Student don't read text = course not hard enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I know everyone has one and they stink....,yes I know. However this is not really an excuse, rather a legitimate reason. Not everyone has one.

Why make a stupid thread then try to defend yourself?
Just don't make threads like this and expect people to give you kind words.

Maybe he's just smarter than you. Maybe you will swtich your study habit and see improvements.

Members don't see this ad.

Why make a stupid thread then try to defend yourself?
Just don't make threads like this and expect people to give you kind words.

Maybe he's just smarter than you. Maybe you will swtich your study habit and see improvements.

I dont understand why is has to be considered a stupid thread??? And why is everyone saying oh.. well maybe he's better at you at this and that, maybe he is smarter than you

You guys should analyze the situation a little better. I never said he was crushing me or any of the others who contribute to the pot. I stated that I understand the concepts behind the math much BETTER than he does. Anyone can stare at the solutions to problems and do well on similar problems on the exam He's not beating me by much, on the last test I got a 98, he got a 103. He has beat me on the last 3 by an average of 4.3 points. I beat the whole class on the very first one. Overall I am the better student in the long run.

Just a while ago another student who has trouble with natural logs for what ever reason, asked him to help her with integrated rate laws. He knew the steps, however did not realize exactly what the significance of integration versus the normal. No one can honestly think this kind of learning is efficient, nor can they blame me for my curiosity leading to this thread.

He's not beating me by much, on the last test I got a 98, he got a 103. He has beat me on the last 3 by an average of 4.3 points.

Then why do you care? Did your prof not give you a sticker?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont understand why is has to be considered a stupid thread??? And why is everyone saying oh.. well maybe he's better at you at this and that, maybe he is smarter than you

You guys should analyze the situation a little better. I never said he was crushing me or any of the others who contribute to the pot. I stated that I understand the concepts behind the math much BETTER than he does. Anyone can stare at the solutions to problems and do well on similar problems on the exam He's not beating me by much, on the last test I got a 98, he got a 103. He has beat me on the last 3 by an average of 4.3 points. I beat the whole class on the very first one. Overall I am the better student in the long run.

Just a while ago another student who has trouble with natural logs for what ever reason, asked him to help her with integrated rate laws. He knew the steps, however did not realize exactly what the significance of integration versus the normal. No one can honestly think this kind of learning is efficient, nor can they blame me for my curiosity leading to this thread.

Wow, you sound very insecure. My only advice is study with the method that works best for you, and don't care about what others are doing/getting. Just worry about your own test and your own methods.

Because loosing is loosing

And you are also losing at English too. The angst you must feel. :(

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the proper kind of A+ on future exams without the biting sting of defeat.

I think this situation translates very well into a future career in medicine. Take the following situation, for example.

Avid smoker and chronic alcoholic. Obese as well. Has a major family history of CAD. No matter how much patient counseling you do on the risk factors of CAD, he won't give up his lifestyle. You are almost positive he will have a major cardiac event soon, but he just laughs and keeps on moving with his life. How do you respond? He is, for all apparent reasons, losing. You can't control people and how they approach life. All you can do is educate, offer support, and move on if it is refused.

Stop worrying about him. This type of thinking will get you no where but in a psychiatrist's office looking for a Xanex prescription. Trust me, I've been there.

Because loosing is loosing

lol, you are a funny dude.

I'm sure if you study that way, you'll have retained more information by the time you're in med school..which is good considering step 1 is all about retaining a large volume of information.

Dont' think you are losing because you scored a few points lower in an undergrad exam. If it was MCAT or step I, then it would be a different story.

Textbooks might be the largest scam in history lol.

The way I see it, a decent professor will cover all the material for the test during class. The textbook is good for practice problems, that's about it.

Sigh, more evidence to suggest that I am the only person in the history of the planet that actually likes text books and will even bother reading them.

The fact that you are getting 98s on exams and are wondering what is wrong with you because a classmate is scoring higher makes you seem a little silly and immature. I would say the only thing that is wrong with you is that you spend too much time calculating the average points that he his scoring higher than you rather than doing things that matter in life.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ugh. I hope you grow up before applying to med school.

Why did you even start this thread if you obviously just want people to tell you that your better than your friend? and now that people don't feel that way your telling them that they are wrong... maybe YOU are the one who needs to "analyze" the situation better

Sigh, more evidence to suggest that I am the only person in the history of the planet that actually likes text books and will even bother reading them.
I like textbooks :)

As far as this thread goes, I'd encourage people to look at the big picture. A few more points on a test that in no way alters your grade is not worth mulling over. Frankly, the goal for preparation of exams should be to obtain a grade comfortably. Vast quantities of additional effort to grab a few points that have effect on your grade should be avoided in favor of distributing that time to other activities. If you received an A, it means that you have mastered the material. Those few extra point don't necessarily correspond to superior mastery, especially in the long run. So why worry about them or those who get them?

Why did you even start this thread if you obviously just want people to tell you that your better than your friend? and now that people don't feel that way your telling them that they are wrong... maybe YOU are the one who needs to "analyze" the situation better

Yes....Maybe. I guess I just work so hard and want to be the best so bad. I was just looking for others to strengthen my own opinion. A conformation bias if you will. I've taken a lot away form these posts. Perhaps I should stop betting money on individual tests, and bet money on the MCAT instead.........just kidding. I think

All fun and competition until someone looses. What a sore looser....

Nah, this guy is surely just a poor loser. He needs to loosen up. If anything, he needs to be more of a "looser."

OP, what people have said here is the hard truth. Yeah, your roommate is smarter than you. Yeah, he's better at academics and, by the sound of things, life as well. Let the extreme focus on knowing everything go. Do your best. Enjoy life. Don't worry about a few points. Your roommate gets 100+ on assignments with no effort. No need to try to tear him down. Let it go, dude. Move on. Have fun. Enjoy college. Get out more. Grab a beer with your roomie. Limit your studying to how much he does and grab some beers at the pub tonight.

Textbooks can be helpful but save a few bucks and just borrow them from the library for a half hr the day before the test to skim over a few chapters and make sure you didn't miss anything. Go to class and let that be most of your studying. Enjoy life a bit. It's the last time you'll have so much free time because you're hoping to go into medicine. (Right?!) Enjoy the fact that you really only have some 20-25 hours or so of real work to do each week (assuming you're taking a full load of 18 credits or so). The rest of your time is spent on what you want to do. (E.g., hobbies, serving the community in ways that fit your interests and passions, church, research in whatever area interests you, life....) Develop passions now and do them. Let other people focus on academics. As long as you are getting mostly As (i.e., you have a 3.7+), enjoy life.

In the words of the CU Denver SOM Dean of Admissions, "Don't just be a great Doctor. Be a great person." Be real. Don't just be an "academic all-star."

Seems like OP just created a thread to garner sympathy, didn't get the responses he wanted/expected, and now he's having a hissy fit.

Grow up man, come on.

Your attempted rationalization of this is hilarious. Best thread I've ever read.

You sound insecure and immature. Work on that, don't want that to happen during interviews.

Yes....Maybe. I guess I just work so hard and want to be the best so bad. I was just looking for others to strengthen my own opinion. A conformation bias if you will. I've taken a lot away form these posts. Perhaps I should stop betting money on individual tests, and bet money on the MCAT instead.........just kidding. I think
Dude, you are going to be absolutely miserable in med school.

I know we've kinda gotten past the whole, textbook vs lecture notes, but i wanted to chime in. I read the text book exclusively for bio classes. Chem/orgo/physics classes I need professors to walk through the steps, so I don't read the textbook much for that, but for bio i'll read it 2-3 times or until I understand it well enough. yes, I learn a lot of things that I don't need to. The result though, is that I know farfar more than I need to for that specific test. I've never not gotten an A when i've studied like this.

My point is, do what works for you, everyone absorbs material differently.

The way I see it, a decent professor will cover all the material for the test during class. The textbook is good for practice problems, that's about it.

Yea, I stopped buying expensive books ($100+) for classes and am still doing good. I just do the hw with friends/use library book.
With the internet, every question can be answered in reasonable time.
As for the op, what's the point of being #1 if you're miserable studying

Last edited:
You should be able to distinguish what you need to study from what you don't. You shouldn't be trying to comprehend each and every word in every chapter. Instead of wasting time doing that you could be doing practice problems. You should still be able to understand the concepts and apply what you learn.