Student host or home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vahiyat

Reaction score
Should I apply for student host program or stay at home for an interview that is in the same city as mine? (An hour drive)

Members don't see this ad.

Although my home address is about a 2 hour commute (albeit via public transportation, very convenient), I plan to stay at home for all of my interviews in the area. It's nice to have my own bed to sleep on, and 2 AM access to all the snacks I want. Having my parents around for a nice morning pep talk is nice too :)

Reactions: 1 users
Should I apply for student host program or stay at home for an interview that is in the same city as mine? (An hour drive)
No pint in doing a host program if you can just stay home. Using student host has no benefit to the application as far as I am aware.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No pint in doing a host program if you can just stay home. Using student host has no benefit to the application as far as I am aware.
They can give you insights on the school, not to mention the interview, immediately before the interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you expand?
If you stay with a student host the night before your interview, you can talk with them about what the interview is like and get tips from them, which you can then use in the interview the following day.

If you stay with a student host the night before your interview, you can talk with them about what the interview is like and get tips from them, which you can then use in the interview the following day.
Oh, gotcha. I suppose that may be worthwhile. I have only done hotels (already booked all hotels this far).

To OP, I would probably say then it is up to you...

Honestly, stay where you’re most comfortable and can get the best night sleep.

I personally would just stay home, mainly because I sleep better in my own bed. But if you want the opportunity to talk with a current student about the school I would stay with the host (although, you should be able to speak with current students during the interview day anyway).

something to be aware of is that at some schools, student hosting spots can be limited (us hosts have busy lives too!) so if you don't need to travel very far, it may be better to leave the spot open for someone else (plus you'll probably be more comfortable at home).

Yup I stayed at home!
something to be aware of is that at some schools, student hosting spots can be limited (us hosts have busy lives too!) so if you don't need to travel very far, it may be better to leave the spot open for someone else (plus you'll probably be more comfortable at home).

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile