Student visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
He will be considered an international applicant if he is here on a student visa and doesn't get a greencard before he applies.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup it will be much harder getting in. Source: Came to america international, got a greencard a year before applying to schools. Have lots of international premed friends who are having a tough time unless they are very very stellar applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
can't say for sure since I'm not @NotAnotherPreMed, but I read that as he got "lucky" with the green card status while most of his international premed friends do NOT have that luxury. Therefore, they have a much tougher time.

I believe they are saying the same thing.
Thanks guys!

The information sounds a little conflicting though. Banthapug, you're saying he will be just like us (citizens) if he gets a green card before applying to medical schools but NAPM is saying they still had a very hard time even with a greencard.

Last edited:
If he can get a green card, he's no longer considered international.
The difficulty is in obtaining that green card. A student visa is not really a visa on the path to immigration.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah BluMist's interpretation of what I said is correct. Analogy time: I have an international friend with a 3.9something GPA from a top 20 school..35 MCAT...decent research and ECs..applied to many good schools and some mid-tiers and all too..so far only has 1 interview from a medical school that normally accepts people much lower than his stats. I know this is a small sample size and all and definitely isn't everything- maybe if the international candidate is a URM or has a good 'hook' in addition to strong academic records then he will have great chances! Applying as an international student definitely makes the process harder. Not impossible either- just you'll have to have a stronger application than the average American applicant for the same spot. Also if you do get a greencard you're treated more or less like any US citizen would in the application process. You can PM me for any other questions/clarifications!

It's very hard for an int'l who is coming here only for school to get a green card. Rarely do such people have the income to show that they won't be a burden on this country, nor do they have a US sponsor.

Often int'l students who get green cards have family that live here and the family gets green cards.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses everybody!

Let me ask you guys this: would it be easier for him to practice here if he did medical school overseas and applied to residencies here after taking the accreditation tests or if he did premed here and applied to US medical schools as an international student?

The path will be very hard regardless, especially if he is interested in any competitive specialties.

Let me ask you guys this: would it be easier for him to practice here if he did medical school overseas and applied to residencies here after taking the accreditation tests or if he did premed here and applied to US medical schools as an international student?
If your friend has enough money to pay for housing and tuition for 4 years in the US, he should just find someone on craigslist willing to marry for a green card. Usually costs ~$20k, I'm sure certain ethnicities (Chinese, Korean, Indian) have black/underground markets for this type of business. The entire process takes >2 years, so be sure to get a head start and don't focus on it in his junior/senior year. Also find an immigration lawyer ASAP.

cant-tell-if-serious.png

If your friend has enough money to pay for housing and tuition for 4 years in the US, he should just find someone on craigslist willing to marry for a green card. Usually costs ~$20k, I'm sure certain ethnicities (Chinese, Korean, Indian) have black/underground markets for this type of business. The entire process takes >2 years, so be sure to get a head start and don't focus on it in his junior/senior year. Also find an immigration lawyer ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
If the incentive for the marriage is suspect and an investigation ensues, OP can kiss any chance of medical school goodbye...

Reactions: 1 users
have a friend from overseas who got a student visa to come and study pre med at a university in Indiana. He does not have a US citizenship.

I see this a lot: premed int'ls coming to this country for undergrad with the hopes of getting into a US MD school. However, the number of int'ls (including Canadians) that actually do apply seems rather low to me. Is that because many aspiring int'ls end up learning that they won't likely get accepted or that they'd likely need to deposit 1-4 years of tuition in escrow, so they many decide not to apply?

Of 1,901 internationals that applied, 300 matriculated:
https://students-residents.aamc.org...ool/article/applying-international-applicant/
Look here for outcomes by country: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf