undergrad health-care experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carol_J

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a 3rd year BS Psy student and I recently started to consider other various career options. I was looking into audiology, and was wondering what type of undergrad experience do you need? I know I'll probably need to take at least a semester of SLP classes... right? Do you need to be a communications d/o major to go into this field?

well, I'm just considering my options, (i'll try and shadow local audiologist)

-Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Depends where you want to go... some programs are more suited for comm sci majors (majority) and other programs are more designed for science/pscyh majors (pco). hope this helps!

As mentioned, it depends on the school, you really have to look at the individual requirements. It won't hurt to take a few intro comm sci classes just to have a base of knowledge. Out of the 8 people in my class, 5 of us were comm sci undergrad, 2 were deaf ed, and 1 was a bio major.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i'm not mistaken, most programs require that you take some pre-req courses in comm sci

I was a psych undergrad at a school without a communication disorders department.

I took pre-med classes to fulfill my electives and additional sciences. This will leave the door open in case you determine that Audiology isn't a viable route at graduation.

Make sure you do well in your research methods and any class that involves statistics in your psychology core classes.

Like others have said, take a look at schools you are interested in applying to. They usually have a list of pre-requisite courses (some do not require any).

IMHO if you aren't sold on Audiology, I wouldn't integrate classes like "Intro to Audiology" into my cirriculum just yet (unless it can be used for graduation). When you get into a school they will analyze your transcript hard trying to find anything that might satisfy a requirement. Taking an additional semester of requirements after graduation is better then delaying your graduation for a year (or more) trying to fit those courses into your schedule.