009 and I am not planning to apply
until 2013 so that will be 4 yrs of volunteering
Hopefully will be working as a temp lab tech for Manpower( this is a big corporation they have branches all over america)... have an interview on next week.... if I do not get the job on my year off I plan to conduct research.
Will have over 200 hrs of shadowing in various fields... peds, ortho, e.r., endoscopy, internal meds
On my year off I plan to work in healthcare or nonhealthcare job...

--- In my personal statement should I explain this situation and how I learned from it or should I leave it for secondary or my chances doom should I try dental school or should I get a Ph. D

Members don't see this ad.

1. Acts of verbal, written (including electronic communications) or physical abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion or other conduct which threaten the health, safety or welfare of any person.
2. Repeated following or contacting of another person to the extent that it places that person in reasonable fear for his physical or emotional welfare.

-Have not taken the mcat
-Was a mentor for Palm Beach County for 3 months, the program I was mentoring in ended.
Hopefully will be working as a temp lab tech for Manpower( this is a big corporation they have branches all over america)... have an interview on next week.... if I do not get the job on my year off I plan to conduct research.
Will have over 200 hrs of shadowing in various fields... peds, ortho, e.r., endoscopy, internal meds

--- In my personal statement should I explain this situation and how I learned from it or should I leave it for secondary or my chances doom should I try dental school or should I get a Ph. D

That is a huge violation man...

How recent was this? This is as big a red flag as a red flag can get...

This does not bode well for you, and if you decide to apply, I (personally) would address it in my personal statement...

Members don't see this ad :)
You are given other space to explain an Institutional Action. The Personal Statement is not the place to highlight this issue.

Yeahhh that's a deal breaker man. Why did you "have" to plead guilty?

My money is he was told if he plead guilty they would not expel him. He was pretty sure the disciplinary committee would kick him out so he plead to avoid dismissal.

As for the OP, honestly it is time to accept the reality and rethink your future.

I hate to be harsh; but medicine is more competitive every day. Your GPA is average, your EC's are average, and you have a red flag the size of a aircraft carrier on your transcript. And pleading guilty is like flying it in a 40mph wind. The details will never matter; you plead guilty to harassment and stalking.....this is not something you can explain away. In addition, if the other party was an opposite-gender....not even going to go there.

As for other options, I would assume Dental schools are going to have the same issue. Likewise, while you will find some that will not care most Ph.D. programs are not going to ignore that either....

-Have not taken the mcat

Dude why the hell do you think that dental schools or PhD programs are going to turn a blind eye to the fact that you clearly F'd up. Moral standards are the same across different disciplines. :rolleyes:

Its going to make it super hard to get in. I guess it's better than a criminal assault charge.. If it has been a long time your chances might be better and you can explain how you've changed and blah blah blah.

To explain more, I am a girl and the charges were made by a guy. I was talking to him on and off... I do not consider such a bastard to be an ex-boyfriend.

He claim some text messages I sent him were not wanted.

who knows

Last edited:
To explain more, I am a girl and the charges were made by a guy. I was talking to him on and off... I do not consider such a bastard to be an ex-boyfriend.

He claim some text messages I sent him were not wanted.

Why did you plead guilty if that's all the story?

Before you guys go beating her up here are a few things to consider.

The academic conduct violation process is VERY different than criminal complaints. There is very little due process. Where in criminal cases you have to have overwhelming evidence to convict, you only need very little in the academic process. In fact, States are now requiring schools to conduct their own investigations aside from the police and oftentimes the student is found guilty in academia but aquitted in the criminal complaint process. She could have said something very minor or sent something that she thought would be well received, but was taken in a manner that was opposite her intention.

That being said:
I'm sorry OP, it's gonna be extremely difficult to get in with what has happened. You might have meant well, but the wheels of fate have spun against you. If you did get in you probably would have to apply to almost every school possible for several years in a row and hope to get lucky. You might have an easier time Bc your a girl, but I wouldn't count on that. If you were a guy, what you said might have gotten you in bigger trouble with your undergrad school. As long as you didn't threaten this guy or act like a nutcase, he shouldn't have freaked out like he did. Or, he might have been trying to be proactive in protecting himself.

You have to decide if a 1/1000000 chance to get in is worth it. There are other career paths to consider too.

PS- you have my sympathy IF you meant well in this case. Its a treacherous time to be human.

-Have not taken the mcat

You're going to have to choose some other profession. I am 100 % sure that this will be a major red flag to all medical schools even if you're a girl and these accusations were made by a guy (which doesn't change anything).

If you really want to be a doctor contact a lawyer and threaten to sue your school and the student in question if this isn't immediately removed from your record.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question.

As with a things like this on SDN, OP isn't giving the full story.

OP probably pled guilty because there was extensive proof against her and as mentioned before was probably a deal with the school to avoid greater punishment. Regardless OP with this on your record I would say medical school and dental school is probably a long shot as in close to impossible. Best bet is to find a different career.

Exactly my stats are above average.... I am a black female.

What sort of dude wouldnt be all over that attention? :confused:

OP u gotta start rollin with cooler dudes.

What sort of dude wouldnt be all over that attention? :confused:

OP u gotta start rollin with cooler dudes.
Perhaps this post will help you understand...
I can related to gaining weight.... as an undergraduate I got very stress out in the first two years and all I did was eat.... I use to eat M and M while studying..... gained 50 pounds...
Now I realize to eat balance and work out.... I lost weight but not enough still working on it.

That's a little below the belt.

As an aside, I'm gonna ask a really stupid question because I'm ignorant. Why does race and gender determine stats?

BEST ADVICE: CONSULT A LAWYER ON WAYS TO REMOVE THIS.

If it isn't possible, consult your adviser or AdComm faculty mentor.

There's nothing more we can say about this.

Please ignore the *****s being insensitive to your situation.

BEST ADVICE: CONSULT A LAWYER ON WAYS TO REMOVE THIS.

If it isn't possible, consult your adviser or AdComm faculty mentor.

There's nothing more we can say about this.

Please ignore the *****s being insensitive to your situation.

Nobody is a *****. The OP knows the truth and is trying to bend her story to get the answer she wants.

Being black is irrelevant. Being female is irrelevant (other than it raises the bar before you would be charged with harassment). Your stats are NOT excellent and you haven't taken the MCAT.

The point is she plead guilty to harassment and stalking. The time to fight would have been then; you are not going to lawyer-up now and get the school to revisit this issue.

If she is correct and it is anything close to what the OP claims; then I feel bad that she plead guilty rather than fighting as in doing so she pretty much doomed her chances for professional school.

Last edited:
Nobody is a *****. The OP knows the truth and is trying to bend her story to get the answer she wants.

Being black is irrelevant. Being female is irrelevant (other than it raises the bar before you would be charged with harassment). Your stats are NOT excellent and you haven't taken the MCAT.

The point is she plead guilty to harassment and stalking. The time to fight would have been then; you are not going to lawyer-up now and get the school to revisit this issue.

If she is correct and it is anything close to what the OP claims; then I feel bad that she plead guilty rather than fighting as in doing so she pretty much doomed her chances for professional school.

Perfectly said.

I agree. If anything, being black and female would have helped you if you threatened to lawyer up (increased chance for sympathetic jury etc etc), but at this point chances are slim AS IT STANDS. Try and get it expunged/removed is all I can say

Did you even read the posts above or just take what I wrote out of context? Some very insensitive posts.

I totally disagree with your other thread as do others, but to each his own.

However, I DO agree that she should have hired a lawyer then, versus pleading guilty and going back now. I am just providing options.

Outlooks is pessimistic, to say the least. I think we all agree here...

Can't let you in now because you will probably harass patients.

Perfect example is that she starts of by saying that she was 'accused' rather than admitting to any wrong doing. She goes on further to say that she "had to plead guilty." No one even knows what that really means. Just sounds really fishy to me.

I can't begin to imagine what the circumstances were. Personally, as a dude, it would have to be a veerrrry extreme case for me to report a girl for harassment/threatening my own safety. I mean, I've dated some pretty crazy girls but never has the thought of reporting them to authorities entered my mind.

While we're on the subject, I got called in to the Office of Student Conduct for trying to return a cell phone.
My friend and I found an iphone in the library a couple of weeks ago and we tried to return it to the owner but couldn't get in touch with the girl whose phone it was. We eventually go to public safety (same day, later on) to return the phone and it turns out that the girl whose phone it was told them that we stole the phone to begin with.

So, I get an e-mail from the office of student conduct and am being told that I'm being accused of 3 things: theft of property, misconduct, and false information

I go in for the meeting, explain my side of the story and am told that I am guilty of misconduct because I tried to find out whose phone it was instead of going to public safety. The Dean said that he'll think about the theft and false information charges and let me know if it's going to proceed to a higher level (student trial or something) and will let me know within a few days. It's been two weeks and I haven't heard back yet so I don't know what's going to happen.

Question 1) Provided the other two accusations are dropped, how worried should I be about the misconduct mark on my record?
Question 2) If I haven't heard back and it's been two weeks should I be freaking out?
Question 3) If I'm found guilty of attempted theft and false information (highly unlikely since there's witnesses to prove that I was trying to return the damn phone) how worried should I be?

OP, explain the full story, admitting everything you did wrong. We can still help, maybe even tell you to get a lawyer, lie, and get it off your record.

What did you do? Did you get into a fight with this guy? Why did he accuse you of these two things? And why did you plead guilty? Does university allow you to remove things from your record after a certain amount of time? Can you go to the counseling/committee and explain why this was a wrong charge (if it was) and how you want to be a doctor and how this will ruin your future?

You are a woman. Not to sound sexist, but someone would have to have extensive proof to accuse that you did something wrong to a male. Males are much more likely to get in trouble and how this happened the other way around with you is beyond me. You can use this to your advantage.

So tell the full story (I mean everything) and some of us might be able to help you out. If you're honest, you will only get good responses. Right now, it sounds like "I got charged with murder but I seriously didn't do anything wrong".

I was sending unwanted text messages to him only becuase I really thought I he and me were going to get married but guys will do/ say anything to get in your pants....

He has text messages as proof were he told me to leave him alone and I kept on texting him.

Last edited:
I guess that's why there are so few black people in the prison system today. :smuggrin:

As was explained to my by a physician with regard to tort law in malpractice suits, institutions are more likely to settle cases involving black and/or female plaintiffs because they carry higher risk for polarized/sympathetic jury in one form or another. I dont know the statistics on this, it was just straight out of the mouth a physician who consults for a lot of legal cases.

Probably wont help you in criminal law though unless you're O.J.

D.O. school if you get 34+ on mcat

Yes, a 34 on the MCAT will wipe clean repeated verbal threats and harassments at all DO schools.

For a 40 on the MCAT you can get away with statutory rape or drug dealing charges (but not both).

If you happen to score a 45 on the MCAT Osteopathic Schools will overlook treason, attempted murder, and arson charges.

**Note: To get away with actual murder you need to achieve a 45 on the MCAT while maintaining a 4.0 GPA

DO schools will overlook just about anything if the right highly qualified applicant comes along.

While we're on the subject, I got called in to the Office of Student Conduct for trying to return a cell phone.
My friend and I found an iphone in the library a couple of weeks ago and we tried to return it to the owner but couldn't get in touch with the girl whose phone it was. We eventually go to public safety (same day, later on) to return the phone and it turns out that the girl whose phone it was told them that we stole the phone to begin with.

So, I get an e-mail from the office of student conduct and am being told that I'm being accused of 3 things: theft of property, misconduct, and false information

I go in for the meeting, explain my side of the story and am told that I am guilty of misconduct because I tried to find out whose phone it was instead of going to public safety. The Dean said that he'll think about the theft and false information charges and let me know if it's going to proceed to a higher level (student trial or something) and will let me know within a few days. It's been two weeks and I haven't heard back yet so I don't know what's going to happen.

Question 1) Provided the other two accusations are dropped, how worried should I be about the misconduct mark on my record?
Question 2) If I haven't heard back and it's been two weeks should I be freaking out?
Question 3) If I'm found guilty of attempted theft and false information (highly unlikely since there's witnesses to prove that I was trying to return the damn phone) how worried should I be?

Wow, that really really sucks.

I am going to think twice before returning things after this story....lol.

If you are completely serious about medical school and you Dean is threatening you with these charges then I would definitely hire a lawyer right now before the charges are placed. It might cost you a few thousand, but applying to med school has already cost me 8 thousand, so what's a little more debt :oops:.

Keeping this from going on your record will save you soooooo much headache later on during your application.

I already plead guilty now I am trying to get an appointment with her to get the charges removed from my record.

I already plead guilty now I am trying to get an appointment with her to get the charges removed from my record.

Do you understand how that isn't going to work? You plead guilty - you already admitted that you did it. Why would the dean remove it from your record? That makes absolutely no sense.

But hey, if you want to look like a ***** in front of your dean, go for it.

Do you understand how that isn't going to work? You plead guilty - you already admitted that you did it. Why would the dean remove it from your record? That makes absolutely no sense.

But hey, if you want to look like a ***** in front of your dean, go for it.

OP is special

Hire an attorney.

HE ended YOUR life? How about you actually take responsibility for your actions. You are not the victim. You just said yourself that the dude told you he wanted nothing to do with you. You kept going, even stalking.
Time to grow up. You want to be a doctor? What are you gonna do if your patient doesn't want to take his warfarin for fear of going blind. Hold him down and force it down his throat. Then try and blame the lawyers?

Time to grow up. You want to be a doctor? What are you gonna do if your patient doesn't want to take his warfarin for fear of going blind. Hold him down and force it down his throat. Then try and blame the lawyers?

And when he says "No Pain Pills For You" or "Finish Your Antibiotics", you better believe he means business. Personalized medicine at its best. ;)

I was sending unwanted text messages to him only becuase I really thought I he and me were going to get married but guys will do/ say anything to get in your pants....

He has text messages as proof were he told me to leave him alone and I kept on texting him.
I still feel like you're leaving something out. Sending some text messages isn't going to get you charged with honor violations unless there was a very long pattern here or there were some pretty nasty things in the text messages. Or you're leaving out something pretty significant.

I guess you can say he ended my life
Or maybe you got yourself into this situation.

To those with an institutional action related to a student conduct violation, on the AMCAS you get the opportunity to tell the story from your point of view. Be truthful but give the committee your perspective:

e.g. A man and I were intimate friends and I hoped to marry him. After he said he didn't want to hear from me again and I continued to text him __ times over the course of __ hours. I was accused of a violation of the student conduct code for attempting to contact him after he dumped me, I admitted that I had committed a violation and was required to ___.

A friend and I found a cell phone in the library and after attempting to find the owner, we took the phone to campus security. We were accused of violations of the student code for attempting to find the owner rather than delivering the lost item directly to campus security. The violation resulted in ---[describe punishment whether it was a letter in your file or the requirement that you do something.]

Don't use the words "charged" or "plead" or "guilty" unless you are talking about the legal system.

I guess you can say he ended my life

This level of co-dependency and instability is why you are NOT ready to be a physician.

I honestly think wait 5-10 years; get your life together and then come back to this dream if it is still there.

You will be able to rightly argue you were young & immature and did some stupid **** and that you have grown up and this whole thing becomes a footnote; not a headline.

:smack::smack::smack::smack:

:smack: This explains everything.