Student Dependent State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paratroxal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

This is my first post on SDN, glad to be part of the community :)

Here is my issue and I hope you guys could help. I am an American born guy, who studies in Canada. My father lives and works in Illinois. My name is in his tax returns as a dependent, so I'm wondering if I could be eligible to be a in-state applicant to the Illinois med schools. If so how and where do I say on my AMCAS application that i am a student dependent resident?

Don't I need to provide proof?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

probably a driver license, states love it when you have one

i asked some Illinois schools, and they said that if my father is a legal resident, and i'm a dependent im good to go, but where do I show the proof that I should be considered a dependent on my application? since im living in Canada and all i should be putting my Canadian address.

Thanks for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary application asks for your permanent address and legal residence, as well as your preferred mailing address.

So even I should put my Canadian Address as the permanent address and Illinois as the legal residence? Where would I need to prove the student dependency via my father's tax returns, because I think schools will need proof if my address isn't an Illinois one.

Thanks for your reply Kami333

Is your permanent address in Canada? Even after graduation and well into summer of 2013?? Frankly, I think that your permanent address should be listed as being in IL. You can list a preferred address in Canada for your mail although most schools use email most of the time. Also, IIRC there is a field for "state of residence" on the application. The application also asks for each parent's state and county (not country, county)

Your citizenship and place of birth is also on the application so it should be obvious that you are a US citizen. The rubber meets the road when you submit your financial info including your dad's tax return.

For in-state schools, their documentation requirements vary. Usually, a birth certificate, a driver's license, and a couple of utility bills can prove that you're a resident of the state.

That is for independent resident if I'm not mistaken, my situation is different. I don't physically live in the state of Illinois, but by being a student dependent on my father who is a legal resident, I am able to attain the status of resident through him for school.

That's where my name on his tax returns come in

For in-state schools, their documentation requirements vary. Usually, a birth certificate, a driver's license, and a couple of utility bills can prove that you're a resident of the state.

Doesn't that come after one has been admitted? Or is it submitted with the secondary?

For some schools(UVa comes to mind) you have to submit residency documents at the time of your secondary if you claim state residency in order to be considered instate for an interview. For other schools(UCSD definitely & maybe Baylor?) you need to fill out residency forms after being offered an interview.

For some schools(UVa comes to mind) you have to submit residency documents at the time of your secondary if you claim state residency in order to be considered instate for an interview. For other schools(UCSD definitely & maybe Baylor?) you need to fill out residency forms after being offered an interview.

Thanks for the info!