Student entitlement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the second bolded point, and related to the first, I would say yes, anyone (younger, older, whoever) who can't be on campus for the "appropriate" amount of time likely should not be participating in (traditional) graduate education. It says nothing about their potential as a student and/or future clinician/researcher; rather, it's a matter of being able to complete the requisite training to gain at least the minimal levels of professional competence. In my mind at least, the fairest solution is (as Pragma has done) to apply the same standards to all students. Developing individualized expectations for each student based on life circumstances, while perhaps an admirable goal, is too onerous a task for any one instructor.

Well said, with a small objection to the idea of individualizing expectations for each student. I do not believe this should be done at the classroom level (for numerous reasons with feasibility being high on the list), though at the program level and with a mentor's support I think it is more realistic and useful.

Over the past 5-10 years it feels like graduate education has become an entitlement in the eyes of many people. Just because a student wants to be a doctor/lawyer/etc. does not mean that the world must bend to their want, particularly if they are unable and/or unwilling to pursue the training as designed. This theme pops up frequently when online education is mentioned, though it is often framed in terms of "fairness" and feeds on the "same but different/better" assertion. At the end of the day, the requirements of training are in place to ensure a minimum level of competence balanced against time/money/resources. I'll be the first to admit that it isn't a perfect system, but it is the best solution we have found to try and produce competent and capable professionals. If I had my druthers I'd significantly raise the current standards and shrink the pool of students by at least 40-50%, in an effort to raise the standards of training and competency.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be the first to admit that it isn't a perfect system, but it is the best solution we have found to try and produce competent and capable professionals. If I had my druthers I'd significantly raise the current standards and shrink the pool of students by at least 40-50%, in an effort to raise the standards of training and competency.

Yeah, education at the end of the day is basically a business. When the number of institutions was smaller, you could be selective and make money. Now there are more and more programs popping up to cut into the market, and also have created a market to make money on people who probably wouldn't have met the standards at most places.

I don't think there is any correlation between the age of students and their capability of meeting minimal standards. In some cases, older students are better IMO because they have really great experiences to draw from.

But the entitlement within the education system I think is at least partially related to the market trends (i.e., more programs opening up, lower standards). Students have more options, many of which are convenient options (even if they are offered at the expense of optimal training).

There are times when I have to sit back and reflect - some things I have heard students say I could NEVER imagine ever having said in my educational settings. Where I went to school, you did the work and you didn't complain or try to get special treatment.

Developing individualized expectations for each student based on life circumstances, while perhaps an admirable goal, is too onerous a task for any one instructor.

I actually don't believe in individualized expectations for different reasons. If it were a good way to train people, I think it would be worth more work.

But we're talking about graduate school here. There ought to be a minimal standard that students are held accountable to. This is important for a) fairness between students, b) accountability to accreditation/higher education bodies, c) accountability to the public, who will encounter our graduates after they finish the program, etc...

I've always believed that you can teach a course in a lot of ways. But you can't ever be inconsistent in how you evaluate students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually don't believe in individualized expectations for different reasons. If it were a good way to train people, I think it would be worth more work.

But we're talking about graduate school here. There ought to be a minimal standard that students are held accountable to. This is important for a) fairness between students, b) accountability to accreditation/higher education bodies, c) accountability to the public, who will encounter our graduates after they finish the program, etc...

I've always believed that you can teach a course in a lot of ways. But you can't ever be inconsistent in how you evaluate students.

I actually agree with you and T4C. But I'd mentioned that individualized expectations could be an admirable goal simply because I honestly hadn't put enough thought into figuring out ways in which it might not only be tenable, but actually advantageous. Thus, I couldn't have definitively said that it wouldn't be something for which to aim.

I think it's interesting that all replies to my post have suggested that if one can't invest the appropriate time, then one doesn't belong in a graduate program.

I wonder how women felt about that suggestion in 1950. For that matter, I wonder how any parent, or working student feels about that suggestion.

Part of the problem here is that everyone seems to make the assumption that the educational system cannot be changed. That it is, by design, fair and modeled to create the possibility of success for all applicants.

In what way could it be said that higher education in general selects those who have the resources to invest, rather than the resourcefulness to succeed?

I think it's interesting that all replies to my post have suggested that if one can't invest the appropriate time, then one doesn't belong in a graduate program.

I wonder how women felt about that suggestion in 1950. For that matter, I wonder how any parent, or working student feels about that suggestion.

Part of the problem here is that everyone seems to make the assumption that the educational system cannot be changed. That it is, by design, fair and modeled to create the possibility of success for all applicants.

In what way could it be said that higher education in general selects those who have the resources to invest, rather than the resourcefulness to succeed?

Essentially by definition, being able to invest the "appropriate time" is a necessary component of graduate training in psychology. Looking at your examples, a working student still invests as much on-campus and off-campus time as is necessary to pass their classes and fulfill their school-related responsibilities; they don't receive special accommodations or separate standards in that sense. Rather, they find a way to make the existing educational opportunities and system fit into their schedule.

Also, I don't think anyone here has said that the educational system can't be changed. However, what many have said is that if change occurs, the new system(s) need to be shown to be equivalent to existing systems before they'll be accepted, and rightfully so.

Online classes, for example, have obviously gained quite a bit of traction at the undergraduate level. Doctoral education in psychology, on the other hand, is a fairly special and unique undertaking that, up to this point, has required a large in-person and on-campus component in order to ensure appropriate training. At least until now, there isn't anything I've seen that compares to spending time working with patients and participating in collaborative research in person and while consistently being around other students and supervisors.

Just like with everything else (raising kids, holding a job, etc), school (and specifically graduate school) is a commitment. Simple as that. If you cannot honor that commitment, you shouldn't make it. I operate under the assumption that individuals who sign up for a class or enroll in a program, are aware of what it entails. But just to be sure, teachers usually lay it out in very much detail for them in a syllabus. Having children is a commitment to take care of their needs for at least 18 years, no matter what (not just when you have enough time). No toddler (or sometimes even teenager) will have any compassion for you if you've had a touch day at work, are tired and have to write a 10 page paper. When you accept employment, you commit to fulfill all your duties, otherwise you won't have that job for very long. You're employer doesn't care about these things, either. I don't see why education is any different?

No doubt, wearing multiple hats and having more commitments than the average 18-year college student sucks at times, and yet I fail to see how anybody who wants to get an actual education (as opposed to just the degree) would no agree that you need to invest the appropriate time in order to advance your knowledge (I'm kinda having a duh! moment here).

How is it unfair to have the same expectations of all your students in a classroom? Furthermore, I don't think it's the educational system's responsibility to make sure that you can honor your commitments. Once you've enrolled in a program and signed up for the class, you've already indicated that you're okay with the rules.

Earlier you, you mentioned the following;

Specifically, I'm referring to your suggestion that full coursework should not be attempted if one can't invest the requisite time. However, that is the ONLY way most non-traditional students can afford a continuing education. Most financial aid is only available to full-time students. For non-traditional students, this means working close to full-time, attending classes full-time, and parenting full-time. There is very little leeway in what amounts to a very small window of opportunity.

I agree that this is a problem - it makes things much more difficult for people in the situation you described and I believe that something should be done about this. However, this doesn't have anything to do with the educational system. I still don't think that the actual conditions under which you receive your education should be different in any way from the education that your average worry-free 18yo college student receives. It would be unfair and most likely devalue the degree of those who are able to honor their commitment.

I'm unclear about your comment on women in 1950? Are you saying they were able to join the workforce due to having different (lower) standards or special treatment? I would argue the opposite was (and many times still is) true. They worked harder at their chosen profession in order to be given the same respect and acknowledgment. They made more sacrifices. The didn't ask the world to conform to them. Quite simply, it wouldn't.

Life is a balancing act. My friends and I were all traditional grad students. (not that we are only talking about family here, but the example fits). We all made the choice to delay starting a family until after our degrees. Did we like that? No. Did we sometimes feel resentful? Yes. But it was what it was. We knew we couldn't give either activity enough of our time if we tried both, so we chose to balance things out by waiting. Some people have different personalities and could make a different choice. We knew this was a good way for us to balance things. Just in the same way as someone who has kids might need to wait until they are out on their own to start school. I knew woman who was a physician with three kids. Her 3rd child had health issues and so she eventually decided to stop practicing. She once said, "You can have it all, but not all at the same time." That makes so much sense to me.

If someone cannot commit 50-60 hrs per week to grad school, then it isn't the right time in their life for it. I'd love to go back and become a NP. Now isn't a good time due to family commitments. I am going to wait until that changes.

Dr. E

Last edited:
I wanted to address several ideas that were discussed, but in no way do I suggest, through quotation that any post was more or less indicative of any particular point. I merely used the quoted sections as a jumping off point for discussion. Please don't feel selected or left out. That wasn't my intention, rather my intent was to more fully explore the issue, and offer my own suggestions.

Well said, with a small objection to the idea of individualizing expectations for each student. I do not believe this should be done at the classroom level (for numerous reasons with feasibility being high on the list), though at the program level and with a mentor's support I think it is more realistic and useful.

This is done at the classroom level. That's what grades are, basically. And the mentor system does act in this way, and I do appreciate that. It is valuable, but I don't think it goes far enough.

It wasn't my intention to suggest that work shouldn't be kept to a specific schedule. It's true of any job that on time is the right time, and before time is better. However, what I take issue with is the amount of time necessary on site on a day to day basis. A non-trad cannot compete with a 22 year old in this area no matter how well one manages their time. When children are added, it becomes more than merely comical, but tragic. This should be obvious from undergrad study.

When we're talking about 12 hour days, 5-6 days per week, I think we're talking about more than what is appropriate for any individual. Such is beyond the reasonable expectations of any job or training curriculum. If it were a job, it simply wouldn't be legal. How is education somehow different? Because it's contractual? Or merely because it's an inappropriate measure of competition that is essentially unethical?

I've spent a long time in the working world, and while the suggestion of any job is to fulfill one's duties, there are also levels of redundancy added to any system to insure appropriate production is achieved. If not, failure is inevitable, and often with dramatic consequences. Suggesting that a single student comprises a full and functional system is silly considering the field of study we're talking about. This sounds much more like saying that the outliers in the system don't fail, so why should we change it?

Meaning that if we know a person performs best with x amount of sleep, self-care, study time, etc., why design a system that is at odds with optimum, or even reasonable performance? In Psychology?

If we're talking about a minimum set of standards, in what way would a Maslow been precluded from making a substantial contribution? What if Maslow had in fact been a single parent? A C student and a whiny, entitled incorrigible?

Online classes, for example, have obviously gained quite a bit of traction at the undergraduate level. Doctoral education in psychology, on the other hand, is a fairly special and unique undertaking that, up to this point, has required a large in-person and on-campus component in order to ensure appropriate training. At least until now, there isn't anything I've seen that compares to spending time working with patients and participating in collaborative research in person and while consistently being around other students and supervisors.

Personally, although this is just a personal opinion, I don't think online classes teach much at all. I don't think they're an effective means for any degree, precisely because of the points you've made. They are not a silver bullet to rely on to fix the education system by any means. For that matter, I don't think technology will ever surpass the classroom, or the lab. However, that doesn't negate the argument that the amount of time required is itself exclusionary.

The current system supports the ideal that psychologists only work during the day. Is this necessarily true? No. Why should professors be any different? And, for that matter, why should 12 hour days be the standard by which both students and Professors are judged? This, if we really look at it, is a holdover from an anachronistic ideal of the professional class that doesn't fit modern times or modern lives at all.

This is true of any market. As consumers change, so must providers. It's precisely because graduate education does not have broad competition that it has not changed already. Some graduate programs have, in fact, changed to better serve the market. Some of that change, notably online classes, has been significantly detrimental. Some has not.

I agree that this is a problem - it makes things much more difficult for people in the situation you described and I believe that something should be done about this. However, this doesn't have anything to do with the educational system. I still don't think that the actual conditions under which you receive your education should be different in any way from the education that your average worry-free 18yo college student receives. It would be unfair and most likely devalue the degree of those who are able to honor their commitment

The suggestion, in this day and age, that finance has nothing to do with education is ludicrous. An increase of over 1200% in the last 20 years in tuition, and an over 800% increase in books is not only substantial, it determines one's choices particularly when the majority of that cost is fulfilled in loans that must be repaid. It is intrinsically a part of the educational system. Saying it isn't is denying the bursar's office. One doesn't deny the authority of the bursar's office.

And so, another deterrent, or rather a financial exclusion. The wealthy, or the young and credit-worthy, are the only populations deserving of an education. How is that different from an aristocracy? Doesn't that merely avoid the question of equality by predetermining outcomes? Only the outliers in the system prevail, and increasingly so as incomes have grown less and less equal.

In what way would an extension in time spent in a graduate program reduce the value, or efficacy of a program? If what we know about virtuosity is true, that it takes approximately 10 years of persistent practice to attain, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Essentially by definition, being able to invest the "appropriate time" is a necessary component of graduate training in psychology. Looking at your examples, a working student still invests as much on-campus and off-campus time as is necessary to pass their classes and fulfill their school-related responsibilities; they don't receive special accommodations or separate standards in that sense. Rather, they find a way to make the existing educational opportunities and system fit into their schedule.

If the above were true, night classes would not exist in any graduate program or any degree program at all. The fact they do exist means that market was willing to become more flexible. Why not psychology? Or is psych an area where flexibility isn't both necessary and desirable?

The appropriate amount of time spent in each area of study and practice can be better suited to modern student's lives. The reason it's not is quite probably bureaucratic. No offense intended.

Time in reading, time in thinking, time in synthesis, all these are immensely important, certainly. However, by emphasizing production diversity is lost, and I don't mean just physical. A diversity of ideas is lost. The Maslows of tomorrow are lost. It is precisely this diversity that is cut away when a system becomes inflexible.

I don't see why 10 years on just a Ph.D. isn't out of the question considering the amount of information that must be processed to get to the forefront of modern research. But I don't think 12 hour days are necessary, or even indicated. I think, and this is just my opinion, such a system produces more look-a-like research that's simply the same ideas getting transmitted back and forth, over and over until someone either makes dramatic changes or has a divine inspiration. Not all great ideas come from a lone guy in Moravia poring over the same plant for 12 years with only his peas to talk to.

We know that mixing teams, and adequate downtime are necessary to produce a diversity of quality synthesis. So, why not here? Why are we stuck on the "all day or you don't play" system? To benefit students or haze them? How does what any one person went through to attain their degree define the process for anyone else?

I wanted to address one more point, and that was a broader freedom in overall degree design. While it's true that before one knows what one doesn't know, one doesn't know what to study, that doesn't necessarily mean that more freedom in a specialization path is automatically suspect. I think we need more specialization within graduate studies in psych. Let the MA and PsyD focus on counseling. The trend is moving there anyway. Psych, however, has grown to encompass not enough of the right things, namely neuroscience, and some of the wrong things, namely antiquated theory. Focus on maths is necessary for research, but is it necessary for counselors or educators?

The current system of specialization of selecting a specialized mentor doesn't do enough to broaden the scope of psych in general and discourages original theory and research. It is a disservice to students to define what one wants to study by who they study with and all the personality drama that goes with it. No offense to any particulars intended, or implied. Merely the suggestion that even great men and women are still human and suffer the same vices and bias that everyone else does.

By offering more freedom to self-select and autodidact we fertilize genuinely original and valuable ideas. In this I think the business model has, and is, killing education. An ends-obsessed process is stifling the very nature of science in general and encourages abuse.

However, what I take issue with is the amount of time necessary on site on a day to day basis. A non-trad cannot compete with a 22 year old in this area no matter how well one manages their time. When children are added, it becomes more than merely comical, but tragic. This should be obvious from undergrad study.

I know a LOT of people in my program who have kids and they do just fine, sometimes better than their childless classmates. In fact, I know someone with several children who just matched to a very competitive internship during their fourth year on their first try.

We know that mixing teams, and adequate downtime are necessary to produce a diversity of quality synthesis. So, why not here? Why are we stuck on the "all day or you don't play" system? To benefit students or haze them? How does what any one person went through to attain their degree define the process for anyone else?

Because there's that much work to do. Please explain to me how you can keep training sufficiently rigorous when you have to conduct research, complete a 15-20 hr/wk practicum, see clients at the department clinic, complete paperwork/reports for said clients, attend various supervision meetings, and attend classes every week. How can that be done on a part-time basis?

I wanted to address one more point, and that was a broader freedom in overall degree design. While it's true that before one knows what one doesn't know, one doesn't know what to study, that doesn't necessarily mean that more freedom in a specialization path is automatically suspect. I think we need more specialization within graduate studies in psych. Let the MA and PsyD focus on counseling. The trend is moving there anyway. Psych, however, has grown to encompass not enough of the right things, namely neuroscience, and some of the wrong things, namely antiquated theory. Focus on maths is necessary for research, but is it necessary for counselors or educators?

We've talked about this a lot on this board. Understanding research and stats is critical for clinicians because it helps them be critical consumers of outcomes research for treatment. It also provides a very strong foundation for assessment (assessment is very, very steeped in research and statistical concepts).

Last edited:
When we're talking about 12 hour days, 5-6 days per week, I think we're talking about more than what is appropriate for any individual. Such is beyond the reasonable expectations of any job or training curriculum. If it were a job, it simply wouldn't be legal. How is education somehow different? Because it's contractual? Or merely because it's an inappropriate measure of competition that is essentially unethical?

Where do you live that 60-80 hour work weeks are illegal?

Focus on maths is necessary for research, but is it necessary for counselors or educators?

Yes. The ability to understand research and not to just read the discussion/conclusions section is vital to being an ethical counselor and producing and supervising that research is the duty of educators.

Where do you live that 60-80 hour work weeks are illegal?

Perhaps they do not know any lawyers, doctors, ad execs, traders, athletic coaches, etc...:rolleyes:

My mother is a realtor and often works 60. Best friend is an corporate account/finance and also puts in VERY long hours .

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
And...

"Focus on math"?! What is is this, high school? Is that really what you think scientific training is..."focusing on math"? Dumb post.

I wanted to address several ideas that were discussed...When we're talking about 12 hour days, 5-6 days per week, I think we're talking about more than what is appropriate for any individual. Such is beyond the reasonable expectations of any job or training curriculum. If it were a job, it simply wouldn't be legal. How is education somehow different? Because it's contractual? Or merely because it's an inappropriate measure of competition that is essentially unethical? ...

I appreciate the thoroughness of your post, and the points made therein; I've simply quoted the above to address the bolded portion in particular. I might've missed something, but I'm not sure where the magical 12-hour number came from or why it's been singled out as the marker of the expected time commitment...?

I can say that I personally never consistently spent 12 hours on campus 5-6 days per week. What I do think is a reasonable expectation, though, is that a student devote as much in-person/on-campus time as would be seen in a standard full-time job (i.e., 40 hours/week). That's not to say you won't also then be doing work at home and likely pulling the more-than-infrequent all-nighter, but I at least in my experiences, spending 60-80 hours per week physically on campus was never explicitly or implicitly demanded. Rather, that's just the amount of time we typically spent working on training-related activities, which included a fair bit of studying, writing, and reviewing at coffee shops, friend's places, and home.

Also, I agree with the others--I've never come across a situation where a 60-80 hour work week was illegal. It just so happens that when it comes to psych doctoral study, that tends to be the amount of time needed (again, as a mix of on- and off-campus) to get your work done. Thus, I personally don't find it to be inappropriate.

"Focus on math"?! What is is this, high school? Is that really what you think scientific training is..."focusing on math"? Dumb post.

That was a really silly thing to include, but I wouldn't exactly call the post in its entirety "dumb." It was written fairly well and in many cases the poster supported their arguments while making some decent points about a system that they feel is damaged.

This line and the line about expanding the scope of psychology bothered me a little. I mean, should we start branding physics programs as psychology? How about dance? The Psychology of Underwater Basket Weaving?

While we should look at the work of other fields to enhance our own (and I swear economists will never learn this lesson), it's not necessary to expand the scope of study to consume those areas.

I appreciate beingintherapy's thoughtful post, even if I do disagree with them in a few respects.

Aside from echoing some of the points that have been made, I also think it is important to consider different types of educational programs. In my experience, I haven't really seen obvious entitlement at the doctoral level - and a lot of my contemporaries in school were much older. No one could work full time and attend a doctoral program - and I don't think that should be allowed. If you want a quality doctoral education, then you need to do it full time. If you need to keep your hours reasonable (e.g., 40 hour weeks), then you accomplish that by taking a longer time to graduate. Pretty simple, really. There are people that hit the 12-14 hour days like myself to get done in 5 years, and there are some that had kids and took 7 instead. I think Dr. E's point is important - we make conscious choices when it comes to how to balance our time. My wife and I completely delayed our goals of having children because of the time and financial limitations of my graduate program. That was a huge sacrifice. Had we had children - I would have had to approach training, where we lived, etc. in a different way. I would have lived in a less expensive area, worked fewer hours, and taken longer to finish. I know people that had children in graduate school, and that is what they had to do. I didn't really see any complaining about that - it's how doctoral education is.

What I have observed with entitlement has been in our masters programs. I think it is pretty common for students (of all ages) to be working full time during these programs, and I really don't see a problem with that as long as they have appropriately looked at how to manage their time. I think some of these students end up biting off more than they can chew, or view their involvement as a transaction and think that they ought to be guaranteed a good grade.

I appreciate several of your replies, but I also see several straw men among them. Yes, there is a difference between multivariate design and analysis, and consuming research. Between obvious nonsense, and a subspecialty.

If you want to argue the point, then argue the point, and not suggest an obvious false dichotomy.

I will grant, however, that I was speaking of hourly workers in my remarks, and did not define the object as such. Lazy on my part, I agree. Nevertheless, the "suck it up, I did it," answer, still won't suffice. If 12 hours isn't a decent average, suggest one so we can argue the points.

I used available information to define a reasonable average, found here. Is that out of line?

I'm sorry, but the discussion around equality of opportunity won't go away. Significant losses are incurred through lost time and inappropriate competition. Every argument I'd heard against open admissions, I heard again here. CUNY did it, despite those arguments, and it yes, it presented problems. But it also added a necessary, and valuable diversity to the student body.

I've met several who never would have attended college, much less grad school without that policy. All are smart, productive people who were worth the effort. I don't particularly include myself, but if we're going, then fine. Let's go.

I work hard. I produced 3 different papers during my last writing assignment. One for me, one to present to the class, and one to my Professor, each tailored to its audience. I earned every grade, even the bad ones. I don't ask for favors, but I do ask for a level playing field wherein I can actually win. In case the residents here have forgotten, a rigged game produces precisely the kind of attitudes we've all seen in this thread so far.

But how is that fair to "traditional" students if non-traditional students get opportunities that they don't, just because they have children?

As others have said, you work a lot of hours but most of them aren't actually on-campus. And as you go through graduate school, I find that the hours get better because they're more flexible.

How is the game rigged if it is the same for everyone? I guess I'm trying to tease apart the issues you are presenting to some extent.

Speaking just specifically about PhD programs in psychology, they are extremely competitive to get into in the first place (as they should be). I can't imagine someone being able to train only part time and get a quality education. Also - and perhaps my attitude is based on my experiences - nontraditional students aren't exactly rare these days. My program accepted a lot of them - maybe as many as 1/3 of all students across the cohorts I was around. They all did fine - I'm still friends with many of them, in fact. The ones I know the best were career changers. Several of them had put a lot of money away already in their prior careers, so they weren't as strapped for cash as the rest of us. Some of them did take longer to finish, especially the 40-50 somethings with kids. But that was the same as the 20-somethings who chose to have kids, or the people who didn't have kids but just didn't want to burn the candle at both ends. I've seen people work 8-9 hour days and people work 14 hour days - it was usually a matter of life choices and goals for when people wanted to complete the program.

So perhaps because I have seen it accomplished, and accomplished quite well among older students already, I guess I don't see where the problem is. But I also wasn't really thinking about doctoral students much in my original post. In my experience, students who get accepted into PhD programs are the cream of the crop and get their work done. They might complain, but I haven't seen what I would describe as "entitled."

Last edited:
The game being "rigged" is a ridiculous assertion. The rules are the same for everybody. I've been involved in several training programs in some capacity or another. And those programs have had students ranging from 21-40s. Some were married, some had kids, some were switching careers after 5-10 years in another field. The same thing was expected of all of them. And they all managed those expectations just fine.

There are standards of training to ensure competent practice. If you can't make them, maybe this isn't the career field for you. Accommodations should not be made in certain circumstances.

Meaning that if we know a person performs best with x amount of sleep, self-care, study time, etc., why design a system that is at odds with optimum, or even reasonable performance? In Psychology? .

I guess this is where the disagreement is for part of what you are talking about. It is true that doctoral programs can be grueling, but I've watched plenty of people make the decision to take more time to complete the program. To some extent, it also depends on your mentor and working with them to ensure that you have enough time for self care, sleep, etc. It also depends on how efficient of a worker you are. Some people probably spend a lot more time studying for class than necessary - time that might be better spent on research efforts, etc.

The current system supports the ideal that psychologists only work during the day. Is this necessarily true? No. Why should professors be any different? And, for that matter, why should 12 hour days be the standard by which both students and Professors are judged? This, if we really look at it, is a holdover from an anachronistic ideal of the professional class that doesn't fit modern times or modern lives at all.

I don't really understand what you are saying here. I've seen plenty of evening classes. I teach evening classes. While I consider myself to be busy, my schedule is fairly flexible. I don't work 12 hour days anymore, usually. But interestingly enough, a lot of my friends in other professions still do. I don't know many people with full time jobs that actually only work 40 hours in a week.

And so, another deterrent, or rather a financial exclusion. The wealthy, or the young and credit-worthy, are the only populations deserving of an education. How is that different from an aristocracy? Doesn't that merely avoid the question of equality by predetermining outcomes? Only the outliers in the system prevail, and increasingly so as incomes have grown less and less equal.

Requiring people to work full time as a doctoral student is not unreasonable at all, and ensures quality training. How is that an aristocracy? Any good program comes funded anyways, so the loans aren't really an issue unless you want to supplement your stipend.

In what way would an extension in time spent in a graduate program reduce the value, or efficacy of a program? If what we know about virtuosity is true, that it takes approximately 10 years of persistent practice to attain, wouldn't that be a good thing?

People do exactly this. Again, I am not sure with how you have seen this modeled, but plenty of students take a longer time to complete the program if they don't want to put in more time per day/week earlier on. I don't really understand your complaint.

This thread goes back and forth between UG, MA, and PhD education and I think the implications are different for each. However, speaking of PhD education...

The thing is no one *needs* a PhD. There is NO argument to be made that it is essential for employment (particularly if you are already working another job while attaining it). It is very optional. The jobs that really need a PhD (e.g,, academia) are just as demanding once you land them as the current grad school model.

Also, I don't think arguing that traditional PhD programs change their way of operating will go anywhere. The current model is working for the programs. Also, have med schools moved to a PT model (even though there is a need for many specialties of MD's)? Sure, sometimes the intensity of grad school/med school seems over the top, but it isn't going to change. And there is an excess of psychologists right now, so I don't think anyone is sitting around thinking of ways to let more people become psychologists. There are law schools with more PT models, but now lawyers are a dime a dozen and many JD's can't find work in the field.

Dr. E

I appreciate beingintherapy's thoughtful post, even if I do disagree with them in a few respects.

Aside from echoing some of the points that have been made, I also think it is important to consider different types of educational programs. In my experience, I haven't really seen obvious entitlement at the doctoral level - and a lot of my contemporaries in school were much older. No one could work full time and attend a doctoral program - and I don't think that should be allowed. If you want a quality doctoral education, then you need to do it full time. If you need to keep your hours reasonable (e.g., 40 hour weeks), then you accomplish that by taking a longer time to graduate. Pretty simple, really. There are people that hit the 12-14 hour days like myself to get done in 5 years, and there are some that had kids and took 7 instead. I think Dr. E's point is important - we make conscious choices when it comes to how to balance our time. My wife and I completely delayed our goals of having children because of the time and financial limitations of my graduate program. That was a huge sacrifice. Had we had children - I would have had to approach training, where we lived, etc. in a different way. I would have lived in a less expensive area, worked fewer hours, and taken longer to finish. I know people that had children in graduate school, and that is what they had to do. I didn't really see any complaining about that - it's how doctoral education is.

What I have observed with entitlement has been in our masters programs. I think it is pretty common for students (of all ages) to be working full time during these programs, and I really don't see a problem with that as long as they have appropriately looked at how to manage their time. I think some of these students end up biting off more than they can chew, or view their involvement as a transaction and think that they ought to be guaranteed a good grade.

I did exactly that, yep. I knew going in that I wasn't in a place where I was prepared to consistently work 70-80 hours on-campus per week, so I kept it to a more traditional and manageable (for me) average of 40-50 while understanding that this would delay my graduation by a couple years. It's thus very possible to complete a psych doctoral program while keeping to the more "standard" 40-hour work week, as Pragma has said. However, also has Pragma has said, doing so on a part-time basis really isn't (and shouldn't be) possible.

To me, it simply boils down to the issue of ensuring a minimum level of competence. We seem to have conflated undergrad and grad training at some point in the thread (I thought we were talking about undergrad?) but I think the point remains the same either way. If someone finds a way to do so more efficiently and gets there with fewer hours (or spacing those hours out over a longer period of time, or whatever)...great! That isn't really what the thread is about though. Its about folks saying "The system owes me the opportunity to become a psychologist. If I don't have the time to become a competent one, the system needs to redefine competence to something realistic for ME because I'm what matters in this world".

The latter smacks of entitlement and it has caused problems far beyond the scope of our field. (and I'd argue is even more prevalent in primary and secondary education). If we can demonstrate a means for people to achieve similar levels of competence with less work...great! I'd love to work fewer hours. If we find a way to instantly beam hundreds of hours of knowledge/skill/experience into my brain...I'm all for it. Instead, we're left with a situation where things require a certain degree of time/effort to achieve a minimum level of competence. A bachelor's generally requires less than a master's, which generally requires less than a doctorate. Within that, everyone will require different amounts of time based on individual goals, innate abilities for certain topics, etc. I'm against anything that risks lowering standards for the field because frankly, they are already too low and we have too many problems that seem to result from that. I'm actually not entirely opposed to part-time study. I'd greatly prefer that to many of the programs we have now where someone can work close to full-time and STILL get out in 4 years. I'm not sure how that is possible unless these people are simply learning less. From the folks in those programs I've met...that seems to be exactly what happens. Are they inept therapists? Some are...some are not. Even those who are great would likely be served equally well with a master's degree and are in positions where they are essentially functioning as someone with a master's anyways....so why not do that? Why does doctoral education have to be redefined for this person just because they want a doctoral degree for some reason?

Yeah good points Ollie and Dr. E.

I'm not sure how we got to the dotoral level, but I actually am in a position where I teach students from the whole range. My original post was more about my experiences with undergraduate and masters students. That's where I deal with the "give me an extension because I am so busy" stuff.

But I would agree that the models of training doctoral level psychologists out there that cater to people who work full time are problematic, IMO. You just would not have nearly enough time to focus - and to absorb all of that material, you definitely need to focus. Between courses, research, and clinical training, you already have a lot on your plate. I can't fathom how some Saturday program is going to give someone equivalent training, or that the student will put in as much time as they need. If we're really arguing about self care for students - full time work + full time school is not a good way to do it. If it is about part time study, I don't think that gives you sufficient exposure/focus at the doctoral level.

Applying the broad "entitlement" construct to doctorate programs, I suppose that some students who think they deserve to have a doctorate no matter what and aren't willing to make appropriate sacrifices in order to get a quality education - those students are operating in an entitled way. But I also think some are just naive and sign up because it is convenient. I think that such access to poor training is a systemic problem. The expectation that education should always be convenient is entitlement, IMO.

Several of those who've responded in this thread are very thoughtful, intelligent professionals who are really trying to insure that students get the education they need to face their challenges. I hear that, and it's commendable. Nevertheless, what's the first thing in anyone learns in stats? A population isn't defined by an anecdote.

Look up the demographics for yourselves. I know you won't trust anything I say. One can't magically get rid of kids, as has been noted several times. The suggestion that having a child defines the limit of achievement for the rest of one's life is both interesting and cruel. A natural, and expected part of the life cycle is not welcome in academia? Whether you're aware of it or not, that's precisely what you're saying.

It is clear that most Americans work more than 50 hours a week. Most with kids do so as well as pull a double shift. If you can work 60 hours a week, and have time to do a good job raising your kids, I'd like to meet your wife (male or female), because I know you're not the one doing it.

Even in a fully funded program, 25-30k a year is chicken scratch. I've done it before, and on much less. But not when child care, school, after school programs, educational opportunities, and appropriate entertainment soak it up by the ton while I'm 60 hours a week busy, and probably doing more to explore in the ways I want to explore.

The game is rigged, gentlemen, whether you like the associations of that or not. If we take two runners and tie one to a boulder, who do you think will win?

Undergrad is only slightly better, but the message is clear: children and college don't mix. I suppose that's what makes it WEIRD.

If the game is rigged to provide a minimum of competence, so be it. If you can show that another training model is equivalent or superior. Feel free to try it out. The thing is, we make life choices, and we live by them. You don't get a do over button. Some people can handle a career switch this intensive just fine. Some can't. I, for one, am not for the relaxing of standards in the field. If anything, I agree with another poster that they need to be more rigorous, far too many programs out there offering subpar training and education.

Look up the demographics for yourselves. I know you won't trust anything I say. One can't magically get rid of kids, as has been noted several times. The suggestion that having a child defines the limit of achievement for the rest of one's life is both interesting and cruel. A natural, and expected part of the life cycle is not welcome in academia? Whether you're aware of it or not, that's precisely what you're saying.

It is clear that most Americans work more than 50 hours a week. Most with kids do so as well as pull a double shift. If you can work 60 hours a week, and have time to do a good job raising your kids, I'd like to meet your wife (male or female), because I know you're not the one doing it.

Even in a fully funded program, 25-30k a year is chicken scratch. I've done it before, and on much less. But not when child care, school, after school programs, educational opportunities, and appropriate entertainment soak it up by the ton while I'm 60 hours a week busy, and probably doing more to explore in the ways I want to explore.

The game is rigged, gentlemen, whether you like the associations of that or not. If we take two runners and tie one to a boulder, who do you think will win?

Undergrad is only slightly better, but the message is clear: children and college don't mix. I suppose that's what makes it WEIRD.

I have never heard anyone say anything of the sort. I have heard people say that just because you do, doesn't mean you can do less work and/or do it on a different timetable. As a professor, I am sure your kids are great, mine are too, but my responsibility is not to your family or your children, its a to uphold training standards of a profession.

With regards to your other highlighted statement...what a dumb thing to say. What an egocentric statement/perception of the world.

Again, I think this whole topic goes back to life priorities and how the shifting of those priorities makes certain other life goals more much difficult. Its not a very difficult concept. I teach this to my 2 year old every day. To have a grown up such as yourself be so whiny about it is annoying and doesn't not arouse much sympathy from me, in case you couldn't tell.

Last edited:
Several of those who've responded in this thread are very thoughtful, intelligent professionals who are really trying to insure that students get the education they need to face their challenges. I hear that, and it's commendable. Nevertheless, what's the first thing in anyone learns in stats? A population isn't defined by an anecdote.

Obviously. But sometimes we generate questions based on anecdotes, which is what the entire thread is about. Also, defining entitlement is somewhat subjective.

Look up the demographics for yourselves. I know you won't trust anything I say.

I really have no idea where all of your self victimization is coming from, but it is annoying. As for "looking up the demographics" I'd be curious if there is a centralized database of those. At least for me, everywhere I have been has had a high number of nontraditional students. Perhaps the experience is an outlier - perhaps it is not. But I'm curious where you get your opinion from, as I haven't seen you present any numbers.

I'm not sure how to have a discussion with that. I'd just point out that there a numerous barriers for people out there - financial, time, disability, caretaking, etc. These are not specific to nontraditional students. You seem to think that there is just one type of boulder out there affecting only one segment of the population. I've seen so many younger students struggle to make education fit into their schedules too.

Then at the core of what you are saying - you seem to think that access should be more important than training standards. I didn't get into this field because I expected things to be catered to me. I got into the field because I was ready to do what it takes to become a good psychologist. Therein seems to lie our fundamental disagreement when it comes to doctoral training. I've seen no evidence that a part time model would work, and personally, I doubt that it could ever be equivalent.

Side note - some of these posters are women (not gentleman), and your comment about wives taking care of children was very off-putting.

I don't understand why you think that taking responsibility for the life choices one has made is "weird". Yes, it is much (!) harder to manage going to school while having kids and/or working full time full time but you have yet to provide a reason why educational standards should be lowered just because of the life choice you've made.

It is clear that most Americans work more than 50 hours a week. Most with kids do so as well as pull a double shift. If you can work 60 hours a week, and have time to do a good job raising your kids, I'd like to meet your wife (male or female), because I know you're not the one doing it

I currently live in a high cost area and know several people who are graduate students who have kids, specifically where both partners are graduate students. Guess what? They're somehow managing it financially.

But wasn't it your decision to have those kids? Nobody really forced you to have them and nobody forced you to attend school while having them. It is exactly this sentence that demonstrates entitlement. You make others (aka "the system") responsible for the fact that your life choices are making it more challenging for you to obtain an education where expectations are the same for everyone. And it's not like there aren't options for people in your situation (e.g. evening, weekend classes, etc.) but you can't seriously expect that you need to do less work to obtain the same degree.

Last edited:
Nevertheless, the "suck it up, I did it," answer, still won't suffice.

This is probably my biggest pet peeve...you apparently think you deserve something different? Why? Isn't that kinda going back to the whole definition of entitlement that started this thread?

You want a "level playing field where you can actually win?" Get real, pal. The world isn't a level playing field where everybody gets the same opportunities. Limits are a natural part of individual differences for goodness sake. It doesn't mean we impose arbitrary ones, but it does mean that sometimes there ARE limits based on choices you've made and certain levels of intelligence and achievement. You come to the playing field. It doesn't come to you.

Last edited:
If you can work 60 hours a week, and have time to do a good job raising your kids, I'd like to meet your wife (male or female), because I know you're not the one doing it.

children and college don't mix.

As a woman who just completed a clinical psychology PhD program in 5 years with two children (I had the second one in graduate school), I feel that you have no ground to stand on for which you base your assertions. What does come through your posts is the idea that you deserve special treatment, or should be entitled to special treatment in college because you have children.

I had my first son prior to completing undergrad. Not once did I ever ask for an extension or preferential treatment because I had kids, nor did I ever feel that I deserved one! Having children was my choice, and I was willing to work to make that work for my career AND my family. I followed the same principles in graduate school. My children were a huge motivating factor in helping me to learn how to manage my time to make sure that I had a decent balance across my training years. I was able to prioritize my children and my career. This meant I didn't hang out often with my cohort, rather; I spent more time at home with my family.

In graduate school, I was able to work 60-70 hours per week, and this declined (a little bit) after my second year as my course load decreased. I set my schedule up so that I was able to be away from home for 40-45 hours per week, and after my kids were in bed I would spend a few hours doing work. Totally possible to do, and I have seen many others without kids choose to structure their time the same way.

I chose to enter graduate school with children, and we all reaped benefits and will continue to do so as my career continues. We lived in an awesome city, met great people, and my (now) husband stayed at home with our boys.We learned to budget and take advantage of free activities-such as checking out museum passes from the library instead of paying for admission. We also got to go on several fun trips because of conference presentations (and we got really good at getting really low prices on flights). My husband coached my sons' sports activities and we were all very involved in our neighborhood and community.

Being a non-traditional student throughout my entire college career (UG and Grad) helped me to prioritize what was important to me and my family. I knew what I wanted to do when I started my program. I knew what type of time and financial commitment it would require. We went in with our eyes wide open, had great opportunities, and have no regrets. Not once did I ever feel that I deserved preferential treatment because I had kids, in fact, I would have been offended had I been treated differently because I had kids.

Your sense of entitlement is offensive to me as you are perpetuating the myth that college and children don't mix.

As others have said, any career requires time management skills and an ability to prioritize what is important to your career and life. The demands of work/family balance are not specific to psychology graduate training programs and the expectations/requirements of being a graduate student should not change because you have other priorities or struggle with time management.

As others have said, any career requires time management skills and an ability to prioritize what is important to your career and life. The demands of work/family balance are not specific to psychology graduate training programs and the expectations/requirements of being a graduate student should not change because you have other priorities or struggle with time management.

It sounds like you really worked quite efficiently. Nice work - I don't think my own time management skills would have been up to par with 2 kids at home - I personally probably would have had to take at least another year or two. The way that you organized your time sounds a lot like what I have seen people with kids do (whether they are in school or not in school but have demanding jobs). That post bedtime period seems like a very important one for some folks to really stay productive. I think your example shows that it is possible, but not easy.

Congratulations and thanks for these sentiments. I agree with your quoted words above. I think it should apply really to anyone at any point in the higher education process.

As a woman who just completed a clinical psychology PhD program in 5 years with two children (I had the second one in graduate school), I feel that you have no ground to stand on for which you base your assertions. What does come through your posts is the idea that you deserve special treatment, or should be entitled to special treatment in college because you have children.

You definitely have my respect, thanks for posting that.

I felt like bumping this today. Over 4 years later, I can say that I still come across the same trends when teaching master's courses, but not doctoral courses.

I think doctoral education just demands more buy-in both implicitly and explicitly, and thus, entitlement seems to be less of an issue (at least for me) here. In contrast, the masters students I teach generally have a lot of other things on their plate. That yields more frequent stressful situations for them where they have to make tougher choices about their time. I've noticed that it seems like school becomes the lowest priority when some students have to make those choices.

It seems like it is necessary a lot for me to have candid discussions with students about what is realistic for them in terms of managing their time. While certainly some responsibility comes from the academic institution to focus on advising students properly and being realistic about how demanding educational programs can be, I get the sense that a lot of this goes in one ear and out the other. Students often just want to finish their masters and they want to finish it as quickly as they can so that they can take whatever next step they want to take. A small (but significant) number of students seem to have it in their mind that we have to relax standards for them so that they don't have to be delayed.

I've come up with some course-level policies that allow for some flexibility (but take away credit) - a good example of this is just taking off a percentage for every day something is turned in late. Even though I don't like it much, I've adopted that policy because I can just students up front that it is up to them if they want to lose credit and take more time to complete an assignment. Fewer annoying discussions for me. But I never bend on quality.

Reactions: 1 users
I felt like bumping this today. Over 4 years later, I can say that I still come across the same trends when teaching master's courses, but not doctoral courses.

I think doctoral education just demands more buy-in both implicitly and explicitly, and thus, entitlement seems to be less of an issue (at least for me) here. In contrast, the masters students I teach generally have a lot of other things on their plate. That yields more frequent stressful situations for them where they have to make tougher choices about their time. I've noticed that it seems like school becomes the lowest priority when some students have to make those choices.

It seems like it is necessary a lot for me to have candid discussions with students about what is realistic for them in terms of managing their time. While certainly some responsibility comes from the academic institution to focus on advising students properly and being realistic about how demanding educational programs can be, I get the sense that a lot of this goes in one ear and out the other. Students often just want to finish their masters and they want to finish it as quickly as they can so that they can take whatever next step they want to take. A small (but significant) number of students seem to have it in their mind that we have to relax standards for them so that they don't have to be delayed.

I've come up with some course-level policies that allow for some flexibility (but take away credit) - a good example of this is just taking off a percentage for every day something is turned in late. Even though I don't like it much, I've adopted that policy because I can just students up front that it is up to them if they want to lose credit and take more time to complete an assignment. Fewer annoying discussions for me. But I never bend on quality.

Straight out of undergrad to APA-accredited PsyD program here (hopefully we can leave the PhD/PsyD debate out of this one)

As a younger student, I do feel that the older students in my cohort do speak anecdotally a lot more than the younger ones, overall. I never knew that this was such a commend trend until I came upon this thread. Also, I remember in my first year, when some students in my cohort asked the professor explicitly for a deadline extension for the entire class because of midterms/finals and other papers being due all at once, I was shocked. I thought that was the ultimate taboo in graduate school. But now, I am slowly conforming to the idea that it is only normal. I will still never be the one to ask for an extension but that is just in the nature of my own personal experiences of never having asked one before.

In terms of entitlement, I personally never felt entitled to any preferential treatment. I definitely overloaded myself with jobs and clinical experiences my first year and was at around 60-75 hours of work (school + work) a week. It was stressful meeting deadlines and finishing papers on time while still making sure that they turn out to be quality work. Thank God that the students in my cohort asked for extensions!!

My question to those who teach: What are some biases that you have discovered about yourself when teaching older students, younger students, and non-traditional students?

As funny as it may sound...this thread reminded me of how much I miss having students and teaching. Feel like it's the only major downside of my current AMC gig (besides being soft money).

Need to start cozying up to a university side department to see if I can get a joint appointment...

As funny as it may sound...this thread reminded me of how much I miss having students and teaching. Feel like it's the only major downside of my current AMC gig (besides being soft money).

Need to start cozying up to a university side department to see if I can get a joint appointment...

Students and interns are fun. Miss it. But, not enough, I guess...

How might one stay engaged in training when they are no longer in the trenches? Serious question.

Last edited:

How might one stay engaged in training when they are no longer in the trenches? Serious question.
From my experiences in AMCs and VA settings, probably the closest things "on the job" are mentoring/training students clinically, or giving lectures to/teaching medical residents. Not the same thing exactly.

Another possibility is to just adjunct some courses, or see if you can get a part-time appointment somewhere. Not exactly lucrative, but if you just miss grading papers and complaining about student entitlement, then it's not a bad position :)

From my experiences in AMCs and VA settings, probably the closest things "on the job" are mentoring/training students clinically, or giving lectures to/teaching medical residents. Not the same thing exactly.

Another possibility is to just adjunct some courses, or see if you can get a part-time appointment somewhere. Not exactly lucrative, but if you just miss grading papers and complaining about student entitlement, then it's not a bad position :)

I used to be a TD...so that more of what i was referring to mostly (supervision, training), etc. I am also no longer at the VA

This is one of my own major factors that influenced me to apply to psychology faculty jobs rather than trying to stay on at a high-powered med school for my career (I'm on postdoc now).

I used to be a TD...so that more of what i was referring to mostly (supervision, training), etc. I am also no longer at the VA

Are there any training sites near you? Maybe you could get an adjunct appointment and offer clinical supervision?