Student Health Insurance Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cidanu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I just want to caution everyone as they're considering admissions offers in the upcoming months to seriously take into account the student health insurance plans at each school. Unless you will be covered by your parents or spouse or qualify for public healthcare, you may find yourself buying the student health insurance plan. These plans can be anything from basic accident insurance only to competitive coverage equivalent to that of university employees.

At my school for example, the maximum annual pharmacy benefits are $1600. This may seem like a lot but it's not. I was moderately healthy when I started school so I decided to risk it to go to my number 1 choice. I was recently diagnosed with a medical condition that's easy to manage but the maintenace drug costs over $2000 a year. So now I'm hoping I don't get sick or have an accident because if so I'll be taking out Grad Plus Loans to pay for medical bills!

I'm sure many of you are aware of this already, but just in case now is the first time any of you will be shopping for health insurance, it's definitely something to consider as part of your admissions packages.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All.

I just want to caution everyone as they're considering admissions offers in the upcoming months to seriously take into account the student health insurance plans at each school. Unless you will be covered by your parents or spouse or qualify for public healthcare, you may find yourself buying the student health insurance plan. These plans can be anything from basic accident insurance only to competitive coverage equivalent to that of university employees.

At my school for example, the maximum annual pharmacy benefits are $1600. This may seem like a lot but it's not. I was moderately healthy when I started school so I decided to risk it to go to my number 1 choice. I was recently diagnosed with a medical condition that's easy to manage but the maintenace drug costs over $2000 a year. So now I'm hoping I don't get sick or have an accident because if so I'll be taking out Grad Plus Loans to pay for medical bills!

I'm sure many of you are aware of this already, but just in case now is the first time any of you will be shopping for health insurance, it's definitely something to consider as part of your admissions packages.

Good Luck!

Some schools already include it, but thanks for the heads up!!

Its appreciated.
I hope all works out for you!

Thank you for the warning, and I hope everything works out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the warning! Hope you're getting stronger!!!

Thanks for all the support!

I am doing fine-just stocking up on all the free samples and hoping my boyfriend will propose soon so I can get his federal benefits!