Student Representative for _OMA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrenalinejunkie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How beneficial is it (on residency apps, etc) is it to be the student representative/liaison for your state's osteopathic medical association? One of our upperclassmen asked me if I would be interested in being the rep next year and while I know it would be a great opportunity to network, I'm not sure if it will give me an edge when applying to ACGME residencies. Does anyone have any input or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

LOL

It means jack ****.

You're better off killing boards rather than doing fluff for ur app.

PS:

You're at a DO program sweetheart. You need all the help you can get trying to kill USMLE cause being a "student rep" with a **** step 1 just means you did dumb things with time you could have spent studying.

don't believe the hype.

Reactions: 1 users
You're at a DO program sweetheart. You need all the help you can get trying to kill USMLE cause being a "student rep" with a **** step 1 just means you did dumb things with time you could have spent studying.

don't believe the hype.
THISSSSS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the general sdn advice is to do it only if youre at least somewhat passionate about it. Everyone knows that med school clubs are really just groupchats where people argue about what kind of food to order for the next meeting or what color their club t shirts will be. IMO you're probably better off spending your extra time on studying or life. Not that I'm a program director or anything but I wouldn't wanna hang out with anyone who is genuinely excited or passionate about their school's SOMA or whatever.

If it's something you're legitimately interested in and it's not going to get in the way of studying, go for it. No harm in it, will give you something to talk about at interviews, leadership's a good thing (even if it doesn't matter to PDs as much as your USMLE) and lord knows we need leaders who actually want to do it and have common sense. And, if you want to stay in that state/region, the networking could be handy.

So no, it's not going to impress any ACGME program enough to invite you to interview if your scores/application isn't up to snuff otherwise, but if you want the opportunity to represent your class/have a voice/build a network, go for it.

I think the general sdn advice is to do it only if youre at least somewhat passionate about it. Everyone knows that med school clubs are really just groupchats where people argue about what kind of food to order for the next meeting or what color their club t shirts will be. IMO you're probably better off spending your extra time on studying or life. Not that I'm a program director or anything but I wouldn't wanna hang out with anyone who is genuinely excited or passionate about their school's SOMA or whatever.

I used to ONLY go for the free food and drinks.

Then I'd dip out by pretending I got a very important phone call and never went back to any meetings.

NO EFFS GIVEN.

I used to ONLY go for the free food and drinks.

Then I'd dip out by pretending I got a very important phone call and never went back to any meetings.

NO EFFS GIVEN.
Lol #studentlife, having no conscious does come in handy sometimes. I feel bad when I take the drug reps food and then immediately circle out as they talk to someone else, but talk ain't paying these bills.

Generally this kind of thing is considered fluff but leadership in your state Student Osteopathic Medical Association (what I’m assuming you mean) or Student Government can actually be a big deal, much bigger deal than your internal medicine club president or something. These take a lot of work, open you up to a ton of networking, a ton of scholarships, and have actual input to policy if you make it far enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol #studentlife, having no conscious does come in handy sometimes. I feel bad when I take the drug reps food and then immediately circle out as they talk to someone else, but talk ain't paying these bills.

**** 'em.

I realized after orientation that EVERYTHING from my school is being provided for by OUR money... it's INCLUDED in our tuition... and they act like it's a FAVOR to us? PFFFT.

and every year they keep hiking their prices up but we are still using old lecture material from 2012?

Hmmm.

I am solely PAYING this school for a token to sit for boards and for access to their rotation sites. That's all.

Everything else is FOR ME.. BY ME.

It's OUR hard work that gets us this far... do not be fooled.

So if I don't want to do something... best believe I will not.

I'm paying 50K a semester and my bull**** preceptor for this rotation wants me to only shadow and not actually present a patient to him/her?

Well cool.. but I'm taking all of his candy, his drinks, his coffee, his donuts, and whatever else that is disposable because I paid for it.

If they don't wanna add to my education then cool.

But I'ma get my money's worth anywhere I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
**** 'em.

I realized after orientation that EVERYTHING from my school is being provided for by OUR money... it's INCLUDED in our tuition...

and every year they keep hiking their prices up but we are still using old lecture material from 2012?

Hmmm.

I am solely PAYING this school for a token to sit for boards and for access to their rotation sites. That's all.

Everything else is FOR ME.. BY ME.

It's OUR hard work that gets us this far... do not be fooled.

So if I don't want to do something... best believe I will not.

I'm paying 50K a semester and my bull**** preceptor wants me to only shadow and not actually present a patient to him/her?

Well cool.. but I'm taking all of his candy, his drinks, his coffee, his donuts, and whatever else that is disposable because I paid for it.

If I could x50 like this comment I would. The whole thing is golden, platinum covered, diamonds of text from the mind of greatness. These things can't be bought, only taught. This is #KeepinItRealGoneRite

If I could x50 like this comment I would. The whole thing is golden, platinum covered, diamonds of text from the mind of greatness. These things can't be bought, only taught. This is #KeepinItRealGoneRite

STAHHHPPP IT BORN.

MARRY ME NOW.

We could couples match, I am gonna need you to rock out on step II so you can carry me tho. :nod:

ahhhh damn.. the pressure .

anything for u tho bae.

we gonna get thru this.

Generally this kind of thing is considered fluff but leadership in your state Student Osteopathic Medical Association (what I’m assuming you mean) or Student Government can actually be a big deal, much bigger deal than your internal medicine club president or something. These take a lot of work, open you up to a ton of networking, a ton of scholarships, and have actual input to policy if you make it far enough.

It's my state's Osteopathic Medical Association i.e. FOMA, but I'd be the student rep who goes to meetings every few months, etc. Advocacy is an interest, but I'm not sure that I'm so passionate about it that I'd want to pursue it hardcore.

And, if you want to stay in that state/region, the networking could be handy.

I also don't want to stay in this region of the United States, so it seems like other states in other regions won't really care about advocacy work in a separate state?

I know, #1 on the priority list is to kill it on the USMLE exam. I don't want to do anything to derail me from that - I just figured I'd get some input before declining rather than telling them a flat out no. Thank you!

I'm paying 50K a semester and my bull**** preceptor for this rotation wants me to only shadow and not actually present a patient to him/her?

@QueenJames, I'm going to follow these words of wisdom.

It's my state's Osteopathic Medical Association i.e. FOMA, but I'd be the student rep who goes to meetings every few months, etc. Advocacy is an interest, but I'm not sure that I'm so passionate about it that I'd want to pursue it hardcore.

If you’re interested, and it’s a minor commitment (every few months doesn’t sound so bad) go for it.