Army Student Loan Forgiveness after 10 years of service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evistor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I heard some people saying that active duty members can have their remaining balance discharged after 10 years of service.

The logic behind it is that military is a government organization so any military personnel should be eligible. (Is what they say)

Is this true?

I did not receive HPSP and am aware of the military student loan repayment program but I will still be in debt due to my colossal $600k+ student loan.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I heard some people saying that active duty members can have their remaining balance discharged after 10 years of service.

The logic behind it is that military is a government organization so any military personnel should be eligible. (Is what they say)

Is this true?

I did not receive HPSP and am aware of the military student loan repayment program but I will still be in debt due to my colossal $600k+ student loan.

Thanks in advance!
Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Google "Public Service Loan Forgiveness" and you'll see what the program is all about. Military does count as public employment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any govt position counts as qualified employment under PSLF.

Last edited:
However, given the difficulty many are having with actually having their loans put in the correct repayment programs and uncooperative lenders, I wouldn't necessarily count on it being a certainty that your loans would be forgiven.

Reactions: 2 users
However, given the difficulty many are having with actually having their loans put in the correct repayment programs and uncooperative lenders, I wouldn't necessarily count on it being a certainty that your loans would be forgiven.

This

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the input.
With estimated $600k+ student loan debt after graduation, I will make sure I find the correct repayment program.