Student loan after bankruptcy?

Started by Teddygirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Teddygirl

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Due to my overwhelming medical bills I was declared bankrupt last year. I want to join for my graduation. Can I still apply for a loan?
 
Are we talking chapter 7 or 13? Chapter 7 wouldn't be as big of a deal as you won't still owe your debtors and it's over relatively quickly but it does stay on file for I think 10 years. The short answer is yes, theoretically there is nothing stopping you. It really depends on who would be willing to give you a loan with a history of bankruptcy on your credit history.